PDA

View Full Version : ls1 or FG Falcon for blown ZD30 conversion

ozjeff
2nd June 2015, 12:16 PM
Ok, so my only 15K rebuilt ZD30 blew (http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/showthread.php?32220-15-000KMs-on-rebuilt-motor-full-NADS-and-still-goes-bang-%28)

Finally working and have the money again. Was looking at a TD42 conversion, but no one seems interested, especially since mines an Auto, and the only one that will isn't rebuilt for a price that really should be rebuilt.

So I'm down to 2 options:
ls1 ~ $9K (new everything) - bit more if I want to go ls2.
FG $13.5K (late model donker)
TD42 with Turbo $11K (unknown KMs,not rebuilt)

So far PROs for the ls1 is more grunt, while the FG is less fuel usage (rumoured to be around 12l/100 Hwy) and cheaper rego.

I do have 220 litres worth of tank capacity onboard, so won't need to tow a service station behind me, but given the price of fuel today and in the future ....

So any thoughts on which way to go??

ozjeff
2nd June 2015, 12:24 PM
Whoops - should have put in the Engine Conversions forum :1087:

threedogs
2nd June 2015, 01:17 PM
what do you want to use the Patrol for, touring or weekend work,
I'm toying at fitting a BMW 3ltr single turbo, just getting prices as I write

Rock Trol
2nd June 2015, 01:20 PM
$9000 for the LS1 is pretty good. Especially if it's new or rebuilt.
You won't need to stress when overtaking either. :)

ozjeff
2nd June 2015, 02:17 PM
what do you want to use the Patrol for, touring or weekend work,
I'm toying at fitting a BMW 3ltr single turbo, just getting prices as I write

I knew I should have added that.

I don't go rock hopping, more the easy to medium stuff. Then again I guess that could change with a more capable motor :P

There's not much around here, so longer drives are required, so a little touring as well, going away/camping for long weekends etc. So driving say up to the Cape and doing that and back home (Gold Coast). So a general mix really.

Don't tow anything at the moment, but do keep looking at camper trailers.

lhurley
2nd June 2015, 03:03 PM
The v8 will have amazing torque (my street car is a v8), and reasonable economy if your not driving it like a race car. Plus plenty of power for "over taking". Down side being rego is $1050/year in QLD

The fg should see fairly similar economy (heavier car then falcon so will eat more) but will go like stink with a turbo on it. Probaly not as ideal for towing. Not sure on torque but it will be the less of the 3.

TD42, well not a fast motor, but plenty of torque and is a factory option.

If it was my money i would lean towards the v8, LS motors are reliable and cheap on parts as everything in the USA has a LS of some kind. Have a look for a L77 or L98 as well, both a 6L chev, and are basically a LS2 with LS3 heads. They come out of the VE SS commodores

nissannewby
2nd June 2015, 07:10 PM
The v8 will have amazing torque (my street car is a v8), and reasonable economy if your not driving it like a race car. Plus plenty of power for "over taking". Down side being rego is $1050/year in QLD

The fg should see fairly similar economy (heavier car then falcon so will eat more) but will go like stink with a turbo on it. Probaly not as ideal for towing. Not sure on torque but it will be the less of the 3.

TD42, well not a fast motor, but plenty of torque and is a factory option.

If it was my money i would lean towards the v8, LS motors are reliable and cheap on parts as everything in the USA has a LS of some kind. Have a look for a L77 or L98 as well, both a 6L chev, and are basically a LS2 with LS3 heads. They come out of the VE SS commodores

Torque wise for towing you can't beat a straight 6. This is evident in road trucks. The falcon motor even with a standard turbo will tow incredibly well. They are gathering momentum in the conversion world to.

A td42 in good condition will outlast the others but be a little slower. They are a pretty simple engine with the bear minimum of electrics so less to go wrong.

ozjeff
3rd June 2015, 12:36 PM
I was this ' ' close to going the Ford FG (BTW that price was non Turbo - if it was Turbo I'd have gone that route), so I just couldn't resist the savings on the LS1. So LS1 it is :)

In he looooong run going the Ford would work out a little cheaper (Rego, potential fuel savings) but given there's quite a few with LS1's around already there's a bit of a support group for them versus very few with the Barra motor. Parts are good for both motors, and way cheaper than diesel, and most mechanics know both rather well as well.

Oh well a few weeks and I can finally drive my baby again :)

threedogs
3rd June 2015, 12:52 PM
I Just got a price back which was $11k US for everything including 100k running motor
and $500 to ship it over. I dont know if their motor would pass our emissions,
so Im going to ask for another price less the motor

Cuppa
3rd June 2015, 12:59 PM
I dont know if their motor would pass our emissions,
so Im going to ask for another price less the motor

So that would be a price for just the freight? LOL <puzzled>

ozjeff
3rd June 2015, 01:03 PM
So that would be a price for just the freight? LOL <puzzled>

No it would be "for everything LESS 100k running motor" :P

ozjeff
4th June 2015, 09:09 PM
Thought I'd take a video this morning of the last time I see the ZD30 under this hood once and for all :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0iJik_0Y7e8

and now the fun begins :)

Will have to put up a comparison video for when it's finished, should sound a little different :)

ozjeff
17th June 2015, 11:23 AM
It's ALIVE :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MY15RknBPTo

threedogs
17th June 2015, 12:10 PM
Gotta love a V8 my other 4x4 has a 350 in it what a weapon that was
so thinking a LS1 in a GU would be even better

Rock Trol
17th June 2015, 12:51 PM
Now that's a sweet sound!
I would be really interested in how she goes, especially the fuel consumption. The ZD30's ran 4.3:1 diff ratios from memory so is that too low for a petrol V8? Is it time for twin lockers with 3.9:1 ratio (or what ever the 4.8's came with)?

The other question I have about these conversions is how well do they do in deep water crossings with the spark plugs located much lower in the engine bay. With a straight six they are much higher up. Does anyone have any experience with water crossings and V8 conversions?

ozjeff
18th June 2015, 11:02 AM
Yeah I'll be selling my ECU Talk and getting a ScanGauge (or similar) to see how the fuel goes - that's after I've played around with the extra power first :)

From what I've heard around 14L/100km and 18L/100KM towing HWY (so tad more without towing, but less when towing given the less strain).

I was worried about River Crossings on a Petrol, but after watching a tonne of clips on Youtube etc of LS1's doing river crossings (even without water bra), deep mud etc and those with them already never having a problem (still using the snorkel of course) I gave in on going Petrol.

So once I've played, I'll see how it goes.

Rock Trol
18th June 2015, 11:41 AM
Yeah I'll be selling my ECU Talk and getting a ScanGauge (or similar) to see how the fuel goes - that's after I've played around with the extra power first :)

From what I've heard around 14L/100km and 18L/100KM towing HWY (so tad more without towing, but less when towing given the less strain).

I was worried about River Crossings on a Petrol, but after watching a tonne of clips on Youtube etc of LS1's doing river crossings (even without water bra), deep mud etc and those with them already never having a problem (still using the snorkel of course) I gave in on going Petrol.

So once I've played, I'll see how it goes.

That sounds really good. I get 12.8/100km and 16/100km towing on the highway with the CRD so while better it's not that much better. For the extra power and not needing to worry about dodgy fuel/grenading the engine it would be worth it. No plans to change and I hope the CRD gets 500 000km but if something major went prematurely on the engine I think this might be the solution.
Keep us posted on how the Patrol performs with the LS1.