PDA

View Full Version : Coil Tower Braces

Gertie
9th June 2015, 04:39 PM
So I realized I had a huge crack in my driver's side rear coil tower, a common problem it seems with GU's.
After reading quite a few threads I decided to repair then fit a pair of Boss Coil Tower Braces.
Easy job if you have access to a hoist, and certainly worthwhile as a preventative measure if you haven't already.
I went with the Boss ones as they helped pull the tower back into line to make it easy to mig up.
They are east to fit, just bolt straight in, a couple of the driver's side nuts are a bit of a pain to get on the top, had to bend up a bit of metal to hold it in place, but apart from that a piece of cake.
Also chucked in a 2" lift and set of 35's while I was at it, looks sweet now! Took her for a drive up the Grampians for the long weekend and she handled beautifully :biggrin:5873458733587325873158735

Rock Trol
9th June 2015, 06:03 PM
The Boss units are certainly a nicely engineered bit of kit. I had the installed a few weeks ago as a preventative measure. Luckily my coil towers where in good shape, surprising considering the very stiff springs and weight it had carried. I also swapped the old ARB springs for EFS 120/300 kg constant springs and it has transformed the ride and handling plus lifted the car by 2 in has.

Stropp
10th June 2015, 06:34 PM
they are the goods mate, ive had mine in now for about 8 mths.

Gertie
11th June 2015, 10:51 AM
I have noticed the difference in handling and the way it sits from the rear, certainly something everyone with a GU should check for.
My dad has a 2004 GU 4.8 with OME 2" lift, and he spends 4 mths of the year towing a caravan around up north, we checked under his and guess what? cracked too, driver's side again (I presume because the sway bar anchors to the drivers side chassis), so another repair done!

Rock Trol
11th June 2015, 11:50 AM
I have noticed the difference in handling and the way it sits from the rear, certainly something everyone with a GU should check for.
My dad has a 2004 GU 4.8 with OME 2" lift, and he spends 4 mths of the year towing a caravan around up north, we checked under his and guess what? cracked too, driver's side again (I presume because the sway bar anchors to the drivers side chassis), so another repair done!

So how long do you think the coil tower was cracked before you noticed? Was it a lean to one side that alerted you or something else?

threedogs
11th June 2015, 02:19 PM
I'll be welding in supports on mine soon so I'll do a DIY thread on it.
Some parts may be laser cut, so pm if anyone is interested

Gertie
24th June 2015, 03:46 PM
So how long do you think the coil tower was cracked before you noticed? Was it a lean to one side that alerted you or something else?

Sorry Rock Trol have been busy,
I think it could've been probably over a year, it was only when I got under to have a look at removing LPG & installing long range tank, I was tracing fuel lines back when I noticed.

Rock Trol
24th June 2015, 07:18 PM
Sorry Rock Trol have been busy,
I think it could've been probably over a year, it was only when I got under to have a look at removing LPG & installing long range tank, I was tracing fuel lines back when I noticed.

So they don't usually just separate from the chassis. They just get sloppy as the flex due to the cracks.
Good thing to know.

Clunk
24th June 2015, 08:09 PM
So they don't usually just separate from the chassis. They just get sloppy as the flex due to the cracks.
Good thing to know.
Yes they can separate and cause a fair bit of damage.

Dr Gary
25th June 2015, 03:04 PM
[QUOTE=Gertie;609302]So I realized I had a huge crack in my driver's side rear coil tower, a common problem it seems with GU's.
After reading quite a few threads I decided to repair then fit a pair of Boss Coil Tower Braces.
Easy job if you have access to a hoist, and certainly worthwhile as a preventative measure if you haven't already.
I went with the Boss ones as they helped pull the tower back into line to make it easy to mig up.
They are east to fit, just bolt straight in, a couple of the driver's side nuts are a bit of a pain to get on the top, had to bend up a bit of metal to hold it in place, but apart from that a piece of cake.
Also chucked in a 2" lift and set of 35's while I was at it, looks sweet now! Took her for a drive up the Grampians for the long weekend and she handled beautifully :biggrin:

Looking at your pics, it seems you need to drop the axle and springs, fit the "Boss" then reassemble. It also looks like the rubber isolators fit around the coil tower. Is this correct??? Thanks
BTW my towers are ok now--just looking for insurance.

