PDA

View Full Version : Coonara motor rattle when hot

AB
23rd May 2015, 07:39 PM
Another quality patrol question which may be directed to stropp ;)

My coonara blowers start to rattle only when the fire starts to get hot.

I've cleaned the motors and fins out but no joy.

I have noticed that the springs holding the motors in place are rusty and the motors sit very close to the ground.

The only way to stop the sound is by levering the coonara up higher with the poker...lol

I think I'm answering my own question asking this but I'm assuming the springs are getting old and once they get hot, expand, drops motors down and they rattle on the ground?

Am I on the right track, is this a common problem or is there other reasons I can't see why this rattle occurs only when coonara gets hot?

Maxhead
23rd May 2015, 07:47 PM
Mate, I put up with a kind of a vibration noise occasionally..no idea where it comes from but all I do is kick the farkinfg fireplace and it goes away for a while

TPC
23rd May 2015, 07:48 PM
My Coonara used to rattle and it was the top plate as it did not touch in all corners, the gap in one corner was the width of two 20c pieces so it cost me 40c to fix it.

AB
23rd May 2015, 07:52 PM
Mate, I put up with a kind of a vibration noise occasionally..no idea where it comes from but all I do is kick the farkinfg fireplace and it goes away for a while this isn't a kind of vibration though it's loud as hell and the only way to stop it is slowest fan setting and lever up the unit with the poker and rest poker on a log.

AB
23rd May 2015, 07:53 PM
My Coonara used to rattle and it was the top plate as it did not touch in all corners, the gap in one corner was the width of two 20c pieces so it cost me 40c to fix it. definitely underneath and definitely motors rattling.

I'm 99% sure motors rubbing around on ground and side plates.

AB
23rd May 2015, 07:59 PM
Living the dream ;)

Maxhead
23rd May 2015, 08:03 PM
Is the noise different when cold or hot?

NissanGQ4.2
23rd May 2015, 08:03 PM
Don't know about the Coonara's but my fire place has similar issues. With mine the fan is screwed to the bottom plate and there was originally some type of rubber between the mounts and the plate but a few had perished

AB
23rd May 2015, 08:05 PM
Is the noise different when cold or hot? no noise when cold, only starts up when coonara gets hot.

Like when kindling is burnt, a few bigger logs ontop start to die down and it gets hot then all of a sudden...bang bang bang

AB
23rd May 2015, 08:07 PM
Don't know about the Coonara's but my fire place has similar issues. With mine the fan is screwed to the bottom plate and there was originally some type of rubber between the mounts and the plate but a few had perished my fans are held in the bottom plate by springs.

Could very well have perished rubbers under plate though and when springs get hot they sag and hit ground.

Maxhead
23rd May 2015, 08:08 PM
Obviously when metal is hot it expands...is it possible for you to watch the fan????

MudRunnerTD
23rd May 2015, 08:08 PM
Mine make a noise like a rush of air coming out of the floor...... Wait a minute? It just stopped? Must mean the Gas ducted heating has the house at a comfortable 22degrees.

AB
23rd May 2015, 08:12 PM
Obviously when metal is hot it expands...is it possible for you to watch the fan???? I pulled it all out and had it running cold and it was very close to the ground. I'm pretty sure it's old saggy springs and when hot it sags more and the rattle is motors on ground.

AB
23rd May 2015, 08:13 PM
Mine make a noise like a rush of air coming out of the floor...... Wait a minute? It just stopped? Must mean the Gas ducted heating has the house at a comfortable 22degrees. Remind me to shove dead rabbits down your vents when I come down next ;)

Winnie
23rd May 2015, 08:29 PM
I have the same heater Andy, except mine is free standing. It rattles too and I put up with it... Lmao

Maxhead
23rd May 2015, 08:33 PM
Mine make a noise like a rush of air coming out of the floor...... Wait a minute? It just stopped? Must mean the Gas ducted heating has the house at a comfortable 22degrees.

Ohh hold on, mine takes a little time to load the wood but the overall cost is $0 and the poor sucker using gas having to pay around $500 a quarter to keep warm...who's on the winner...lol

AB
23rd May 2015, 08:34 PM
I have the same heater Andy, except mine is free standing. It rattles too and I put up with it... Lmao nah this rattle is not to be out up with.

It sounds like throwing a 100mm square dice across a wooden floor.

AB
23rd May 2015, 08:35 PM
Anyways I have wood...lol

Yes krisso, dry this time ;)

MudRunnerTD
23rd May 2015, 08:43 PM
Ohh hold on, mine takes a little time to load the wood but the overall cost is $0 and the poor sucker using gas having to pay around $500 a quarter to keep warm...who's on the winner...lol

Yeah bring that up....

Winnie
23rd May 2015, 08:45 PM
Bull crap Kris... What about fuel for the chainsaw? Probably $20 a quarter! Wow Omg!

