PDA

View Full Version : Its swag time

AB
29th May 2015, 08:46 PM
I think it's time to invest in a swag.

Lots of boys trips happening in the last few years and after a drunken episode 5 years ago I suddenly have a family of four which eventuated in a cargo barrier that ruined my care free sleep in the car trips ;)

Thought about cutting a section for my legs but...lol

Never bought a swag before and I know many of you here live and love it!

At this point in time what is the best value for money I can get one?

Definitely not cheap, quality at an affordable price question?

Also, why does every single swagger sleep under their awning or a half ass tarp tied to their patrol which blows over at 4am in the high country and you're out there freezing your buttocks pegging down in your budgies ;)

I don't want an awning or carry a roof rack unless touring so a swag out in the open harsh wet elements is just plain painful or?

I'm more interested in quick one/two night boys trips only, minimal time set up scenarios.

lucus30
29th May 2015, 08:54 PM
Love my Dune 4wd outback swag but if i bought another Id probably get one with a centrepole down the middle so it can be self standing ie no need to peg it down
Under the awning is fantastic it means you don't get a wet arse if its raining when you get in/out. I will be using my new awning extension tomorrow for it so will see how that goes

MudRunnerTD
29th May 2015, 08:54 PM
Buy a double swag for a little more room or a king single.

The latest designs are more like a dome tent than a swag and for a long term investment I would be leaning that way. A bit of room to get dissed is great.

I tarp up and have a tarp n the ground too. Come what may then Rain Hail Snow or ashine. Have Never been wet in my swag:

My double swag fits Zach and I in it which is great but he is nearlly ready for his own and I have a single for him.

lucus30
29th May 2015, 08:56 PM
Buy a double swag for a little more room or a king single.

The latest designs are more like a dome tent than a swag and for a long term investment I would be leaning that way. A bit of room to get dissed is great.

I tarp up and have a tarp n the ground too. Come what may then rain hail snow or shine. Have Necer been wet in my swag:

My double swag fits Zach and I in it which is great but he is nearlly ready for his own and I have a single for him.

Yeah I agree mine is a double and its great but its very big when packed up

Edit: And the only reason id say free standing is good is because when you camp in huts or rotundas like I did at O'tooles you can't peg them into anything

Winnie
29th May 2015, 08:57 PM
I have had several bad experiences sleeping in the rain in my swag... I get wet! I have never seen anybody camp outside in the rain and not get wet.
Some are definitely better than others, mine was a $400 swag that I got on special but I don't really like it compared to others I see.

lucus30
29th May 2015, 08:59 PM
I have had several bad experiences sleeping in the rain in my swag... I get wet! I have never seen anybody camp outside in the rain and not get wet.
Some are definitely better than others, mine was a $400 swag that I got on special but I don't really like it compared to others I see.

Its funny you say that. I am always under the awning so haven't really tested it out. However heaps of my friends swag it sans shelter or awning in the rain and they don't have any issues

MudRunnerTD
29th May 2015, 09:01 PM
This is my Swag setup. The tarp is designed to be setup like that. Great bit of kit. A few options and I rate it. It is about 5m long giving great cover to both ends. Room to leave my boots out at night and have used this heaps

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2015/05/373.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk cause AB turned it back on!!

Winnie
29th May 2015, 09:02 PM
Its funny you say that. I am always under the awning so haven't really tested it out. However heaps of my friends swag it sans shelter or awning in the rain and they don't have any issues
Not that they are willing to admit I bet...
Look I'm sure some people really do have no dramas but they would be high quality swags by real canvas companies and not Hugh volume stuff by ARB and the likes.
You would have to set them up well, peg them down and make sure they are nice and tight... I bet I would set up my tent and mattress faster than that would be.

lucus30
29th May 2015, 09:05 PM
Not that they are willing to admit I bet...
Look I'm sure some people really do have no dramas but they would be high quality swags by real canvas companies and not Hugh volume stuff by ARB and the likes.
You would have to set them up well, peg them down and make sure they are nice and tight... I bet I would set up my tent and mattress faster than that would be.