Gertie
25th June 2015, 03:42 PM
[QUOTE=Gertie;609302]So I realized I had a huge crack in my driver's side rear coil tower, a common problem it seems with GU's.
Also chucked in a 2" lift and set of 35's while I was at it, looks sweet now! Took her for a drive up the Grampians for the long weekend and she handled beautifully :biggrin:

Looking at your pics, it seems you need to drop the axle and springs, fit the "Boss" then reassemble. It also looks like the rubber isolators fit around the coil tower. Is this correct??? Thanks
BTW my towers are ok now--just looking for insurance.

Hi Dr Gary,
Did my father's with jacks and axle stands, opted for the hoist with mine, saved a heap of time.
If you're doing it with a jack: Jack from chassis, unplug diff breather, take central brake bracket, then remove shock and the axle drops away, (if you unbolt shock first remember to take diff breather and brake bracket off first), take spring out, remove the bump stop, and if you don't have any damage just bolt the new one in!
Only tricky bit was 2 of the nuts on drivers side are a pain in the a**e due to their position above the tower with fuel flow and return lines, I just bent a small piece of scrap metal to help hold them until I got the bolt started.
If yo do have damage I would still recommend fitting the brace first as it helps pull everything together.
Start with the top 4 bolts first and bolt in the bump stop and chassis bolts last.
Much easier to do it on a hoist though ;)

Dr Gary
26th June 2015, 02:02 PM
Hey Gertie
Great information. I will use a hoist and the rest seems straight forward so long as I unhook brake bracket and diff breather. Pretty much as I suspected but best be sure.
Gary

Hi Dr Gary,
Did my father's with jacks and axle stands, opted for the hoist with mine, saved a heap of time.
If you're doing it with a jack: Jack from chassis, unplug diff breather, take central brake bracket, then remove shock and the axle drops away, (if you unbolt shock first remember to take diff breather and brake bracket off first), take spring out, remove the bump stop, and if you don't have any damage just bolt the new one in!
Only tricky bit was 2 of the nuts on drivers side are a pain in the a**e due to their position above the tower with fuel flow and return lines, I just bent a small piece of scrap metal to help hold them until I got the bolt started.
If yo do have damage I would still recommend fitting the brace first as it helps pull everything together.
Start with the top 4 bolts first and bolt in the bump stop and chassis bolts last.
Much easier to do it on a hoist though ;)

00marshall
19th May 2017, 08:52 PM
Hi all, does anyone with the "Boss" tower braces fitted know if there are any issues with airbag compatibility?

I don't think my towers braces are cracked, but seriously considering doing this mod before my next big trip, as I tow a 2Te camper and expect to be doing a fair amount of off-road touring in future.

Or suggest any other DIY or not too expensive tower brace options that work with airbags?

Thanks in advance, helpful thread.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MB
19th May 2017, 09:22 PM
G'day Marshall, I can absolutely agree that you need to tower brace Patrols before your big trip mate! My GU coily ute when purchased was top plate heading upwards so urgently straightened and installed a full ute plate 'Superior' bolt in job after finding. Mrs MB's GU wagon became my next concern as she tows horse floats so PatrolApart kindly installed a bolt in 'Boss Kit' http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2017/05/155.jpghttp://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2017/05/156.jpg Rossco on here ( Rossco ) just bought what he believes to be near one of the last made 'bolt in' 'Boss Kits' on his current GQ project!

jff45
19th May 2017, 09:24 PM
I installed the Boss coil tower brace kit with Polyair bags last weekend. The brace kit doesn't change anything that might influence the air bag fitting.

