PDA

View Full Version : Looking at a rural property. What to look out for?

mudski
9th June 2015, 06:40 PM
I've had an absolute gut full of living where I am. Nothing but f$#kwits, burnouts and sirens is all I get. Suburbia can go eff' itself as far as I'm concerned....We have spotted some acreage thats just in our price range pretty much next to our dream rural area. We are looking at the property on Saturday, along with another in the same area, which is out of our price but we never know...

So when inspecting a property. What are the things I need to look at?
Condition of the fencing is one thing I can think of. Septic tanks? When they are due for a cleanout etc etc? What else?

Nothing may come of this inspection, but I don't want to not look at this place....

Thanks.

nissannewby
9th June 2015, 06:59 PM
Fencing, septic systems, grease pit. Water tank conditions. If there are any entities interested in the property either for development or use of the land. Nut out things like how well the block drains as well.

paulyg
9th June 2015, 07:00 PM
Mudski, have a look at where water will go in heavy rain, what will access be like if you get a lot of rain, even with the patrol, if access is very wet you will churn it up in to a mess.
Plus you may want to look at what sort of bush fire restrictions on building permits there may be.

AB
9th June 2015, 07:03 PM
Termites as usual check stumps etc

Bush block or pasture land, how many acres?

mudski
9th June 2015, 07:03 PM
Thanks guys. I'm writing a list down of all suggestions...

mudski
9th June 2015, 07:05 PM
Termites as usual check stumps etc

Bush block or pasture land, how many acres?

From what I can tell, its a semi cleared bush block, of around 10 acres. House is mudbrick and not on stumps. I might be scratching your brain a bit more mate if this goes further. Its in your shire. I think.

Hodge
9th June 2015, 07:08 PM
I envy your plans Mark. Need to get out of this s#ithole ourselves. My area is becoming a farking bronx. BA would know.
Good luck with whatever happens mate.

jay see
9th June 2015, 07:09 PM
Check what your rates are going to be. If its a lot of land you don't want a big surprise.

lucus30
9th June 2015, 07:13 PM
From what I can tell, its a semi cleared bush block, of around 10 acres. House is mudbrick and not on stumps. I might be scratching your brain a bit more mate if this goes further. Its in your shire. I think.
Friends of ours have a mudbrick house and its freezing. Make sure its got good heaters

AB
9th June 2015, 07:18 PM
From what I can tell, its a semi cleared bush block, of around 10 acres. House is mudbrick and not on stumps. I might be scratching your brain a bit more mate if this goes further. Its in your shire. I think. awesome, I love mudbrick and was bought up in one.

Get a kick ass duster though...lol

Let us know if it goes further mate! If your not planning on using the land then leave the bush areas as they are.

Every bit you clear you will have to now mow as they naturally mulch the ground keeping away weeds etc, trust me...lol

Except for around your house for fire safety ofcourse.

Maxhead
9th June 2015, 07:40 PM
These might help a little Mark:

http://www.dpi.nsw.gov.au/__data/assets/pdf_file/0004/421996/Precautions-when-buying-rural-land.pdf
http://www.depi.vic.gov.au/agriculture-and-food/farm-management/new-landholders/before-you-buy-in-rural-victoria/tips-before-purchasing-rural-land

Consider what you might be doing with the land long term as that might be the deciding factor on what you buy, either way good luck with it mate.

mudnut
9th June 2015, 07:42 PM
Find out if you can, what the land
has been used for. We found a couple
of filled in rubbish dumping holes and
the base fill for the driveway has some
asbestos mixed in it. (I've applied a few layers
of crushed rock at great cost $$$)

The council has
re-zoned our neighbourhood twice
since we have lived here.
Heavy industry is moving in
closer each year.
Be aware that sound carries in
the bush, and it ain't fun
listening to the neighbour's
dirt bike from dawn to dusk.
Also find out if any CSG firm
has exploration rights in the
area. If possible check out what the
groundwater situation is
like on the property. The
next door neighbour's bore water
is crystal clear and ours is almost
orange and too salty to use.
Definitely checkout the property
near the end of the wet season so
you can see the trouble spots.

Find out how much it will cost
to get power to the property or
the cost of producing your own.

There may be restrictions against
building in some areas now too, due to
the fire hazard.

AB
9th June 2015, 07:48 PM
Our entire area has rubbish pits. That's all they did back then or old dams filled in with crap!!!

Actually Mark check what zone you are in, there are a lot of environmental overlays around this area which is good but there are even some overlays where you can't even have pets so check it out.

paulyg
9th June 2015, 08:38 PM
The closer to a town the property is the more restrictions and overlays you will have, if it is not rated as rural land, the land rates may be quite high.
I am a bit further out and am rated as rural, my rates are a bit cheaper, and no restrictions except for the bush fire overlay which is every where.

