PDA

View Full Version : Spare wheel carrier

Dr Gary
25th May 2015, 12:58 PM
Has anyone seen a fold down/fold up carrier that is a replacement for the original door mount?
I have seen plenty on utes with canopies, but the only wagon versions are swing out.
It seems to me that swinging the wheel up on a hinge is less heavy than lifting the wheel--and I am NOT young.

threedogs
25th May 2015, 01:38 PM
Its possible and more suited to 4x4 with a tailgate like you know who.lol
Even with a bearing pivot you will still need to lift a max of 45kg.
You might be better off making some kind of ramp to roll the wheel up to its position.
No lifting involved, just throwing it out there, been toying with this for years.

Dr Gary
26th May 2015, 09:02 AM
Its possible and more suited to 4x4 with a tailgate like you know who.lol
Even with a bearing pivot you will still need to lift a max of 45kg. but at least I would have some leverage
You might be better off making some kind of ramp to roll the wheel up to its position.
No lifting involved, just throwing it out there, been toying with this for years.

All good, but once you get it there, the tiny tab that is supposed to keep the wheel in place until the holes are lined up is WAY too small, so the wheel flops off just about when the holes are aligned.
My other solution is to extend and enlarge the "hook" so the wheel can be manipulated without losing it!!

threedogs
26th May 2015, 03:41 PM
What you could do is replace your wheel studs with wheel nuts like most other 4x4, not hard to do.
very easy to do, might even pay to remove the Wheel carrier off the door screw in the set bolts and tack weld one flat of the bolt on the back side of carrier.
You will need 3 x 12mm x1.25 pitch set bolts[all thread], zinc plated and about 60mm long, then buy the wheel nuts that suit your application
I've done that to mine ,but my spare is internal