PDA

View Full Version : Snatch strap as tow/winch extension strap

Rock Trol
6th June 2015, 08:42 PM
Hi everyone. I have a 11000kg RydgeRyder snatch strap that I bought cheap a couple of years ago. I have not used it as its probably a bit too big for the Patrol which is suited to an 8000kg strap.

I am thinking of using it as a dedicated tow strap and winch extension strap. Would not use it as a snatch strap (have 8000kg for that). I don't think there should be any problems using it this way even though the strap can stretch (20%) or is there?

What do you guys think?

Clunk
6th June 2015, 09:11 PM
Didn't think a bit of stretch was a good thing when towing or winching. ....... but I'll let the more knowledgeable folk tell us what's what

threedogs
7th June 2015, 07:50 AM
Never use it for towing or winching use it around camp dragging bag logs for the fire.
I wouldnt use it they are cheap enough to buy IMO

Rock Trol
7th June 2015, 09:41 AM
I thought the stretch when towing might be a little more gentle on the tow points? I was thinking that if the strap loses its stretching ability due to towing then in effect it becomes the same as a tow strap?

threedogs
7th June 2015, 09:49 AM
It will propell the towed 4x4 into the back of the towee lol
Plus if winching up hill[steep] you'll have 3.5 ton hanging on an elastic band
not good , Use the straps for what they are designed for to avoid vehicle damage or injury
it is a safety thing IMO

the evil twin
7th June 2015, 01:47 PM
Another vote for 'Don't do it' esp as a winch extension.

If things go pear shaped when winching releasing the winch control switch means the recovery process stops in a stable configuration with static loads.
If a snatchy is involved it could be loaded to 3 to 6 thousand KGs of kinetic load depending on the winch.
Stopping the winch won't release that load
I have 1 winch extension strap but actually find my length of 20mm Dyneema much handier as it goes thru a snatch block and a strap won't

As a tow strap the max legal length on the road is 4 metres
IMHO much better to spend 20 to 30 bucks on a dedicated folded eye tow strap which can also be used as an equaliser bridle or tree trunk protector

Getting out of the bush then the needs dictate the means so maybe if nothing else is available then use a snatchy but I would double it over to reduce the stretch and go really, really easy.

ozjeff
21st June 2015, 08:04 AM
From what I recall when looking in to recovery gear, was you could use a snatch strap as an EMERGENCY tow strap (definitely not a winch extension though) and for a very short distance - basically get to stable ground only to recover properly later. However if used for towing, it should NEVER be used again and tossed out.

threedogs
25th June 2015, 01:44 PM
More a FYI spied these at TJM this morning, all clearly maked and colour coded
similar to ARB, makes good sense to me and may,,, just may prevent an accident

Rock Trol
25th June 2015, 06:32 PM
Thanks guys.
After reading the replies and thinking about the forces involved I will use the straps for what they are intended for.

threedogs
26th June 2015, 01:56 PM
Thanks guys.
After reading the replies and thinking about the forces involved I will use the straps for what they are intended for.

After say a muddy trip give your straps a wash in warm soapy water, rinse and hang to dry.
DO NOT repeat NO NOT use your wifes washing machine, wives have this weird attachment
similar to us and our Patrols. I've only broken one washing machine, lesson learnt the hard way $$$$$
Good time to check for cuts and frayed sections, They say they are good for 5 recoveries.
Thats just a guestimate

TPC
26th June 2015, 02:48 PM
After say a muddy trip give your straps a wash in warm soapy water, rinse and hang to dry.
DO NOT repeat NO NOT use your wifes washing machine, wives have this weird attachment
similar to us and our Patrols. I've only broken one washing machine, lesson learnt the hard way $$$$$
Good time to check for cuts and frayed sections, They say they are good for 5 recoveries.
Thats just a guestimate

Only 5 recoveries?
I have been on Njarkat Border Track trips where I have done 5 recoveries per day. (Bloody Land Rovers)