PeeBee
19th May 2017, 09:39 PM
Hi all, does anyone with the "Boss" tower braces fitted know if there are any issues with airbag compatibility?

I don't think my towers braces are cracked, but seriously considering doing this mod before my next big trip, as I tow a 2Te camper and expect to be doing a fair amount of off-road touring in future.

Or suggest any other DIY or not too expensive tower brace options that work with airbags?

Thanks in advance, helpful thread.

I have the spring towers fitted with the Superior Strengthener Kit and also have the towers tied together and bolted thru the floorpan - nothin' is going to move. I have the firestone in-coil airbags fitted and they improve the ride, but was still concerned about the direct stress into the coil tower mount, so have added a set of BOSS 3 rung external airbags. These work between the top of the diff housing and directly into the chassis rail, so no bending moment in play to start bending stuff. I use these in preference to the in-coil units now, however the ride is a bit of a 'wallow' if you put too much air into them to get an extended lift. Just a thought as these take the whole spring mount issue out of play provided the airbags are actually taking the majority of the load. The Superior kit is welded in, and this was the only downside as it was difficult to install on the garage floor situation. I like the idea ofthe bolt in kit especially with comments about them bein g able to pull a slightly bent mount back into position.

MB
19th May 2017, 09:49 PM
You're much more dedicated and skillful than me Philstar :-) Weld in jobbies on a ute with tray removed would be bareable but a wagon with fuel tanks/lines/body/...... all in the way would be a nightmare I reckon mate :-( Tower Bracing Coily's somehow is a dead set absolute must though at whatever cost we all reckon/agree for safety!

Rossco
19th May 2017, 11:16 PM
Yeah just bought a Boss kit for the GQ, aparently their not making them anyone so I'd get in quick if you want some i reckon. Got mine from patrolapart and picked up the last set they had. Cost a few bob but look like a very nice kit, fully bolt in through factory holes - peace of mind is worth it 4 sure. . .

Sent from my GT-I9506 using Tapatalk

Stropp
19th May 2017, 11:40 PM
I have the boss ones as well and installed them before the Simpson trip and have airbags and still have had no problems, well worth the money imho

MudRunnerTD
20th May 2017, 12:00 AM
Yeah just bought a Boss kit for the GQ, aparently their not making them anyone so I'd get in quick if you want some i reckon. Got mine from patrolapart and picked up the last set they had. Cost a few bob but look like a very nice kit, fully bolt in through factory holes - peace of mind is worth it 4 sure. . .

Sent from my GT-I9506 using Tapatalk

Wow really!! Damn will get on that

00marshall
21st May 2017, 12:22 AM
Thanks for all the feedback guys. Thought I'd check first, as it looks like $500+ for the Boss kit and another $300 ish for the airbags on eBay. Guess it's cheaper than a repair job if I don't!

MB
21st May 2017, 12:42 AM
True that Marshall mate :-) Braced up Coil-Airbags also give you great adjustability for varying loads. Mrs MB can run between 5psi for the kids Ponies up to 30psi for a Clydesdale :-) I took it all one step further with my work coily ute and removed the coils completely for Firestone 'On-Air' truck type bags, smooth as cat shit on the highway and very Mexican 'loco' fun adjusting up to 70psi for serious loads on its back :-)

Coolrunning
11th June 2017, 12:21 AM
I just installed my boss braces today while upgrading my springs on the gu.

Patrol is only a couple months old so installed them as a preventative measure as I tow a camper.

Word of warning to anybody looking to install the kit. I would recommend installing the bump stop bolts first before tightening the 4 upper bolts. I nearlly stripped a bump stop bolt by tightening the smaller upper 4 first. Had to lossen them back up to get the bumpstop bolt in correctly.

Not sure if it was the same for every body else who has installed them but it was only has to be slightly out to strip the bolt.

