PDA

View Full Version : oil change gu zd30 help

nismor32au
9th June 2015, 03:03 PM
hi, just done my first oil change on the patrol.
just havin a bit of trouble checking the oil level. I dumped old oil, changed the oil filter, then put in 8.5l of new oil.
I ran engine for a minute then shut down, waited a couple of minutes and checked, oil was only just on the dipstick. waiting half an hour and the level has just come up above the low mark.
Is this normal, i thought according to the manual that it would be up around the full mark after run and checked a couple of minutes later.
I have no leaks
any help would be apprciated
thanks

Woof
9th June 2015, 03:11 PM
Hey mate slip over here http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/forumdisplay.php?2-Introductions and post up an introduction, always a good idea before asking for any assistance, thanks

nismor32au
9th June 2015, 03:22 PM
sorry didnt think of that, just did it now.
thanks

threedogs
9th June 2015, 05:22 PM
They dont like being overfilled ,it will cause all types of dramas,
try and aim for just under the full line.

nismor32au
9th June 2015, 05:28 PM
cool, is that just under the full line on dead cold, or is that after the engine is started like in the manual

Col.T
11th June 2015, 07:25 PM
G'day mate, welcome.
The diesel is ALWAYS slow, slow, very slow to run the oil down after a change.
IF you put in the correct volume (my 2008 is 8.25l I think) you wont go wrong. Next time you go for a cruise, run it up to temp then wait overnight and check the stick. Should read just about centre.
With that volume a tad over or under should be good but as the Doggy says, too much is not.
Regards,
Col.

threedogs
13th June 2015, 05:43 PM
bumped for an update

nismor32au
15th June 2015, 12:34 AM
thanks for the info, done oil changes on a few different cars in the past but never had a car that tells you in the manual to check the oil after the engine is warm, and know how much a new diesel engine is so stessed a little.
again, thanks