PDA

View Full Version : Sub Tank Operation

yummo
13th June 2015, 12:54 PM
I've just purchased a 2009 Patrol ST, and i'm thinking there's every chance that the sub tank has never been used before.

Is there anything I should do before I start using it?

Now possibly a silly question, but to use the sub tank, do I simply activate the sub tank switch?

threedogs
13th June 2015, 12:59 PM
When you start the motor it will draw a small amout from the subtank. try to leave at least 5 litres in it to keep things lubricated.
when the main gets low hit the aux button and transfer over some fuel, it will transfer till empty,

yummo
13th June 2015, 01:13 PM
Awesome thanks. I didn't realise it transferred the fuel from the aux tank to the main one. I'll throw some fuel at it over coming days.

Bigcol
13th June 2015, 02:15 PM
as TD said,
when you start up, it runs the transfer pump for about 20seconds or something, pumps about 100ml to keep it in working condition

once your main tank is below 2/3rds, if you hit the button, it will transfer (s l o w l y ) into the main, and then switch off when main is full, or you have turned the ignition off

yummo
13th June 2015, 03:55 PM
Thanks guys, greatly appreciated.

the evil twin
13th June 2015, 04:42 PM
snip...

Now possibly a silly question, but to use the sub tank, do I simply activate the sub tank switch?

As per prev posts, and...

To transfer fuel the Sub Tank Computer will monitor the following;
Engine running, Sub Tank pump connected, etc, and
"Main tank less than approx 75% full" which is an output from the Main Tank sender unit
"Sub Tank not empty" which is an output from the Sub Tank Sender Unit.
When you press the "Sub Tank" switch then the green light in the switch will come on and the pump will run
The pump transfers at approx 1 1/2 litres per minute from the sub into the main tank filler neck
You can see it transfer if you take the fuel filler cap off and look in the filler neck

If the sub tank computer detects a fault the orange warning "Sub Tank" light will illuminate on the instrument binnacle and no fuel will be able to be transferred

The system will do a self test every time you start it if conditions are met and will transfer approx 250 mL or more.
This means if you do a lot of daily stop, start driving the Sub Tank will appear to lose fuel.
A week of running around town can transfer 5 or 10 litres just in the self test.
So you can use a 1/4 tank or more from a stock wagon sub tank and never have manually turned on the transfer