I also used locktight for safe measure

00marshall
11th June 2017, 08:40 PM
Installed my Boss braces on my 2012 GU today too! Also installed a new set of Firestone Coilrite airbags as we tow an off-road camper.

Job was pretty straightforward once the car was up on the axle stands and lowered the back axle - a little bit of caution to others, as had to remove some of the brake line mounts and diff breather etc. to drop enough to get springs all the way out (2" lift). Braces and bags went in no problem... thankfully nothing bent from earlier.

Good piece of mind if nothing else!

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2017/06/96.jpg

Rossco
11th June 2017, 09:38 PM
Probly do mine in a couple of weeks, cheers for the tips hopefully all goes smoothly. . .

Sent from my SM-T800 using Tapatalk

Daveyboyjunior
12th June 2017, 08:37 AM
Can you let us know how your set-up performs Marshall?

Wizard52
13th June 2017, 06:42 PM
Superior Engineering has an advantage of a possible GVM upgrade when using their product and a lot cheaper.
I used their kit for ute and easy to fit with tray on.

00marshall
19th June 2017, 11:29 PM
Can you let us know how your set-up performs Marshall?

So far so good - riding around town with 5-10psi in them handles pretty well! Real test will be the trip to Shark bay next month, towing fully loaded camper and 3x Jerry cans of fuel on the drawbar. Will let you know.

sooty_10
20th June 2017, 12:54 PM
Installed my Boss braces on my 2012 GU today too! Also installed a new set of Firestone Coilrite airbags as we tow an off-road camper.

Job was pretty straightforward once the car was up on the axle stands and lowered the back axle - a little bit of caution to others, as had to remove some of the brake line mounts and diff breather etc. to drop enough to get springs all the way out (2" lift). Braces and bags went in no problem... thankfully nothing bent from earlier.

Good piece of mind if nothing else!

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2017/06/96.jpg

What firestone bag model did you use? Length etc?

Sent from my SM-G925I using Tapatalk

00marshall
22nd July 2017, 11:28 PM
What firestone bag model did you use? Length etc?

Sent from my SM-G925I using Tapatalk

I bought the CR5042 from Airbagman off eBay $310. The bags don't have spacers like some other kits for 2" lift.

I think they're about 13.5" long from memory. Hard to measure now.

00marshall
22nd July 2017, 11:33 PM
So far so good - riding around town with 5-10psi in them handles pretty well! Real test will be the trip to Shark bay next month, towing fully loaded camper and 3x Jerry cans of fuel on the drawbar. Will let you know.

Just back from 2 weeks in Shark bay. Awesome trip! The airbags worked a treat... ran about 15psi with the camper trailer towing. Otherwise about 5psi. No issues so far. Definitely recommend the upgrade for towing. We did arrive late to our campsite (Tea Tree beach, Tamala), driving some bad corrugations and sandy tracks to the beach. Definitely helped having the bags... kept the spotties pointing at the right level.

TimE
29th March 2018, 02:45 PM
A bit of a dig up of an oldish thread but relevant I think.

Just heard from my mechanic, the Patrol is in for a pre trip inspection (doing the Madigan Line, home then the Anne Beadell).

Both rear spring towers are cracked and will need welding, the Boss braces have minimised the damage according to mechanic. A number of body mounts are also shot ........... and he is looking for a solution to my extended sway bar links breaking on a regular basis! So, pre trip inspection by someone who knows, and cares about, your vehicle is well worth the cost. I wonder if he'll give me a Seniors discount?

The Patrol has done 165,000 kms, well over 100,000 of those on rough and offroad tracks. Last years trip into the tough bits of the Kimberley towing the Vista XL wouldn't have helped!

PeeBee
29th March 2018, 03:33 PM
So the towers still broke with the BOSS tower braces installed?

TimE
29th March 2018, 04:17 PM
So the towers still broke with the BOSS tower braces installed?