Cuppa
9th June 2015, 09:15 PM
A few random thoughts

Don’t get blinded by the idyllic rural living lifstyle, keep your feet on the ground. Living in the sticks is not for everyone (but having said that I miss it like crazy).
Owning land can be quite a responsibility & a lot of work depending upon the type of land it is. Assess for weeds/blacberries etc, look for a ‘clean’ property, it can take a decade to get weeds under control, & still have plenty of annual effort to maintain that status. Some weeds are reportable & you are legally required to deal with them. This can be expensive & time consuming. You’ll likely have less free time because it will be taken up by the needs of the property, but if you enjoy doing this it won’t feel like a chore. If it feels like a chore you will have made a poor decision to go bush. If you have other things you need to do (eg. work) a property which doesn’t take up *all* of your time off is important to avoid that sense of working your butt off all the time & never getting ahead. Be clear about how you want to use the land & assess it on that basis. Don’t just buy a block with the idea of working out what you will do with it later. Will you want to keep animals, or possibly *need* to keep animals (eg. to keep the grass down)? Keeping animals has many positives, but it is a significant tie. All the family need to be sure. Living out can be quite lonely for some, especially children. Be prepared to have to taxi kids around more. Two cars will be needed. Good fences are worthwhile, but of less value if you don’t plan to have animals to keep in (or out).
Living in fire prone areas can involve quite a lot of expense & regular hard work to stay safe. It can also be stressful at times.
Not sure what sort/size of block you are thinking about, but don’t fool yourself that a 5 acre block is going to get you out of the rat race. There are f*ckw*ts everywhere, in a smaller community they can be a greater problem than in the city! Substitute mowers, mini bikes etc for sirens.

All that said if country living suits you, you’ll wonder why you didn’t do it years earlier, but if it turns out not to suit there is a reasonable chance you will have burned your bridges in terms of being able to afford to return to the city. The best reason for going bush is because it’s what you really want to do ...... not to escape from something else.

Be prepared to be more connected with others, you’ll need them & it’s the country way.

Living ‘out’ can be a very ‘freeing’ experience. No pressure to keep up with the Joneses. ‘Making do’ rather than needing the latest ‘do-hickey’ ...... unless you plan to live a city lifestyle in the bush (many do) in which case the local perception of you will be as a yuppie blockie, unless of course you move to a ’suburbanised’ area of bush blocks, where all live as yuppie blockies. :)

Just trying to get you thinking about what YOU really want. Feel free to reject anything I’ve said, just don’t fool yourself ‘cos it’s not a small decision easily reversed.

mudski
9th June 2015, 09:17 PM
Thanks guys. Well I can only assume the place is classed as rural, as the closest town is Kangaroo ground, if you call that a town, and thats a few k's away.
Nothing may come of this, but I just need to be armed with as much knowledge as I can.
As for the environmental overlays. I assume the local council will be able to fill me in with this....
I kinda wish we hadn't spotted this place as we haven't finished our place yet to sell. No much to go, the ensuite needs a reno, and a good garden dress up is all thats needed. Might have to pull my finger out a bit further....

nissannewby
9th June 2015, 09:19 PM
Also.....Move to QLD haha

Hodge
9th June 2015, 09:35 PM
Not sure if anybody has mentioned, but consider proximity to schools for kids etc... Don't want to drive an hour each morning and afternoon to drop off, pickup etc...

mudski
9th June 2015, 09:39 PM
A few random thoughts

Don’t get blinded by the idyllic rural living lifstyle, keep your feet on the ground. Living in the sticks is not for everyone (but having said that I miss it like crazy).
Owning land can be quite a responsibility & a lot of work. You’ll likely have less free time because it will be taken up by the needs of the property, but if you enjoy doing this it won’t feel like a chore. If it feels like a chore you will have made a poor decision to go bush. If you have other things you need to do (eg. work) a property which doesn’t take up *all* of your time off is important to avoid that sense of working your butt off all the time & never getting ahead. Be clear about how you want to use the land & assess it on that basis. Don’t just buy a block with the idea of working out what you will do with it later. Will you want to keep animals, or possibly *need* to keep animals (eg. to keep the grass down)? Keeping animals has many positives, but it is a significant tie. All the family need to be sure. Living out can be quite lonely for some, especially children. Be prepared to have to taxi kids around more. Two cars will be needed
Living in fire prone areas can involve quite a lot of expense & regular hard work to stay safe. It can also be stressful at times.
Not sure what sort/size of block you are thinking about, but don’t fool yourself that a 5 acre block is going to get you out of the rat race. There are f*ckw*ts everywhere, in a smaller community they can be a greater problem than in the city! Substitute mowers, mini bikes etc for sirens.

