PDA

View Full Version : Really Uber Dumb Guy question(s) - what are these called....

LaughingBeagles
7th June 2015, 12:29 PM
Ok, 98.9% of you are going to read this and say, "really?".... "com'n LB..." but hey, I might as well go out there and ask the dumb questions.

First up, my owners hand book does not tell me what the switch on the right is / does:

http://i178.photobucket.com/albums/w254/BattleScoob/General/IMG_0583.jpg

Any ideas? I suspect it has to do with the turbo? (yes, I feel like an UberNoob asking).

My second dumb question is: When I bought my rig, it was missing the cover for the jack at the back. I've not been able to (a) find the right name for it so I can google getting a new one and (b) been able to source one from anywhere.

http://i178.photobucket.com/albums/w254/BattleScoob/General/IMG_0584.jpg

Any pointers as to how I can source one would be appreciated.

Clunk
7th June 2015, 12:37 PM
The switch on the right looks like an anti detonation switch. [emoji12] ...............
Just give patrolapart a call about the Jack trim cover

LaughingBeagles
7th June 2015, 12:38 PM
Thanks Clunk.... I laughed so hard, I did the coffee through the nose trick... :smileyvault-cute-bi

Bigcol
7th June 2015, 12:43 PM
hey LB, the switch is for your "idle-up" for when your stationary but need more rev's - eg: winching, jump starting a toyboata, using a PTO (Power Take Off - from the transfer case etc

the jack cover, look for one wrecking on gumtree, and just ask them

proper name is...... "Jack cover thingy.............."

Bigcol
7th June 2015, 12:45 PM
woopppsss
my bad
switch on the RIGHT

thats for the heat by-pass
keeps engine warm more than the cabin heater - I think.........
dont have a 3l, so maybe clunky IS right

Clunk
7th June 2015, 12:46 PM
Bloody Col, trust you to come up eith a sensible answer

Bigcol
7th June 2015, 12:49 PM
what sensible answer
the - proper name is...... "Jack cover thingy.............."

the evil twin
7th June 2015, 01:03 PM
It is the Heat Up switch more commonly called "Idle Up"

From the manual...

The heat up switch is located on the lower side of the instrument
panel. This switch is used to speed up the heater’s operation when
the engine is cold.
When the ECM received the heat up switch “ON” signal, the ECM
increases the engine idle speed to 1,100 to 1,200 rpm to warm up
engine quickly.
This system works when all conditions listed below are met.
Heat up switch ON
Engine coolant temperature Below 105°C (221°F)
Shift lever “P” or “N”
Accelerator pedal Fully released

LaughingBeagles
7th June 2015, 01:07 PM
I just knew I could count on my WA friends... :D

4bye4
7th June 2015, 01:14 PM
Hey Peter, aren't you putting drawers in. You might not want the jack cover thingy. I now store my jack elsewhere.

Woof
7th June 2015, 01:18 PM
As ET said..........................that's exactly what I was going to say:confused:

In case you are wondering what a ECM is, it stands for Electronic Cold Monitor...hahahahaha

threedogs
7th June 2015, 01:40 PM
as others have said its a high idle 1200 rpm for cold mornings
well that what I use it for.
If you are stuck for the Jack cover give Gary at Nizzbits a bell

LaughingBeagles
7th June 2015, 01:45 PM
Hey Peter, aren't you putting drawers in. You might not want the jack cover thingy. I now store my jack elsewhere.

True mate, but you know how it is, you want your rig whole - neat and tidy and I figured if it was easy to pick one up at the right price, well...

Thanks everyone for your insight into (a) switches and (b) the name of the jack cover thingie, really appreciated. Oh, and I've proved there's no such thing as a dumb question, just the dumb idiot asking it.... :D

Bigcol
7th June 2015, 01:49 PM
Oh, and I've proved there's no such thing as a dumb question, just the dumb idiot asking it.... :D

nope
never a dumb question, I dont have a 3l, like I said, so I didnt know what the proper name or function for that switch was
and I stand by what I called it - a Jack Cover Thingy

Hodge
7th June 2015, 01:52 PM
The heat up switch cannot be used a throttle control, well on mine you can't, as soon as you put it in gear the revs drop.
It's just that, a quick warm up switch.
I think ( but don't quote me), once the coolant reaches a certain temperature this switch is in-operable / is by-passed, even if it is on.

the evil twin
7th June 2015, 02:06 PM
The heat up switch cannot be used a throttle control, well on mine you can't, as soon as you put it in gear the revs drop.
It's just that, a quick warm up switch.
I think ( but don't quote me), once the coolant reaches a certain temperature this switch is in-operable / is by-passed, even if it is on.

True... 105 odd degrees

I have on occasion used it when winching others to keep the revs up and therefore the Alternator at a higher output tho

ashhunter
12th January 2016, 05:14 PM
Funny buggers!

GeeYou8
13th January 2016, 09:03 AM
I have never had to use it for warm up, but I have considered using it with the A/C to cool down quicker.
Graham

MyGU8
13th January 2016, 09:32 AM
I also believe you keep this always on when outside temperature is extremely cold where you cannot simply leave it on idle as the engine will shut down due to too cold.

Oversize
14th January 2016, 06:38 AM
Just adding my 5c worth, it only works when in neutral.