PDA

View Full Version : Winch Maintenance

Patrol-Guy
4th June 2015, 05:52 PM
Hi all,

When I bought my winch I was told to run the winch out once a month and when reaching camp if I had encountered a water crossing.

I usually run t out once or twice a month and after a water crossing when I get home or to camp but just wondering what you do.

I feel like I should be spraying it with WD40 to keep it all well lubricated but can't really see where to start spraying.

So what is your usual winch maintenance routine?

Paul.

MudRunnerTD
4th June 2015, 08:31 PM
Hi mate is it a hi mount or low mount? Assuming it's a low mount there is not really anywhere to lubricate as it is direct drive off the end of the motor and the gear box is packed with grease. There are not and dry bushes.

Ideally you have a breather on the winch and it is sealed. You may consider removing the winch once a year and opening it up for inspection and regrease.

pat in a troll
8th June 2015, 11:46 AM
regarding wd40, i've found it doesn't hold up for as long as a lubricant when conditions change, but I suppose if there is nothing else at all then wd40 will work

threedogs
8th June 2015, 03:05 PM
regarding wd40, i've found it doesn't hold up for as long as a lubricant when conditions change, but I suppose if there is nothing else at all then wd40 will work

Lanotec Ive found to be a great lubricant and will seal things quite well ,battery terminals etc.
Just make sure its dry before using equipment.
Must pressurize my winch soon

pat in a troll
8th June 2015, 05:42 PM
I might have to give lanotec a try one day. I know inox is a better penetrating oil than WD40, but I don't have any inox at the moment so WD40 is the go-to spray for that purpose

Patrol-Guy
8th June 2015, 06:07 PM
Thanks for the input guys but I was more asking along the lines of what do you do to keep your winch in working order. I've heard many stories about people not touching them for like a year then when you want it it doesn't work.

As I said in my original post, I run my winch out once or twice a month just to ensure it remains in working order but is this enough to make sure it remains in working order or am I supposed to get it serviced?

Was wondering what everyone else does.