All that said if country living suits you, you’ll wonder why you didn’t do it years earlier, but if it turns out not to suit there is a reasonable chance you will have burned your bridges in terms of being able to afford to return to the city. The best reason for going bush is because it’s what you really want to do ...... not to escape from something else.

Be prepared to be more connected with others, you’ll need them & it’s the country way.

Living ‘out’ can be a very ‘freeing’ experience. No pressure to keep up with the Joneses. ‘Making do’ rather than needing the latest ‘do-hickey’ ...... unless you plan to live a city lifestyle in the bush (many do) in which case the local perception of you will be as a yuppie blockie, unless of course you move to a ’suburbanised’ area of bush blocks, where all live as yuppie blockies. :)

Just trying to get you thinking about what YOU really want. Feel free to reject anything I’ve said, just don’t fool yourself ‘cos it’s not a small decision easily reversed.

All taken in cuppa... Thanks.
I know this is a big decision and not to be taken lightly.
My intentions IF I had the property wouldn't to be running, animals on it. No time for this. But I do realise the extra maintenance a property would require. Well most of, thats why I'm here asking I suppose too. The area we are looking at is not far from the outskirts of the suburbs too. Its actually easier there for our kids to go to the school we want them in than from where we live now too. This has been on my mind for pretty much the better part of ten years I reckon. If I don't start doing something about it, I'm gonna end up arrested for smashing up someones car from laying a few black stripes out front of my house. Yes it happened, again last week. Luckily for me, I couldn't hurl the old toddler seat I had dumped in my trailer on the nature strip at the car quick enough. Lol.
I do like the facilities available with living in the burbs, but I just have had enough. Our first house me and my wife built, we had the next door neighbor from hell, the cops over every second day telling this dipsh!t to turn his music down, he would abuse and threaten to bash everyone in the street. Then the last straw was when he threatened my wife and my 9 month old daughter. I cracked and went troppo at him. To my surprise he backed up and threatened to sue me if I touched him. This saga went on for two years. We ended up selling and moving to where we are now, and copped more dickhead neighbors behind us with noise, fighting and a few other things I wont mention. I could go on for ever with more reasoning's.
Moving to a better suburb would help but its dearer than buying land these days. I have some big decisions coming up, like I said though, nothing may come of this place, but its a start.

I've had enough. I just need to get out in one way or another.

Also.....Move to QLD haha

I tried that mate. The wife won't be in that. She's too close to her family.

Not sure if anybody has mentioned, but consider proximity to schools for kids etc... Don't want to drive an hour each morning and afternoon to drop off, pickup etc...

Doing this I have to take the good with the bad and weigh it up. Amongst other things, the extra k's is something I will have to put up with.

jay see
9th June 2015, 10:36 PM
Moving to a better suburb would help

Careful D!ckheads live in nice suburbs as well.

mudski
9th June 2015, 10:41 PM
Careful D!ckheads live in nice suburbs as well.

So I have discovered living here.....

jack
9th June 2015, 10:43 PM
We lived out in the country as kids on a small farm, absolutely loved it growing up. Then we had to catch the school bus to high school, that meant an early morning walk to the bus stop, trip into the 'city' and another walk to school. Same thing coming home, in mid winter it was nearly dark by the time we got home. After a couple of years my parents sold up and moved into town as it was to difficult with all the travel.
Eventually I bought some small acreage in the country and this meant driving the kids to/from school daily. All good till they started high school and they went through the school bus process. But they all participated in sports and extra school activities, the novelty of rural living soon wore off when you have to do three trips into town in one day to pickup/drop off kids. The fuel bill soon started to add up.
Just consider that your children will grow up and there won't be any public transport available. Great for adults and young kids, teenagers well that's a whole new issue.