I soaked my swag in the bathtub a few times to try and stop it leaking, If and when I test it out in the rain I'll let you know how i go.
Most good swag companies have sold out now any way and they are mostly made in china

Hodge
29th May 2015, 09:07 PM
I have had several swags, and now own a ARB dome swag. BY far the best I have ever had and used. Best canvass and warmest during winter. And yes I DO always set swag under my awning or inside a tent during winter, especially during wet weather. I like to be cozy and warm.

AB consider the jet tent bunker... Off the ground. Extremely comfortable, super quick to set up...

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=58409&stc=1

Maxhead
29th May 2015, 09:08 PM
I usually try not to risk it and get under cover these days but my swag is close to 20 years old. It's all about how you set it up, spend a little time to set up properly and you'll be dry. Many times I've got drenched but that was because I never made it inside the bloody thing :)

lucus30
29th May 2015, 09:09 PM
I must admit I do like the look of the jetbunkers. They aren't terribly $$$ either

lucus30
29th May 2015, 09:10 PM
I usually try not to risk it and get under cover these days but my swag is close to 20 years old. It's all about how you set it up, spend a little time to set up properly and you'll be dry. Many times I've got drenched but that was because I never made it inside the bloody thing :)

Ba ha ha Oh Nisshead

Hodge
29th May 2015, 09:10 PM
Sorry, forgot to add, the ARB swag i have now got absolutely drenched one night few months ago as we ran out of daylight and cbf rolling the awning out. We had a massive downpour, even woke up in a puddle and not a drop got inside. Mind you I did cure it, and had it soaking fully submerged in water after purchase for a full day... This may have helped or not, I don't know.

lucus30
29th May 2015, 09:12 PM
Sorry, forgot to add, the ARB swag i have now got absolutely drenched one night few months ago as we ran out of daylight and cbf rolling the awning out. We had a massive downpour, even woke up in a puddle and not a drop got inside. Mind you I did cure it, and had it soaking fully submerged in water after purchase for a full day... This may have helped or not, I don't know.

I like to errr on the side of caution and cure mine too. Don't know if it makes a difference but people who know more than me seem to think so

AB
29th May 2015, 09:17 PM
Jet bunker, what dollars are we talking? ;)

lucus30
29th May 2015, 09:21 PM
About $500 ish from memory

Maxhead
29th May 2015, 09:24 PM
Remember this guy Andy www.mrswagman.com.au (http://www.mrswagman.com.au) ?? He was a member here offering discounts too from memory. Aussie swag mate!
I like this thing: http://www.mrswagman.com.au/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=76

Hodge
29th May 2015, 09:24 PM
About $500 ish from memory

Nah mate way cheaper than that. Single one is about $350.
https://www.snowys.com.au/Sleeping-Gear/Stretchers-and-Beds/Jet-Tent-Bunker-Stretcher.aspx?c=3&sc=22&id=4424

I got my XL for $370 at the show last year.
Speaking of the show I might be there tomorrow morning and I will see what the best price he can do now...

lucus30
29th May 2015, 09:27 PM
Ah my fault Eric I hadn't looked I thought I'd seen one for about that price.
My mistake

AB
29th May 2015, 09:59 PM
Thanks gents ;)

Clunk
29th May 2015, 10:32 PM
I bought an Oztrail King single Mitchell off a guy on Gumtree for $100, guy only used it twice and decided he didnt like swags..... used it a couple of times myself but not in the rain yet, only thing I dont like, is the middle pole runs under the fly and canvas. If i was ti get another one i think id get one of those dome type ones with the bars that are all external

lucus30
29th May 2015, 11:00 PM
Yeah Clunk I reckon those ones look the goods also.

Cuppa
30th May 2015, 10:14 AM
I’ve got a top quality swag (Saul of Tawonga) which is roomy & warm ..... but bottom line is it doesn’t matter how good a swag is, if it’s not under cover & it’s p’ing down with rain when you go to bed or when you get up ......... you’re gonna get wet. I now tend to think of swags as a convenient all in one dry weather bed solution. As long as you are assured of dry weather it’s a nice way to camp, but if it’s dry why do you need a swag when you could just use a sleeping bag & mattress outside?