Not broke, hair line cracks around an inch or so long on the rear outside edge (if that makes sense), both towers. His cure will be drill a hole either end of the crack (to stop further cracking), "V" the crack and weld, and for good measure weld a bit of plate over the crack.

Booked in to get done in a fortnight, he also tells me (and showed me) the drivers door hinges and the striker plate need replacing, there is a bit too much up/down movement, and a bit of a clunking sound to go with it whilst the door is shut, might be the source of the mystery "clunk" I have had for a year or so..

Hodge
29th March 2018, 07:02 PM
The Patrol has done 165,000 kms, well over 100,000 of those on rough and offroad tracks. Last years trip into the tough bits of the Kimberley towing the Vista XL wouldn't have helped!

How many K's did Patrol do before the Braces were fitted?

TimE
29th March 2018, 07:16 PM
How many K's did Patrol do before the Braces were fitted?

Around 110,000 kms. Most of the kms since then have been towing. Inspections of the towers before and since haven't shown any issues until now.

JackoGQYoot
29th March 2018, 11:31 PM
Would GQ coil cabs have the same weakness in the rear coil towers? I rarely carry any load, and most of my patrols time is spent on the beach or flexing up in the bush. do you guys reckon i would need a coil tower brace kit?
Cheers

MB
29th March 2018, 11:40 PM
IMHO Jack mate, all coily arse end Patrols should have come tougher as standard.
‘Dynamic’ downward forces of even an unladen ute off-road in the hills can be immense in my experiences.
EDIT: The beauty of our coily utes is that bracing is cheaper and easier due to a clear line of sight between towers. I luckily scored a Superior SH plate for $140 but have had mates also pop their trays off and easily fabricated in decent size angle iron lengths, side to side.
EDIT: “Second Hand”

JackoGQYoot
29th March 2018, 11:48 PM
Yeah i have been looking at the superior one. I am thinking I might save my $140 until the need arises.

MB
29th March 2018, 11:55 PM
Fair enough, have been thinking myself about utilising the Superior and or homemade platform for additional battery mounts, water tank or maybe even a 5th wheel hitch through tray hatch. All theory but many extra uses possible one ootes ;-)

JackoGQYoot
30th March 2018, 12:23 AM
That sounds awesome, it is good having a yoot.

MB
30th March 2018, 12:44 AM
Agreed brother, Yoots all rock!
GU bastardised heavy yoots definitely need bracing just to get outa the driveway;-) http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2018/03/266.jpghttp://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2018/03/267.jpghttp://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2018/03/268.jpg

warthog1
30th March 2018, 12:11 PM
That plate brace for utes is awesome.
I have a gu wagon which I installed the superior wagon specific brace in.
My understanding is that it is stronger than the boss brace.
What a bastard to fit though.

threedogs
30th March 2018, 12:23 PM
That plate brace for utes is awesome.
I have a gu wagon which I installed the superior wagon specific brace in.
My understanding is that it is stronger than the boss brace.
What a bastard to fit though.

Just brought the Superior brace kit how long did it take to do. I have the kit already
going to get one of the shops to fit it for me

warthog1
30th March 2018, 12:28 PM
Just brought the Superior brace kit how long did it take to do. I have the kit already
going to get one of the shops to fit it for meI did it on the ground.
Took me all day.
A workshop with a hoist should be much quicker.
At least a couple of hours I guess. Possibly more. I am guessing sorry mate.

threedogs
30th March 2018, 12:42 PM
First time might take awhile but after doing say 10 it might be easier??

warthog1
30th March 2018, 12:56 PM
First time might take awhile but after doing say 10 it might be easier??After the first couple you'd prob tell the next customer to p1 ss off. lol
The worst bit is the driver's side tower. All the fuel lines that sit over the top of it limit room.
Have a go yourself. Just be patient.
I'm no mechanic and I managed it.

