PDA

View Full Version : Buying my first Partol

Poley82
3rd June 2015, 04:28 AM
Hi all. I am looking at purchasing my first Nissan Patrol. I live in Brisbane, QLD and I am looking at the TD42T from 1999-2006. My main purpose is to have a capable tourer and daily driver. I have had a look and drive of a couple now but would like to know of any signs to look out for before I purchase.

One thing that I noticed is that 2 of them had a weeping rocker cover on the passenger side(down the length of the motor). One with 160k and another with 300k on the clock. Is this a common problem? Should it be an easy fix? Cost? or is it a sign of trouble to come? One of the sellers said that He'd replaced the gasket but it was the bolts that were the issue and they cost a bit to replace. Is this true?

Another thing is that on a vin plate of a GU 1999 ST it read 'TD42' and not 'TD42(T)'. It does have a turbo though that looks like a factory job. My question is 'Is this right?' Could they have put a factory turbo on or is it an oversight for this year/model?

Thanks in advance

Pokey82

growler2058
3rd June 2015, 05:41 AM
It's a fairly easy job to put a factory turbo or aftermarket one on a td42

Sent from my iPhone using My thumbs

threedogs
3rd June 2015, 01:03 PM
make sure what ever you by has creditable history,
I dont think you can go wrong with a 4.2TD a bit slow
and not as technical as a ZD30 but reliable as all get out

yummo
13th June 2015, 01:24 PM
I just bought a 2009 Patrol ST from Zupps at Southport, BUT I was keepeing my eye on vehcles through east Coast Commercials. Missed a beauty there the other month as I procrastinated a bit too long!