PDA

View Full Version : Anzac day

Maxhead
23rd March 2011, 10:49 PM
Just wondering what everyone has planned for ANZAC day this year?

I try and get to different small towns every year and celebrate or commiserate this day, just to see what different towns/people do .

Not sure what I'm doing this year as it usually a pretty late decision....might be Tuross Heads yet!

Finly Owner
23rd March 2011, 10:54 PM
We may head into main service in one of our locals

Silver
23rd March 2011, 11:07 PM
I remember 20 years ago they closed the Hume in some one horse town somewhere near Gundagai - may have been Nth of Gundagai as we were probably going there.

Caused a huge traffic jam as through traffic was detoured through the back street - semis had some issues.

I kind of got why they did it - and in all probability the War Memorial the Rissole were both on the main drag. Still...... Problem probably solved by a bypass now.

the evil twin
24th March 2011, 01:59 AM
That was probably Tarcutta.

We used to do the parade there and a heap of other small towns around the Riverina when I was training at RAAF Forest Hill (Wagga) as did the Army boys from the other side of town at Kapooka... altho it was more than 20 years ago for me, over 40 years past that now.

Some of those small town services are the ducks guts to go to. Real grass roots dinki di aussie stuff. Back then there was still a lot of WW 1 dudes around and the yarns those old fellas could spin were rivetting... plus you didn't get spit on 'cause you were in Uniform by the pathetic hippy scum like in the cap cities in the late 60's early 70's.

Bl00dy great to see ANZAC Day getting bigger and bigger each year but I am a tad biased I spose

growler2058
24th March 2011, 07:31 PM
Last year was at Loveday so went to the dawn service at Barmera which involved a heap of riverland towns from round the district all in one was a really good service.

This year most likely Adelaide for dawn service and the parade then to Torrens parade grounds for two up followed by a few more rememberance drinks up at the Union Hotel.

Lest we forget

Woof
24th March 2011, 07:37 PM
Always the Dawn Service, missed it last year due to marshaling at an Off Road Comp but not this year, like ET said it is great to see the crowds getting bigger every year and a lot of them are the young ones.
Lest We Forget

Bigrig
24th March 2011, 07:58 PM
Yep - dawn service somewhere in Coffs Harbour this year - taking the kids as they've never been.

Finly Owner
24th March 2011, 10:44 PM
Yep - dawn service somewhere in Coffs Harbour this year - taking the kids as they've never been.

I believe Coffs has a huge dawn service followed by main service mid morn Scott.

Tim

Bigrig
24th March 2011, 10:48 PM
I believe Coffs has a huge dawn service followed by main service mid morn Scott.

Tim

Correct - down at the harbour park in the morning I believe ...

Finly Owner
24th March 2011, 10:50 PM
I would gladly take ANZAC day with out pay( ie no paid public holiday) to remember those returned and passed on, those bought home to lay to rest, those who were lost forever, those still laying in foreign grounds, those who still siffer the mental torture of what they did/saw, and those who are serving now.

Lest We Forget

And stuff those who are offended by this day of public rememberance.

Bigrig
24th March 2011, 10:54 PM
I would gladly take ANZAC day with out pay( ie no paid public holiday) to remember those returned and passed on, those bought home to lay to rest, those who were lost forever, those still laying in foreign grounds, those who still siffer the mental torture of what they did/saw, and those who are serving now.

Lest We Forget

And stuff those who are offended by this day of public rememberance.

Agreed on all counts - but where did this response come from? Did I miss something posted earlier? Or are you just up on the soap box? lol

As said, either way, I agree whole heartedly!

Finly Owner
24th March 2011, 11:03 PM
just getting in early..........................

Bigrig
24th March 2011, 11:04 PM
just getting in early..........................