mudnut
30th March 2018, 01:34 PM
I have the spring towers fitted with the Superior Strengthener Kit and also have the towers tied together and bolted thru the floorpan - nothin' is going to move. I have the firestone in-coil airbags fitted and they improve the ride, but was still concerned about the direct stress into the coil tower mount, so have added a set of BOSS 3 rung external airbags. These work between the top of the diff housing and directly into the chassis rail, so no bending moment in play to start bending stuff. I use these in preference to the in-coil units now, however the ride is a bit of a 'wallow' if you put too much air into them to get an extended lift. Just a thought as these take the whole spring mount issue out of play provided the airbags are actually taking the majority of the load. The Superior kit is welded in, and this was the only downside as it was difficult to install on the garage floor situation. I like the idea ofthe bolt in kit especially with comments about them bein g able to pull a slightly bent mount back into position.

Hey, PeeBee, do you have solid body mounts, or does the the floor pan flex where the brace is bolted through?

PeeBee
30th March 2018, 05:41 PM
Hey, PeeBee, do you have solid body mounts, or does the the floor pan flex where the brace is bolted through?

mudnut,

the Superior braces are weld in units, PIA to be honest. They are installed external to the spring mount from memory - 15 yrs has past since I did them! The tower link brace is something I designed and installed myself. I could not get the superior brace to fit as needed a 2" body lift, so I installed a flat plate - again from memory, about 100mm wide x 6mm thick. I them used keysteel, circa 16mm thick and accurately located the units to wedge against the edges of the kspring tower. The 100mm plate is feathered on the ends to allow it to jam between the floor pan and the top of the tower. This design locks the tower in place. I then drilled and bolted 6 M12 bolts thru the floor to hold the plate into position.

I have done nothing to the body mounts, all still factory fit. See sketch attached.74843

If the floor flexes, it has very little differential movement to the floor brace as this direct 'plane is very stiffly held in alignment.

threedogs
30th March 2018, 06:27 PM
After the first couple you'd prob tell the next customer to p1 ss off. lol
The worst bit is the driver's side tower. All the fuel lines that sit over the top of it limit room.
Have a go yourself. Just be patient.
I'm no mechanic and I managed it.

Ill be getting someone else to do it, I cant even get under my Patrol

warthog1
30th March 2018, 08:20 PM
Ill be getting someone else to do it, I cant even get under my PatrolFair enough mate.
It needs doing either way.
The coil hats can tear away or bend without bracing when loaded up.

MB
31st March 2018, 08:24 PM
For sure @Wathog1 good man!
Bent braces I’ve personally seen on some of ours, cracking I’ve seen posted here, there is truly outback horror stories out there too :-( !

EFIwindsor
6th April 2018, 10:47 AM
Boss braces were included in my Pedders GVM upgrade along with rear braced axle. They are a nice bit of gear and very well made.

threedogs
8th April 2018, 01:45 PM
PeeBee Ive just purchased the Superior tower bolt on kit, any idea what time frame it would take to fit with out hoist.
Or am I better off getting a shop to fit them

threedogs
8th April 2018, 01:48 PM
PeeBee Ive just purchased the Superior tower bolt on kit, any idea what time frame it would take to fit with out hoist.
Or am I better off getting a shop to fit them

PeeBee
9th April 2018, 05:34 PM
Apologies TD, been away all weekend, just back. Look can't really comment as my Superior kit was a weld in kit and it took me all day because I made a meal of getting the springs out and back in. I would suggest you get yours fitted or find someone with fingers like a praying mantis from what i hear. Are you buying the kit for the individual tower or the kit to tie the towers together?

dads tractor
9th April 2018, 08:48 PM
TD you have a tray don't you if that's the case jack the rear as high as u can and brace it there undo the tray bolts at the rear and take the wheels off the back and lower it down. The object of the excercise is to be able to get in and line the brake line pad up ,so to do this it takes a bit of bending and prying to get the pad in underneath.Tip: leave front tray bolts done up so as to make it easier to line the tray back up.This is for the plate across both towers.Tip: stock fridge.