Avo
9th June 2015, 10:54 PM
by em guns and motorbikes,they never want to go to town then,well apart from karate,netball,staying at friends,afterschool activities,work after school....
fencings not to much drama to put up if you got the coin and time..i'm lucky and get paid to do it,but with the right tools and knowhow it easy....and what others have said about upkeep of paddocks..they all need care and grazing,fertilizer,we use cows for the mowing.
we live 13km from the town the kids go to school to but we have a bus that's comes past the front(check that out),if it's raining he oftens drops them at the house so they don't walk and get wet.

hope it all works out for you and ya family

gubigfish
10th June 2015, 01:41 AM
What sort of water supplies the house?
Is power connected or are you running solar etc?
Are the fences in good order i.e no rotting fence posts if timber or rusted star pickets, is the fencing wire in good order, does it have an electric fences.
If you end up having livestock and one escapes and causes property/people damage you are held liable.
If you plan on livestock does the property have cattle/sheep yards, what condition are they in.
Are there any noxious weeds that require regular spraying
Condition of any sheds, do they need repair, is power connected etc
Potential fertilizer costs to maintain grass for animals
Do the paddocks have actual feed quality grass or is it all weeds

AB
10th June 2015, 07:41 AM
Thanks guys. Well I can only assume the place is classed as rural, as the closest town is Kangaroo ground, if you call that a town, and thats a few k's away. Nothing may come of this, but I just need to be armed with as much knowledge as I can. As for the environmental overlays. I assume the local council will be able to fill me in with this.... I kinda wish we hadn't spotted this place as we haven't finished our place yet to sell. No much to go, the ensuite needs a reno, and a good garden dress up is all thats needed. Might have to pull my finger out a bit further.... it's not the bend of islands is it???

If it is then you are most likely under the most environmentally controlled zoning with no animals or pets allowed at all.

dave97
10th June 2015, 08:35 AM
Good luck I'm envious the big plan is to get some land but I've got to finish this place get one more rental and probably flip a couple of houses before we get to look at doing the big move.

mudnut
10th June 2015, 12:27 PM
Oh yeah. Go and meet your
potential neighbours. We
have had some excellent
neighbours on all sides
for the last 20 years.
One side is moving so I
hope we get some more
good ones, fingers crossed.
And get a bush bomb, as
that is the best way for the
kids to learn how to handle
a car! Set some rules though
as it can be dangerous!!

taslucas
10th June 2015, 01:18 PM
A paddock with a car jump is a must have too!

Cuppa
10th June 2015, 01:39 PM
A paddock with a car jump is a must have too!

Just the way to endear yourself to the neighbours!

mudski
10th June 2015, 11:36 PM
Bend of Islands it is... Nothing may come of this inspection. The house might be shoit for all we know, but it has a dog house for me to live in which has its own kitchen and bedroom so when the missus and my girls all decide to do their monthly girly things at the same time and I have somewhere to escape for the week. Lol. Its in the area, ish, of where we would like to move toward too. I've been down this road a few times and sure I saw dogs on someones property on Skyline Rd. Will wait and see. If anything were to eventuate, IF, we have no intentions of having cows, horse or sheep etc etc anyhow. Just one big ass 10acre Supercross track on it with a 4wd track surrounding it. Lol

Hows the internet out your way AB? I heard its super fast.:biggrin:

Cuppa
11th June 2015, 12:38 AM
Looks like easy to care for country. I’d be paying close attention to relative bushfire risk though & what escape routes you would have, if any. If it’s a single road in & out & it follows a ridgeline I’d be thinking twice.

Patrol'n
11th June 2015, 01:22 AM
Hey mudski, a few things to look at that friends have found in the past, check on insurance, whether you are facing bush fire levies, or even no insurance availability, and what fire risks to you and your family too, internet speeds if any internet is available, and check with the planning authority, council / shire etc regarding future development plans etc. plenty of other good suggestions by others here too by the looks of it, good luck, rural land is my dream too, difficult right now with work though.

AB
11th June 2015, 07:07 AM
Double check the zone mate, it may be ok. It's actually a great spot down there close to the river too.

I'm right at the end of the exchange for yarra glen so I get adsl but I think you might struggle down there mate unless you feed off Warrandyte/kg maybe?

mudski
11th June 2015, 09:22 AM
We found out that no sub dividing or residential developments are allowed so maybe this is why the asking prices, of all houses around here are lower than usual. Property value won't increase as much. Not that this is an issue... Councils can change their mind at any given time anyhow. Happened to a friend of mine. Purchased the end block in a new estate as she was assured by the council, no more blocks will be developed after her block. they were going to make it a park and oval. Five years later, theres an entire estate right next to her.

mudski
13th June 2015, 07:05 PM
So we looked at this place today....

Yeah well. Wow!

