PDA

View Full Version : Engine options

RTB
12th June 2015, 07:07 PM
G'day troops,
I have a 95 long wheel base patrol wagon with a 4.2 diesel (none turbo) five speed manual.
I want to replace the engine with something with a bit more grunt for towing and getting up those hills a bit better.
Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
I've had this vehicle since it came of lease in 1998, it's just a DX but it's a beauty with over 500,000k on it.
Has everything I need except the power to climb hills comfortably, and I'm thinking of towing a pop top van shortly.
So is it feasible to put a GU 4.2 turbo diesel into this vehicle ? Or any other options. I am not aware of.
Cheers

MEGOMONSTER
12th June 2015, 07:17 PM
Why not just turbo it. I'm sure many have done the same thing.

gaddy
12th June 2015, 08:30 PM
I'm no expert , but if the cars still good , why not give the engine a freshen up , add a gu turbo and intercooler and enjoy another 500 000 ks

RTB
12th June 2015, 09:00 PM
Thanks, I'll speak to the mechanic, check the real engine status. It might be the cheapest option.

threedogs
13th June 2015, 07:42 AM
Thanks, I'll speak to the mechanic, check the real engine status. It might be the cheapest option.

Have a read from Berrima Diesel page they turboed a high mileage GQ with no dramas at all.
If the compression all checks out, I cant see why not, and cheaper than kitting out another GQ/GU
to suit your needs.

nipagu7
13th June 2015, 03:06 PM
just a word of caution , non turboed car gearboxes are not usually as strong as turboed car gearboxes and may fail quickly if too much power is put through them ( especially 5th gear ) depending how much power you want a either / or , a snorkel , exhaust , extractors , larger air box , then a dyno tune . this might be all you need and you wont have any of the issues that might come with a turbo . I think starting with a snorkel then airbox would be good as I believe the older airboxes are quite restrictive . and this would really be helpful if you did decide to eventually turbo the car , at which point you would maybe need a 3inch exhaust . ohh! and then a intercooler and boost and egt gauges and and , and ohh! yeah water/meth injection then and then ...... opps!! daydreaming again .

Bigcol
13th June 2015, 03:34 PM
just a word of caution , non turboed car gearboxes are not usually as strong as turboed car gearboxes and may fail quickly if too much power is put through them ( especially 5th gear ) .

your right
non turbo CARS have weaker gearboxes than Turbo CARS

however

tis the same gearbox in a 4.2 if its N/A, Turbo, Turbo intercooled, GQ, GU

if you fit a Turbo - you cannot fit extractors...... so they are out of the equation

RTB, if your compression is ok, you can fit a Turbo & Intercooler off a GU easy as, they only run 8lb boost which is not too bad
or
spend a bit of coin and either a Denco or UFI Turbo
all you will need is a new 3" exhaust

run it like that for awhile, and see how you like it
then if you want more power, go the Intercooler route

yes, a snorkel WILL help with getting clean air in, but it is NOT a definite requirement