As Winnie said earlier, if you have to put up shelter to sleep under in your swag, you might just as well use a sleeping bag & mattress inside a tent...... which will be far easier to store in the vehicle too.

Times have changed, technology has moved on, but somehow the swag remains part of the Aussie camping psyche despite being pretty much obsolete. Nowhere else in the world uses them .....which has to say something eh?

Clunk
30th May 2015, 11:14 AM
I you’re gonna get wet. I now tend to think of swags as a convenient all in one dry weather bed solution. As long as you are assured of dry weather it’s a nice way to camp, but if it’s dry why do you need a swag when you could just use a sleeping bag & mattress outside?

Because I don't like being attacked by mozzies and other insects at night

S Winnie said earlier, if you have to put up shelter to sleep under in your swag, you might just as well use a sleeping bag & mattress inside a tent...... which will be far easier to store in the vehicle too.

Depends on the tent

threedogs
30th May 2015, 12:15 PM
If you're over this way the new TJM Airport West has a range of about 10 swags on display in their showroom.
I'm sure they would do you a deal.
Im still waiting to see if Mark wants my King single 120cm wide brand new, I only used the matress in my camper once only

growler2058
30th May 2015, 12:48 PM

Mine stayed dry at Krissos

Hodge
30th May 2015, 01:52 PM
As long as you are assured of dry weather it’s a nice way to camp, but if it’s dry why do you need a swag when you could just use a sleeping bag & mattress outside?

This sometimes doesn't cut it no matter how dry it is? Not having a dig Cuppa, but just saying, winter, in the high country for example, you will need all the warmth you can get, including maybe a cozy swag. Just for warmth purposes.

GQ TANK
30th May 2015, 02:03 PM
I have a couple of swags - a dune and a custom built one (was given to me).

I use dune, and my 12 yo uses the custom built one. I replaced the mattress in the dune with a thicker and wilder unit as the factory mattress was too narrow and thin.
Getting into or out of a swag while it is raining is impossible without a tarp cover.
When I'm tenting I use the swags as a mattress’s.
If possible try a swag before you buy, they take a bit to get use to.

Softy
30th May 2015, 02:07 PM
If i know it is going to be a wet trip i take my crappy little dome tent and roll the swag out in there without the poles. Also it gives me a spot for some dry storage for things i don't want smashing around in the car while out wheeling.

I have some cheap and nasty Wild Country one from Ray's has served me well over about 8yrs only complaint is it could be a touch wider.

Bush Ranger
30th May 2015, 02:43 PM
I was told by a canvas worker, not to buy a swag that is made from cotton / poly cotton canvas. Apparently they aren`t as water proof and don`t last as long. I was told to water proof your swag by using the garden hose after you set the swag up. Well I bought a swag and followed the advice. I used it in the rain with no problems and I did use a tarp to put the swag on to, so it wasn`t on bare ground. I enjoyed the time with the swag.

Woof
30th May 2015, 03:40 PM
I lived in my swag (Burke & Wills) for about 2.5 months when working down South in Possum (aka Avo D'Cardo) country, the best ting I did was buy a stretcher to put it on, makes it so much more comfortable

Clunk
30th May 2015, 03:52 PM
I lived in my swag (Burke & Wills) for about 2.5 months when working down South in Possum (aka Avo D'Cardo) country, the best ting I did was buy a stretcher to put it on, makes it so much more comfortable

I just put mine on my 4wd self inflating mattress, gives me 15cm total mattress comfort............. mmmmmmmmmmmmm comfy

Winnie
30th May 2015, 04:02 PM
Mine stayed dry at Krissos
You were under a tarp!

DX grunt
30th May 2015, 04:05 PM
I have had several swags, and now own a ARB dome swag. BY far the best I have ever had and used. Best canvass and warmest during winter. And yes I DO always set swag under my awning or inside a tent during winter, especially during wet weather. I like to be cozy and warm.

AB consider the jet tent bunker... Off the ground. Extremely comfortable, super quick to set up...