I think i have drunk a half a bottle of burbon just to get over the local rules of this place.
No animals at all. Only plants native to the land can be planted. Any vegie patches must be caged, you are NOT allowed to even pick a stick up off the ground to chuck in a fire without a permit. Not kidding. A stick. Every property in the area is NOT fenced, so you really dont get the feeling of the land you own and going by the brochure, i think you are expected to join their tree hugging nature walks etc etc.
As AB said though, the mudbrick house does look good.
Bloody good house but the rest just turned us away.

threedogs
13th June 2015, 07:14 PM
have a look at straw bale houses , that would be my dream

AB
13th June 2015, 07:23 PM
So we looked at this place today.... Yeah well. Wow! I think i have drunk a half a bottle of burbon just to get over the local rules of this place. No animals at all. Only plants native to the land can be planted. Any vegie patches must be caged, you are NOT allowed to even pick a stick up off the ground to chuck in a fire without a permit. Not kidding. A stick. Every property in the area is NOT fenced, so you really dont get the feeling of the land you own and going by the brochure, i think you are expected to join their tree hugging nature walks etc etc. As AB said though, the mudbrick house does look good. Bloody good house but the rest just turned us away. I like the community mindset they have down there in their way of looking after the bush and environment but you will be an outcast down there mate, a very tight knit group!

I'm sorry as I know you were keen on it but the price reflects on the responsibility you will have on that property and your expectations of being part of the "community" they have built and strongly police!

Walk away and be thankful you didn't buy it not knowing the restrictions and responsibilities.

It's a good spot though to "visit" ;)

AB
13th June 2015, 07:24 PM
have a look at straw bale houses , that would be my dream I've seen them before, quite impressive actually.

Rossco
13th June 2015, 07:24 PM
Yeah the environmental living zone @ the bend of Isles is pretty full on. I love the environment and looking after the bush but bend of Isles is too much for me. Shame hopefully something comes up. . . We were nearly could have been neighbours (ish).

AB
13th June 2015, 07:31 PM
So we looked at this place today.... Yeah well. Wow! I think i have drunk a half a bottle of burbon just to get over the local rules of this place. No animals at all. Only plants native to the land can be planted. Any vegie patches must be caged, you are NOT allowed to even pick a stick up off the ground to chuck in a fire without a permit. Not kidding. A stick. Every property in the area is NOT fenced, so you really dont get the feeling of the land you own and going by the brochure, i think you are expected to join their tree hugging nature walks etc etc. As AB said though, the mudbrick house does look good. Bloody good house but the rest just turned us away. Rossco and I are not allowed to fence over 2 acres here. Even though the old farming fencing is still scattered around the areas.

But I agree with this rule. If everyone here fenced their entire bush properties then animals would struggle.

mudski
13th June 2015, 07:34 PM
I see what the community there is doing but yeah it was a bit of a shock on how tight they are with these rules. No wonder on the price of this place. We were one of around 15 groups that came in. All but us and another family left as soon as they saw the no animals rule.
when i read the rule about not even being allowed to pick up a stick that had fallen from a tree to burn, i thought of a really hot and windy summer. I would be shitting myself the entire season.

Sent from my SM-P600 using Tapatalk

AB
13th June 2015, 07:41 PM
I see what the community there is doing but yeah it was a bit of a shock on how tight they are with these rules. No wonder on the price of this place. We were one of around 15 groups that came in. All but us and another family left as soon as they saw the no animals rule.
when i read the rule about not even being allowed to pick up a stick that had fallen from a tree to burn, i thought of a really hot and windy summer. I would be shitting myself the entire season.

When I was 19 I went down there to check out an awesome property (CHEAP!!!) with my asshole of an ex and we bought our dog with us.

Wow, I didn't know either and it was like a bought a shotgun down and pointed it at everyone. Shock....Horror....Gasping....Anxiety....lol

mudski
13th June 2015, 09:01 PM
Holy shoit AB! Some of those houses on Skyline down your end over looking Yarra Glen mate. Wow! What a view have they got....

Rossco
13th June 2015, 09:04 PM
Holy shoit AB! Some of those houses on Skyline down your end over looking Yarra Glen mate. Wow! What a view have they got....

Yeah pretty awsome. Imagine waking up to that view . . . Not bad ! !

AB
13th June 2015, 09:09 PM
Holy shoit AB! Some of those houses on Skyline down your end over looking Yarra Glen mate. Wow! What a view have they got.... Sent from my SM-P600 using Tapatalk buy that place with the helipad if you have a spare 2 mill...

Bloodyaussie
13th June 2015, 09:17 PM
Sounds like shitsville to me... bunch of wankers... perfect for you mudski you will fit right in...ha ha ha.

I know where i am going to take my dogs for a walk now.

mudski
14th June 2015, 01:23 AM
Yeah pretty awsome. Imagine waking up to that view . . . Not bad ! !

buy that place with the helipad if you have a spare 2 mill...
Well atleast this has given me fire to finish what i need with my place and get out of here. Had enough of living with morons around...
Not wrong about mudbrick houses though. Kinda like them.