Furry muff ...

the ferret
25th March 2011, 12:15 AM
I'm lucky enough to live on a canal, I have a flagpole, I have great pride in being an Aussie.
First thing in the morning I do the flag bit, and then at the going down of the sun, I lower it and with pride and great care, I fold it and stow it till next time.
Every boat that goes past must see it and I hope that many take the time to think about the men and women who gave their lives so that we can live freely in this beautiful country.
Lest we forget our countrymen..... and women.
http://i608.photobucket.com/albums/tt164/ferret/panorama3.jpg

Bigrig
25th March 2011, 08:35 AM
I'm lucky enough to live on a canal, I have a flagpole, I have great pride in being an Aussie.
First thing in the morning I do the flag bit, and then at the going down of the sun, I lower it and with pride and great care, I fold it and stow it till next time.
Every boat that goes past must see it and I hope that many take the time to think about the men and women who gave their lives so that we can live freely in this beautiful country.

Top lad ferret - and nice canal you live on by the looks also!!

growler2058
25th March 2011, 08:50 AM
i would gladly take anzac day with out pay( ie no paid public holiday) to remember those returned and passed on, those bought home to lay to rest, those who were lost forever, those still laying in foreign grounds, those who still siffer the mental torture of what they did/saw, and those who are serving now.

lest we forget

and stuff those who are offended by this day of public rememberance.

here here!!

Maxhead
25th March 2011, 05:27 PM

On ya mate!!!
but what happened to the two santa's helpers???

Woof
25th March 2011, 08:51 PM
I know it is not Anzac Day yet but just watched this and bought a tear to my eyes, love this country of ours so much and I am so proud of the boys and girls from both Australia and New Zealand who gave their lives to give us all what we have today
Also to the ones that made it home to their loved ones.....THANK YOU ALL, LEST WE FORGET

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mY_ezjs0vkI

the ferret
25th March 2011, 08:58 PM
On ya mate!!!
but what happened to the two santa's helpers???

They are ""busy"" at the moment!!... lol

Sir Roofy
25th March 2011, 09:18 PM
i would gladly take anzac day with out pay( ie no paid public holiday) to remember those returned and passed on, those bought home to lay to rest, those who were lost forever, those still laying in foreign grounds, those who still siffer the mental torture of what they did/saw, and those who are serving now.

lest we forget

and stuff those who are offended by this day of public rememberance.

what a great bunch of men we have on this site and ladys as well
makes you proud to be an aussi

Woof
25th March 2011, 09:37 PM
Tingles Doggy.

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2011/03/27.jpg http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2011/03/28.jpg

Thanks Plassy, we seem to think that it is just an Australian thing, I know that I am guilty of it but ANZAC DAY is about our brothers from New Zealand for without them the Anzac tradition would not have gone down in history and mean so much to everyone from both countries.
To all of our brothers in and from New Zealand, all that I can say is that this coming Anzac Day and all future ones, I will also be remembering your sons, daughters, mothers, fathers and all loved ones of their sacrifices as well......LEST WE FORGET

chowaka
27th March 2011, 09:24 AM
Wee Jasper is having its first every community Anzac Day this year. Not sure if it's a dawn service or morning service - I imagine they'll put it up on http://www.weejasperreserves.com.au/news&weather.html that's usually where they put up stuff that is on at Wee Jasper.

They used to do a dawn service at the campgrounds some years but have decided to do a community one now. The community has a population of about 60 or so but on long weekends 100s roll in to the campgrounds, so it should be a good service.

We'll be there.

Bob
27th March 2011, 09:54 AM
for anybody up around Jamieson area in the High Country they have a great dawn service at Jamieson

DX grunt
27th March 2011, 11:42 AM
Thanks Wayne. I get goose bumps every time! I missed out on going to Vietnam by about 2 years I think - even though I was in the navy at the time.

Thanks again.

Ross

xamrab
27th March 2011, 01:36 PM
I'll be marching on Anzac Day with my son and grandson and I will be wearing my Dad's medals - WWII. My Dad died in the mid 90's and when he was alive he always marched on Anzac Day. I follow in his footsteps.

After Anzac Day, we will be heading north to Karijini National Park.