PDA

View Full Version : Changing timing case seal

jay see
2nd June 2015, 10:26 PM
As the tile reads.
I'm looking at doing this soon along with the a/c bearing.
While I've got the front of the engine apart is there anything else that I should be looking at doing?

mudski
3rd June 2015, 08:34 PM
As the tile reads.
I'm looking at doing this soon along with the a/c bearing.
While I've got the front of the engine apart is there anything else that I should be looking at doing?
You have the tb45 haven't you? Check any idler pulleys while your there.

jay see
4th June 2015, 12:00 AM
You have the tb45 haven't you?

Yep. Thanks mudski. Looks like a straight forward repair, now to find some time.

Robo
28th June 2015, 10:38 AM
Water pump, belts, alternator bearings.
Remover radiator,clean air con condenser Externally.
eg blow compressed air in a reverse direction through core.
It'll clear most stuck objects, you may be surprised how much crap falls out.
Can do the same with radiator.
May as well get the hose out and back flush the rad and engine at same time.
New thermostate & new coolant
If its a copper brass rad fresh coat of paint helps to prolong their life.
sure to be more ya can think of!

jay see
14th July 2015, 06:18 AM
Has anyone got part numbers so I can go into a bearing shop or bursons to get the idler and the a/c bearings. Can't take them off and drive it there. Also what size bolts are needed to take out the a/c bearing. Would like to have everything ready to go before I start.

jay see
15th July 2015, 09:24 PM
Bump.
For some help please.

jff45
16th July 2015, 07:48 AM
I'm pretty sure the idler bearing is a standard 6025. I bought 1 for my TD42 engine last week for $18 and I have a spare idler for my TB45 and it looks to be identical.

You can, in fact, take them off and drive it there. The A/C belt isn't required to drive the car..

jay see
16th July 2015, 12:12 PM
I'm pretty sure the idler bearing is a standard 6025. I bought 1 for my TD42 engine last week for $18 and I have a spare idler for my TB45 and it looks to be identical.

You can, in fact, take them off and drive it there. The A/C belt isn't required to drive the car..

Thanks for the reply.
Only problem is the a/c belt is the first one to go back on.
Gave Bursons a call and they want $63 for the idler pulley. They can keep it.
If I'm not working Sunday I'll be doing the timing case seal and a/c compressor bearing, idler isn't noisy anyway. Anyone know the what bearing is needed for the compressor?

Thanks again for the reply

jff45
16th July 2015, 02:55 PM
It's not a 6205, it's a 6203DU2..

This is a TB45E idler pulley. If you expand the pic you can read the number..

jay see
16th July 2015, 06:45 PM
Thanks, but I won't be doing the idler. It's its the a/c bearing that's noisy. The idler was more a preventative measure, will take note of the numbers for future use.
Cheers for that.

jay see
20th July 2015, 10:20 PM
Finally made a start on this this afternoon.
Easier than I thought, will match up the A/C bearing tomorrow at a bearing shop and put it all back together.

mudski
21st July 2015, 08:44 AM
Finally made a start on this this afternoon.
Easier than I thought, will match up the A/C bearing tomorrow at a bearing shop and put it all back together.

Have you got a press for the a/c bearing? Assuming its the same as the ZD compressor, the bearing needs to be presses out and then in. Also make sure you support the centre part of the pulley when removing and refitting the bearing. It kind of flexes and when I first did mine I didn't notice then when I went to fit the pulley back up it was out of line with the belt. Kinda hard to explain this one...

jay see
21st July 2015, 10:01 AM
Nah, no press.
Just gave it a couple descent hits with a hammer and pipe that fits nicely over the bearing. Just tried repco as it was near the school after dropping off my son and no good, will call the father in law to drive me up the bearing wholesalers in Sunshine. Wife needs her call to get to work.

jay see
21st July 2015, 10:02 AM
Have you got a press for the a/c bearing? Assuming its the same as the ZD compressor, the bearing needs to be presses out and then in. Also make sure you support the centre part of the pulley when removing and refitting the bearing. It kind of flexes and when I first did mine I didn't notice then when I went to fit the pulley back up it was out of line with the belt. Kinda hard to explain this one...

Nah, no press.
Just gave it a couple descent hits with a hammer and pipe that fits nicely over the bearing. Just tried repco as it was near the school after dropping off my son and no good, will call the father in law to drive me up the bearing wholesalers in Sunshine. Wife needs her call to get to work.

Oops double post...

jay see
21st July 2015, 03:15 PM
Job done...
Soo much quieter than before. I can now hear the exhaust leak again. :confused:
Will monitor over the next day, I think one of the clamps on the tranny line might be leaking a little.
If someone wants a write up yell out and I'll do one, but its pretty straight forward.

dom14
23rd July 2015, 12:12 AM
Thanks for the reply.
Only problem is the a/c belt is the first one to go back on.
Gave Bursons a call and they want $63 for the idler pulley. They can keep it.
If I'm not working Sunday I'll be doing the timing case seal and a/c compressor bearing, idler isn't noisy anyway. Anyone know the what bearing is needed for the compressor?

Thanks again for the reply

Why do you have to change the whole pulley?!
Why not just replace the bearing?!!!

dom14
23rd July 2015, 12:15 AM
It's not a 6205, it's a 6203DU2..

This is a TB45E idler pulley. If you expand the pic you can read the number..

That bearing shouldn't be hard replace. It should be dirt cheap from Bearing Wholesalers.

jay see
23rd July 2015, 03:51 AM
Why do you have to change the whole pulley?!
Why not just replace the bearing?!!!
I was trying to get the A/C bearing from Burson and and asked for the idler as well. I asked for the bearing she quoted me for the pulley as well.

That bearing shouldn't be hard replace. It should be dirt cheap from Bearing Wholesalers.
It's was about $5, but it was never the problem.

dom14
23rd July 2015, 04:59 AM
Yes, it might be a good thing not to fix it if it ain't broken. :)
You can also try leaving the old bearing with the pulley in an oil bath over night.
Clean just the pulley areas in the morning, put it back and the bearing will have bit of extra life added to from the oil bath.
Socrates used to do the same thing once a week with olive oil.
Apparently that extended his life until he was poisoned. :)