PDA

View Full Version : What's this sensor in the inlet manifold?

jff45
1st June 2015, 07:28 PM
in the attached pic, just above the 2 filters there's a sensor with 2 thick wires. This just in front of what I believe to be the over boost protection valve?
Can anyone tell me what that sensor does?

Ben-e-boy
1st June 2015, 07:33 PM
There is no pic :)

jff45
1st June 2015, 08:00 PM
There is no pic :)

Doh! Fixed..

sooty_10
1st June 2015, 08:24 PM
Glow system resister?

Yendor
1st June 2015, 08:27 PM
It's a dropping resistor. It part of the second stage for the glow plugs.

jff45
1st June 2015, 08:37 PM

Thanks Yendor (Rodney?), I just now found your reply elsewhere doing a further search.
As this will be a conversion I don't think I'll bother wiring it up.

Yendor
1st June 2015, 09:26 PM
Yeah mate, Most people that have disconnected it in QLD claim they don't have any starting issues afterwards anyway. I wouldn't bother wiring it up either.

Not sure what your intentions are regarding the glow plug timer circuit. If your using a manual momentary push button in the dash you can always push the button again once the engine has started. If your using an aftermarket timer most of these have an option for second stage anyway.

I noticed you asked a question regarding climate control. Once you bypass the ECU it should work. Apart from, I would expect the A/C clutch and condenser fan to come on when the ignition is turned on (if the A/C is turned on) as the TB45 ECU normally commands these on and off.

I was talking with a guy on facebook last night the had gone from a TB45 auto to TD42 manual who had bypassed the ECU but the A/C stopped getting cold after running for a period of time. Not sure what is problem is but I expect it might be either a faulty thermostat or the A/C system has been over gassed. He still had both the engine and auto ECUs fitted.

Cheers Rodney

jff45
1st June 2015, 10:00 PM
Another thing the TB45E ECU commands is the A/C fan when temp reaches a certain point with no A/C on. I think it also handles the A/C cutout when too hot. I'll try to include the old system that used a temp sensor in the rad.

Yendor
1st June 2015, 10:16 PM
Yes that is correct.

The TD42 uses two temperature sensor in the radiator to achieve this. One turns the fan on once it reaches a certain temperature (if the A/C is turned off) and the other sensor will turn the A/C off if the temperature goes too high.

nissannewby
1st June 2015, 10:17 PM

I have disconnected these and even completely taken them out when doing a custom manifold. Absolutely no difference was made to cold starting.

Yendor
1st June 2015, 10:31 PM
I have disconnected these and even completely taken them out when doing a custom manifold. Absolutely no difference was made to cold starting.

Yeah it only seems to be people from colder states that claim the engine runs rough on cold starts until it warms up a bit. But I guess engine and injector pump condition will also play a part in this.

jff45
1st June 2015, 10:33 PM

Cheers Matt, I'll remove and put a bung in.

Robo
21st August 2015, 09:07 PM
Temporally disconnecting this resistor will allow power to run for longer to heat the plugs correct?.
"trouble shooting a suss resistor".

Answer is no it won't