PDA

View Full Version : 2003 GU Patrol 4.2 DX TD starting problems

SKYLAB
8th June 2015, 04:10 PM
Hi all
my 'trol starts fine first thing in the morning, or when cold, and after glowing,,, and starts fine after an hour or so after it has cooled down,,, and also starts fine after a 5 - 10 minute stop,, but anything inbetween,,,,, she just cranks over, on and on, just like she who must be pandered to !
I'm thinkin that the glow plugs must be ok, as it does start when it glows.
My questions are these,,
1. is there a sensor that tells the glow circuit not to work when the engine is warm ?
2. If so, where is it ?
3. I've heard of guys putting a switch in the cab to trick the glow relay into thinking the motor is cold, and thereby turning on the glow circuit. true ?, false ?, and where does this switch go ?
Any thoughts on this would be appreciated.
Also, the 'trol runs on BIO , and runs beautifully on it too !, however, the problem has only just recently started, and after getting rid of the death wobbles , and being prepared to put up with a slight pull to the left, this is the only bug bear left to sort out before, peice of mind, and therefore 'trol-nirvana are reached
regards, and thanks in advance
Pedro

threedogs
8th June 2015, 04:19 PM
Hi Pedro and welcome to the forum , might want to pop over to the intro's and tell us a bit about yourself etc
before asking questions, Just something the forum asks of us all, no harm done but polite and all that eh

nissannewby
8th June 2015, 04:30 PM
Does it have nats with the little redlight on the dash?

SKYLAB
8th June 2015, 04:49 PM
Pardon my ignorance,, but what are nats ?

SKYLAB
8th June 2015, 04:51 PM
thanks Threedogs,, got a bit ahead of myself there

nissannewby
8th June 2015, 06:27 PM
Nats- nissan anti theft. If you do there is a small light on the dash on the drivers side near the windscreen. This system can play up and cause what you describe.

SKYLAB
8th June 2015, 06:54 PM
ah, i see,, this 'trol has sats system,,,ie SKYLAB anti theft system,,i dont leave the keys in it when i get out of the vehicle !! LOL
Seriously tho, I have an immobiliser fitted, as this model never came out with one, and when its deactivated, everything gets power.

Cuppa
8th June 2015, 09:41 PM
No Nats in the DX Matt.

Welcome to another ex Telstra podder.

threedogs
9th June 2015, 07:55 AM
It may well have something to do with the security system
Can you isolate it to test