PDA

View Full Version : Uniden or gme .....communications

Pete's GU3
23rd March 2011, 03:33 PM
Guys i am looking at the uniden or gme, compact or remote head ..i like the remote head unit .just wondering your opinion and also where to mount in the GU3.. i am favouring the uniden uho 15sx at the moment it also has a built in scanner , its going for $295 at prestige comm. looks a good buy and a 60db antenna for about $50.....

jaxt
23rd March 2011, 03:57 PM
6.0db you mean? that's a good buy though.
I've been told GME have it over the uniden for durability.
the tx3420 is worth a try. I have the tx3220 which has been good for my purposes.
Icom too have quality range.
try audioxtra too for uniden products.

the evil twin
23rd March 2011, 04:23 PM
Holden versus Ford debate in the main... the 015 is a good budget set as is the 3420 rival... BUT... they are 40 Channel sets and the first of the 80 Channel sets is now out there from manufacturers.

Personally I wouldn't buy a 40 channel set for more than $150 - $200 as they are all now heading for obsolescence with the 80 Channel spectrum so they will be giving them away soon.

If I was buying a new Uniden I would go for the 7760 bundle at $378... http://www.prestigecom.net.au/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=376&products_id=2590

for the extra $30 over your 015 with an Antenna you get
An 80 Channel (77 due to repeater freq's) Radio
A remote control mic which is waay better IMHO as you can stick the TxRx Unit anywhere IE behind the dash on top of the tunnel
and the GME AE4012 antenna which I rate higher than the Uniden antenna's

If you want to go GME then the 3440 bundle (80 Channel and remote mic) with a poorer antenna is $405 but Prestige might upgrade the antenna for a few extra $
http://www.prestigecom.net.au/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=375&products_id=1537

IMHO the Uniden package is prob the better value for money purely because of the better Antenna but not much in it...

nowoolies
23rd March 2011, 04:28 PM
GME unit fits in behind the concil
and the hand set goes on the bottom plate on the dash
outta the way there
thats how mine is anyways

Pete's GU3
23rd March 2011, 05:11 PM
Thanks guys good feedback so far , evil twin , good point about the new 80 channel units i also like the 2 units you mentioned i like the mic with all the controls on it, allows you to put the unit out of the way , under the dash maybe
, i guess i need to factor in about $150 for installation ?.

the evil twin
23rd March 2011, 05:32 PM
Thanks guys good feedback so far , evil twin , good point about the new 80 channel units i also like the 2 units you mentioned i like the mic with all the controls on it, allows you to put the unit out of the way , under the dash maybe
, i guess i need to factor in about $150 for installation ?.

Mate, one of my current sets is a GME 3420 with the remote mic and I reckon that style of radio is the ducks guts for sedans, wagons et al... it's all right there for you without the bulk of the full set or remote Head and you still need to mount the mic anyway.

Install costs... I would factor in zero $.

The power you can get from almost anywhere (ciggy lighter for example) as the radio only uses a couple of amps and that only when transmitting.

The Antenna lead should be able to be easily routed thru an existing grommet on the firewall and is pre-terminated.

The mic holder will be two small self tappers or similar.

To mount the radio you can use a lot of different methods. If under the dash on the tunnel even velcro will work.

If you did need it done professionally then try a few places as the quotes will prob differ substantially.

Silver
23rd March 2011, 05:42 PM
there are also ICOM and commercial units that someone has reprogrammed. A 'problem' with the latter is that they can be 25watts rather than 5...... or so I have been led to believe.

I make do with an ICOM handheld, and a few cheapy handhelds for convoy chat and recoveries.

My GQ came with a 27 meg and a UHF in the overhead console, but whoever wired it up may have committed a bit of a sin because red warning lights on the dash come on while transmitting when the engine is running, and no signal gets out. OK to listen though.

GUte
23rd March 2011, 06:11 PM
I went with ICOM which the military use, the IC440 has the remote head and its awesome, hides under my console and I tuck the hand piece under my seat when not in use. One less item for unwanted eyes to see

the evil twin
23rd March 2011, 06:32 PM
I went with ICOM which the military use, the IC440 has the remote head and its awesome, hides under my console and I tuck the hand piece under my seat when not in use. One less item for unwanted eyes to see

The military ( and state/fed gov'ts) use a bit of everything above the budget level sets IE you will find, Kenwood, Tait, Qmac, Barret, Icom, Motorola etc etc.

ICOM's are next level up the food chain from GME, Uniden and therefore a bit dearer again.

Icom 440 is a 40 Channel and cannot be soft reproggy'd for the 80 Channel spectrum (which is a goddam shame)... Icom 400's can but are not a remote mic controller Set. The 400's have been around for years which speaks volumes for their longevity and are my absolute fav of the bunch

Silver
24th March 2011, 01:19 AM
yairs, my ICOM handheld is 440s. indications are that it cannot be reprogrammed. Probably. Bit hard to get a definitive answer so will go to where I bought it as they are pretty switched on.

Then again, everyone I know has 40 channels. I contacted ACMA and asked about compensation. Not interested. So I plan to keep on using 40 ch until it or I die :-) I can remember the big exercises to hunt down unlicensed 27 megs - that didn't work either. It would be great if they got the traffic controllers and other commercial users onto a commercial channel without #$#@#$# about with the rest of us. There must be some space in the old TV frequencies coming up soon. Then again our pollies have probably already sold that off in some 'mates deal' It would also be great if they put some effort into cleaning up the grubs who abuse UHF. I can't see either happening. Just the usual 'we've made up our mind, oh yes, we need to run a consultation process now' B.S.

Seems I'm a bit grumpy tonight. :-)

the evil twin
24th March 2011, 02:53 AM
No need to hunt anyone down with the new freq's or any need for compensation... the sets will work in tandem IE channels 1 to 40 both will communicate to each other and the Repeaters... channels 41 to 80 the old sets won't hear or be able to transmit on unless they are ICOM 400's, Taits, Motorola's or the like which are essentially commercial spec.

You can keep using your 40 channels set for ages. All I am suggesting is IF someone is buying a new set then for the sake of an extra few dollars it is better to get an 80 Channel set so I would buy a 400 Pro but not a 440.

I don't mind the Traffic boys on 40, gives you a heads up. Totally agree about commercial wankers such as mine sites, warehouses etc tho. Pay a couple of dollars for a licence ya wankers and get the hell off the public spectrum