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=58409&stc=1

I notice you nicely hid the 12v cord for the electric blanket!!! Far out. lol

DX grunt
30th May 2015, 04:08 PM
AB

If you're gunna do a lot of swagging, especially in the outback, you need to consider getting one with a sandfly net. You'll hear the mozzies buzzing, but they shouldn't be able to get to you. Nothing worse than hearing that BZZZZZZZ sound.

Hodge
30th May 2015, 04:09 PM
I notice you nicely hid the 12v cord for the electric blanket!!! Far out. lol

haha well spotted. That isn't my setup. That is a quick google image I found of the bunker.

Hodge
30th May 2015, 04:11 PM
AB

If you're gunna do a lot of swagging, especially in the outback, you need to consider getting one with a sandfly net. You'll hear the mozzies buzzing, but they shouldn't be able to get to you. Nothing worse than hearing that BZZZZZZZ sound.

Which is exactly the bunker without the fly over it. Perfect in warmer times/areas...

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=58413&stc=1

growler2058
30th May 2015, 05:13 PM

You were under a tarp!

Correct not in a tent I was outside

MudRunnerTD
30th May 2015, 05:21 PM
To be honest I scored a turbo pop up tent a couple of years ago before our last big show trip and I have to say that it sets up in 8 seconds and packs up in under a minute without pegging down and the swag rolls out or the air bed rolls out in it easily. It packs flat in the car and takes up less room and will likely become my preferred setup. Dunno??

Still giving a bit of thought of going back to the single swag and using the camp stretcher which I have never done before????

MudRunnerTD
30th May 2015, 05:21 PM
Which is exactly the bunker without the fly over it. Perfect in warmer times/areas...

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=58413&stc=1

These look like a good bit of kit!! Have you got a pic of one packed and bagged??

Rock Trol
30th May 2015, 06:21 PM
Have you thought of a 3 second tent like the speedy? Very quick. Can throw in mattress and sleeping bag.
More room than a swag and easier to dress/undress inside. I use a 3 man model as I am 6'4" and I can stretch right out. Lots of room for bag and clothes etc. Flat pack but 70cm diameter. Only 3kg in weight.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RKJ_0GMK_ZU

Or maybe an Oztent RV1? Pricey but its kind of swag size and has that huge awning. Would be quick to set up.

MudRunnerTD
30th May 2015, 07:24 PM
To be honest I scored a turbo pop up tent a couple of years ago before our last big show trip and I have to say that it sets up in 8 seconds and packs up in under a minute without pegging down and the swag rolls out or the air bed rolls out in it easily. It packs flat in the car and takes up less room and will likely become my preferred setup. Dunno??

Still giving a bit of thought of going back to the single swag and using the camp stretcher which I have never done before????

Have you thought of a 3 second tent like the speedy? Very quick. Can throw in mattress and sleeping bag.
More room than a swag and easier to dress/undress inside. I use a 3 man model as I am 6'4" and I can stretch right out. Lots of room for bag and clothes etc. Flat pack but 70cm diameter. Only 3kg in weight.

Or maybe an Oztent RV1? Pricey but its kind of swag size and has that huge awning. Would be quick to set up.

Yeah that is the same as the tent I have now. I like it allot!!!!!!!!

FNQGU
30th May 2015, 08:45 PM
I've been using swags since I was about 15 and I am sure we would all agree that swags ain't swags... A swag off the back of a trail bike isn't going to be anything like a swag used from the truck all the time. Look for features that you want and features that piss you off. Canvas quality is paramount and then when sleeping on the ground all the time, mattresses are the next big gripe. Most of the time we tend to find ourselves with a thicker mattress to compensate. Then it gets bulky...and heavier.

I previously also did not want tent poles and I wanted to be able to lay the swag out flat if I had to sleep in it indoors (like in the dog house!) without any canvas over the top. Not all swags will set up inside a house, or on a concrete floor, without pegs, poles etc. and a lot of my working time would mean regular indoor swagging at remote sites.

I also ended up packing a lightweight one man hiking tent for those occasions when either the mozzies were terrible, or the weather was terrible and it was going to rain. Not ideal either.

