PDA

View Full Version : What are the regs for owning a drone

threedogs
28th May 2015, 01:00 PM
Thinking of getting a Drone to experiment with some photography shots.
Can anyone buy a drone? I saw the piece on Lily, {my wifes' name lol]
Thats looked a bit up market, has anyone got one yet and what standard are the pictures
I see there are even drone race's
http://www.rpastraining.com.au/casr-101-uav-drone-legal-or-illegal

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Scout-X4-Quadcopter-12CH-DEVO-F12E-G3D-iLook-Camera-FPV-RTF-Drone-waypoint-/231353237441?pi=466130

BigRAWesty
28th May 2015, 01:22 PM
So yes you can own a drone. Simply buy it.
Is it legal?? That's still grey.
Casa still have a strict hold on autonomous aircraft, and even stricter on fpv stuff.

But they will never be able to enforce it so go nuts I say.
Just be sensible.
And be prepared for a lot of crashes. It's not as easy as they make it look.
Don't fly in crowded places. Actually don't fly around public. If you hit them, their car or their dog your in the shoit..

threedogs
28th May 2015, 02:11 PM
thanks so just common sense then, whats the go with taking a pic/movie just line it up and hope for the best.
Thinking of flying it out over the Murray and looking back at camp. way too many trees off roading

Avo
28th May 2015, 02:46 PM
should have told him to buy a sim first kallen....lol..,,easier to stuff up and get back on the horse....the most simplest rules are not to fly withing 10 metres of yourself and 30 metres to others..also you are not meant to fly within 5 km of an airport either..if your really interested in this sort of thing join another forum 3D..Kallen and I are part of ARCHELI and they have heaps to read up on just like this one mate.....you can spend anything from 100 bucks(my daughter fly's ) up to thousands for the pro's...DJ Phantom quads have a good name but they are pretty expensive..if your a tight bugger look at hobbyking for plug and play shit but be mindful and try and buy from Australian wharehouse..for warrenty reason alone.

Avo
28th May 2015, 02:57 PM
hey 3D found this,these are a good quality quad,later model are out now.....keep an eye out in rctrader.....they make good footage aswell.
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__52785__DJI_Phantom_2_With_2_4GHz_Radio_and_Intel ligent_Battery_Ready_To_Fly_.html
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ABDurdfHySU quick vid with some footage from a DJI..

lucus30
28th May 2015, 05:17 PM
Lily doesn't come out till next year. Though i'm still tempted to pre order one

BigRAWesty
28th May 2015, 08:43 PM
I'd hold off on lily IMO.
I think it's the sorta thing that'll get boring quick.
2 hour charge for 20 mins operation.
Give me something I can control lol.

As wa said figure out the budget. It'll really define how far you can go.
And a similar is a good move.
Phoenix is a top sim. Once purchased it's free upgrades for life.

lucus30
28th May 2015, 08:56 PM
I'm not too concerned about the 20 mins battery life. In my mind 40 minutes of footage a day ( i figure you'll charge it at least once a day) is heaps.
Editing hours of footage sucks IMHO

I also like the idea that I don't have to control it.

My concern is it actually as good at doing these things as they make out in the video

BigRAWesty
29th May 2015, 06:53 AM
That's true.
They've probably filmed 100's of hours to make that clip lol good... Lol

Maxhead
29th May 2015, 07:03 AM
I've got a $200 one from Kogan with a small little camera. It took me 34 seconds to learn to fly it...lol Really really easy

The more expensive ones have safety build into them so you can't crash them and some with the GPS build in will fly back to you at a press of a button "fly home" mode.

Get onto one TD :)

Rocket55
29th May 2015, 07:39 AM
I saw a clip on Lilly the other day, but it didn't mention anything about price (that generally means it could be pretty exy) does anyone know what they cost?

Rocket55
29th May 2015, 07:44 AM
hey 3D found this,these are a good quality quad,later model are out now.....keep an eye out in rctrader.....they make good footage aswell.
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__52785__DJI_Phantom_2_With_2_4GHz_Radio_and_Intel ligent_Battery_Ready_To_Fly_.html
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ABDurdfHySU quick vid with some footage from a DJI..

I nearly bought one of these a few weeks ago late one night. They looked like a reasonable value for money RTF thing for someone who knew nothing about building your own one up.

lucus30
29th May 2015, 08:54 AM
I saw a clip on Lilly the other day, but it didn't mention anything about price (that generally means it could be pretty exy) does anyone know what they cost?
Yeah mate on pre order until June 15th they are $550 incl shipping to aus. They don't ship until February. After the pre order period they go up to $1000 bucks

Rocket55
29th May 2015, 09:30 AM
Wow, that's a pretty good incentive to pre order if you were looking for that sort of thing.

doka404
29th May 2015, 09:37 AM
They are a lot of fun to flymand as mentioned the regs are a bit of a great area. I have a TBS Discovery Pro which is a brilliant quad copter. I bought the simulator with it so that you can practice flying it via your laptop and the RC unit.

The flight controller in it has all of the failsafes, fly home, geo-fence etc and quite stable even on windy days. Can even switch between the flight camera and the go-pro when flying to get different views if you want..

One thing to think about is if you by one of the rtf all-in-one drones and you like it, your pretty much starting again if you want to upgrade. Where if you buy a higher end, component based one (which in many cases you can get RTF), you can always update components (I.e video tx/rx, motors, props, flight controller, air frame etc) along the way if the bug bites.

Although these days I don't get time to fly it so its been sitting in its pelican case doing nothing lol probably time to sell it and put the money into the shorty turbo fund..just don't like to think of what its actually worth versus how much it cost me 😨

Patrol-Guy
10th August 2015, 08:04 PM
So just got home from a trip to Crowdy Head. Also happen to have a drone and here is some of the photos I took with it.

Maxhead
11th August 2015, 07:23 AM
So just got home from a trip to Crowdy Head. Also happen to have a drone and here is some of the photos I took with it.

Very cool, I need to get myself a decent one...The head doesn't look that crowdy...LOL

Hodge
11th August 2015, 07:27 AM
I'm starting to like drones more and more , specifically the photos and footage you can capture using them.
Just watched mates videos across cape York sites and it was awesome.

threedogs
11th August 2015, 02:41 PM
@ Hodge I think you could get some awesome pics.
I want one to fly out over the Murray and take a pic looking back at camp.
Or just to take your line right out [somehow}
Be great to follow someone up a track eh lol

Sir Roofy
11th August 2015, 04:14 PM
Very cool, I need to get myself a decent one...The head doesn't look that crowdy...LOL

Every time we go up there its pretty good

Patrol-Guy
11th August 2015, 09:43 PM
Here's one more. I took it out of beginner mode and took it to 60 meters. I'm happy with it.