PDA

View Full Version : GU111 3lttd Clutch Replacement

jimb
14th June 2015, 12:27 PM
Has anyone replaced the clutch and duel mass fly wheel with a standard heavy duty clutch and standard fly wheel.
I have been advised to re-install a duel mass and new clutch same as the original due to the standard heavy duty putting too much stress on the transmission and drive line.
I would like to hear others views if they have carried out the conversion to the heavier clutch.
My reason for considering the heavier clutch is because of the caravan towing that I do and also the cost factor involved.

Rock Trol
14th June 2015, 06:58 PM
I call BS on the too much stress as the drivetrain is the same as the one in the TD4.2 which has a single mass flywheel. What you will notice is that there will be a lot more vibrations (gearbox chatter) coming through and you will need to downshift a little earlier otherwise the car starts vibrating. The dual mass flywheel (CMF) is there to absorb that vibration. For example, coming up to a roundabout on a suburban street you may currently be able to keep it in 3rd but with the single mass flywheel you will probably need to go to second.
That's what I found with my clutch when I swapped it out. A few friends have done the same and no one has regretted it as the clutch pedal feel is much better (not as spongy).

The car will be a little more agricultural than before (more truck like than car like) with the single mass flywheel, that's the only drawback. In my opinion the rest is all positive. You will soon relearn how to drive it so as to avoid it vibrating.

Dr Gary
21st June 2015, 10:21 AM
I had the same experience--better fell but more vibration when "lugging"--which we should not do anyway. Consider the vibration a "Downshift Indicator" LOL

Covo71
21st June 2015, 10:55 AM
I got a single mass put in my GUIII about a month ago and love it. Old dual mass was pretty stuffed so it is so much lighter on the pedal. The vibration I have is when you are getting too slow in a gear and don't change down. Besides that no difference whatsoever. Clutch was about $1200 and $500 labour. Cheaper next time as I will only replace clutch not flywheel. I was quoted $2500+ to replace with a dual mass which is not as strong.