For me, the only real benefit of a swag these days is that your bedding can remain in the swag and it can be reasonably easily rolled out late at night (or when drunk). The downsides are many, and some swags are now HUGE and pack up time is a terrible fight.

Swags are only good for camping from a vehicle right? They are not something you hike ten k's into the scrub. That generally means throwing it on the roof rack and all is good. Now I am finding that I am trying to reduce weight and bulk and roof profile to save on fuel. My 'swagging' needs also started to move towards the point where I now find I want more comfort, but am not yet ready to 'retire' to a camper trailer....:-)

In that regard, I just went for the Jet Tent Bunker as well, and so far I am hugely impressed with it, other than the weight. It isn't light, but it packs up just a bit larger than a camp chair. I now normally throw a Thermarest in it, but it is also decent without anything added. I got the standard size (as opposed to the XL) and find it to be plenty wide and long. I am 6' and 95kg, and it serves me easily.

I still have my swag, which had all of the original features that I wanted and was top quality, but have not used it since. I also still have the little one man hiking tent for when I am really trying to save on space and weight, but in general, the Jet Tent is currently the 'do all' solution for what I do.

My future may however involve a light weight or scaled down to simple T-van, for the big trips.

My 2 cents...

Cuppa
30th May 2015, 08:46 PM
This sometimes doesn't cut it no matter how dry it is? Not having a dig Cuppa, but just saying, winter, in the high country for example, you will need all the warmth you can get, including maybe a cozy swag. Just for warmth purposes.

Fair enough if you must swag it during winter (I don’t any more - it’s an age thing I guess). In that respect my Saul swag (http://www.saulswags.com.au) is probably one of the warmest available because of it’s double layer of canvas on top. One of it’s major advantages is that it is warm enough without the need for a sleeping bag, but easy to use to keep cool when it’s hot. I have a wool blanket inside mine which I’ve wrapped around me when it’s been frosty/icy, but mostly it just sits on the mattress giving a bit of extra comfort. Have never used a sleeping bag inside it, & despite what I said previously it is preferable to a sleeping bag because it’s less restrictive but it is a lot bulkier than a sleeping bag though. The swags with hoops, poles, zips etc & designs like the Jet tent bunker are imho essentially small tents but without the advantage of space to store clothes, boots etc & with greater difficulty in getting dressed. Just expressing an opinion, not commenting upon other folk’s choices.

A good ’traditional’ swag (ie. a ‘pocket’ or ‘bedroll’) either inside a tent or under an awning/tarp makes sense for winter use as it is likely to be a warmer option than just a sleeping bag or a dome type swag, but the thought of heading out on a winter’s mountain trip with the aim of using a swag without some form of additional cover , to me, well, feels like pure masochism.

EDIT - And further to what FNQGU said, a swag is a great option for parties & the like when staying over at places where a living room or shed floor is the accomodation option ..... & provides a comfy seat during the ‘festivities’. It’s that long since I used mine I’d forgotten that particular advantage.

Bacho86
30th May 2015, 08:57 PM

X 2 on the pop up tent. I recently was just going through the same process. I wanted a smaller tent / swag for boys trips, but also something big enough that one of the kids could jump in.

Ended up buying a 3 man tent (which is really only just big enough for 2 mattresses), off eBay for $110 and it had only been used once. They are really easy to set up and pack up. Very happy with it so far

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

FNQGU
30th May 2015, 09:00 PM
For reference to size, here is the Jet Tent packed up (in the black bag) and compared to an Oz Tent chair and the MaxTrax.

http://i935.photobucket.com/albums/ad197/BenKDJ/P5300201_zpsafwv9uqz.jpg (http://s935.photobucket.com/user/BenKDJ/media/P5300201_zpsafwv9uqz.jpg.html)

http://i935.photobucket.com/albums/ad197/BenKDJ/P5300202_zpsxd6gtvmx.jpg (http://s935.photobucket.com/user/BenKDJ/media/P5300202_zpsxd6gtvmx.jpg.html)

I'm not convinced that the cover will withstand a lot of trips on the roof rack, but so far so good.

Softy
30th May 2015, 09:12 PM
What is the damage for a Jet Tent? for that sort of set up the pack up size is pretty good!

Hodge
30th May 2015, 09:38 PM
What is the damage for a Jet Tent? for that sort of set up the pack up size is pretty good!

This is the cheapest I have found.

https://www.snowys.com.au/products.aspx?key=bunker

MEGOMONSTER
30th May 2015, 09:48 PM
This is the cheapest I have found.

https://www.snowys.com.au/products.aspx?key=bunker

I have purchased so much camping gears and accessories from Snowy's.
Really cheap on nearly all items.

Softy
30th May 2015, 09:48 PM
Cheers...

Actually have a Snowy's about 2mins from my place!

DX grunt
31st May 2015, 10:35 AM
I just put mine on my 4wd self inflating mattress, gives me 15cm total mattress comfort............. mmmmmmmmmmmmm comfy

I just put mine on my high density foam, double bed matress and pod it. lol.

Clunk
31st May 2015, 10:43 AM
I just put mine on my high density foam, double bed matress and pod it. lol.
Well you've got to make sure that you're comfortable after a hard drive on the bitumen

DX grunt
31st May 2015, 10:54 AM
Well you've got to make sure that you're comfortable after a hard drive on the bitumen

Absolutely! After a day of driving through potholes, I need to look after my back. lol.

mudski
31st May 2015, 01:32 PM
The only issue I can see with a swag on a stretcher is the cold air getting underneath. I'd rather have my swag on the ground. My Darche Double that I bought nearly 20 years ago when Darche was made not far from here and I have just replaced the mattress with a self inflatable. Really comfy now. I have slept in mine in hard rain and was 100% dry in it. The only issue with a double swag is the size. It rolls up and its fairly big. But on our snow trip 2 years ago it was effing freezing outside and I slept in nothing but shorts and was warm as toast.

Hodge
31st May 2015, 02:28 PM
The only issue I can see with a swag on a stretcher is the cold air getting underneath.

This is the only issue with the bunker. In winter it is freezing as the sides do not seal so air gets in. This is why I got rid if mine.
I like it sealed and cozy.

Sprock
27th August 2017, 08:40 PM
To the best of my knowledge you should 'cure' any new swag - set it up & soak with the hose , let dry & repeat , 2-3 times , seals the canvas but more so the stitching / seams .

PeeBee
27th August 2017, 10:03 PM
I am on my 3rd swag, and its a darche 900 and sitting on a darche stretcher. I rang and spoke to darche about this combo before buying it as well. I went for the stretcher as its simply easier for me to get in and out of as opposed to fumbling around in the dirt. The deep tub floor works well, however the disadvantages remain in that the canvas/polyester sweats in hot or cold, but thats life unless you go the path of a 100% cotton canvas and I don't believe any of the swag manufacturers in Australia make on - happy to be corrected.

Regards comfort, in the stinking heat, open it up and its as cool or hot as sitting in a camp chair - you don't get any ventilation improvement being 500mm off the ground. In the cold, be it pelting down or snowing, unless you have a tarp strung up, you are going to get partially wet getting in and out - typical swag territory. Re the cold from below, well the open cell foam mats are never going to be a good insulator, so if I know I am going into the snow I simply throw a thermarest on top of the mattress and all is good. Two sleeping bags, one as a doona and toasty for the night. One disadvantage with the stretcher is accumulated snow that turns to water and ice under the swag, and saturates the stretch deck and is a bit of a mission to get off to fold it all up - happened again on this recent snow trip. Swag and stretcher packed up sopping wet, melted to water inside the car and spread the problem, then home for the dry out as normal. I think I have a good solution for myself, but I still need to string the overhead tarp to provide a sheltered spot to get in and out and stay dry. Didn't do it this trip due to a combination of physical location and laziness.

ps learning from this last snow trip - take your boots off and store them inside a plastic bag inside the swag. I left my Sorells outside and the moisture in the felt liner froze solid and next day was impossible to get both boots on - spent 4 hrs with unmatched boots, but next night, problem solved with the plastic bag trick and happy days.