Maxhead
23rd May 2015, 08:46 PM

Far out mate! you need to walk around to the smoking table...lol

Maxhead
23rd May 2015, 08:47 PM
Bull crap Kris... What about fuel for the chainsaw? Probably $20 a quarter! Wow Omg!

Yeah, shit I forgot that mate...and the juice and oil for about ten bucks..lol\

NissanGQ4.2
23rd May 2015, 09:23 PM
Obviously when metal is hot it expands...is it possible for you to watch the fan????

My fan also hit the side of the hole which made a terrible racket

AB
23rd May 2015, 09:24 PM
Far out mate! you need to walk around to the smoking table...lol I keep tripping over it in the dark...lol

NissanGQ4.2
23rd May 2015, 09:32 PM

Is that stacked against the house AB?

AB
23rd May 2015, 09:49 PM
Is that stacked against the house AB? why do you ask?

NissanGQ4.2
23rd May 2015, 10:07 PM
why do you ask?

White ants / Termites whatever 1 wants 2 cal them, you run a higher risk of getting them in the house if u stack it against the house

jack
23rd May 2015, 10:11 PM
Well what timing, I have a heater question. Son has an open plan house and the central heating costs are killing him. He's decided to put in a free standing wood heater.
What (affordable) brand to you recommend?

AB
23rd May 2015, 10:11 PM
White ants / Termites whatever 1 wants 2 cal them, you run a higher risk of getting them in the house if u stack it against the house all good Toddy, I'm very well aware of all that Spock . ;)

AB
23rd May 2015, 10:12 PM
Well what timing, I have a heater question. Son has an open plan house and the central heating costs are killing him. He's decided to put in a free standing wood heater. What (affordable) brand to you recommend? one that doesn't rattle ;)

NissanGQ4.2
23rd May 2015, 10:23 PM
Well what timing, I have a heater question. Son has an open plan house and the central heating costs are killing him. He's decided to put in a free standing wood heater.

Any brand that Stropp can sell him

Will he be sourcing the timber himself or paying for it?

jack
23rd May 2015, 10:25 PM
Any brand that Stropp can sell him

Will he be sourcing the timber himself or paying for it?

Sourcing it himself, it's free down here in Vic and we have plenty of locations.

NissanGQ4.2
23rd May 2015, 10:31 PM
Sourcing it himself, it's free down here in Vic and we have plenty of locations.

I wish we had legal locations around here! I've gotta move 2 VIC

Winnie
23rd May 2015, 10:49 PM
I wish we had legal locations around here! I've gotta move 2 VIC
How do you get wood in nsw?

Stropp
23rd May 2015, 11:09 PM

Hey mate lots of good brands but coonara, eureka, settler all made in Victoria, or a Saxon Blackwood or rosewood, great heater with 8 mm steel firebox no bricks and 10 mm baffle plate, get one way bigger then you need and you can run it on low fan and air and have no problem heating the place, do not buy cheap Chinese shit from Bunnings or masters. I have 80 sqmtr living and have a 250 sqmtr heater, warm as toast 😅

NissanGQ4.2
23rd May 2015, 11:10 PM
How do you get wood in nsw?

Most people buy it....

I've been lucky enough over the years to get my hands on neighbors / friendsd tree's that have already been cut down.

There is only a few place that I know of where you can legally cut would and you have to buy a permit and think the most you can take is 3tonne.

You can take the risk but the fine's not worth it and the blue mountains is full of tree luggin hippies what will dob you in once you start a chainsaw

Stropp
23rd May 2015, 11:13 PM
Another quality patrol question which may be directed to stropp ;)

My coonara blowers start to rattle only when the fire starts to get hot.

I've cleaned the motors and fins out but no joy.

I have noticed that the springs holding the motors in place are rusty and the motors sit very close to the ground.

The only way to stop the sound is by levering the coonara up higher with the poker...lol

I think I'm answering my own question asking this but I'm assuming the springs are getting old and once they get hot, expand, drops motors down and they rattle on the ground?

Am I on the right track, is this a common problem or is there other reasons I can't see why this rattle occurs only when coonara gets hot?

AB not sure of the problem but certainly won't hurt to chuck a bit of rubber strip under it to stop the rattle or change those springs to eliminate them but if you are running the fan on anything more than low it takes very little movement on the shaft in the bearings to make it rattle.

AB
24th May 2015, 12:05 PM
Just found my new toy for splitting wood ;)

http://video.directindustry.com/video_di/videos/horizontal-log-splitter-119680.mp4

Winnie
24th May 2015, 01:01 PM
Just found my new toy for splitting wood ;)

http://video.directindustry.com/video_di/videos/horizontal-log-splitter-119680.mp4
They're awesome mate... Split all day and no sore back

AB
4th June 2015, 06:57 PM
I know you are all dying to know the outcome...lol

I pulled the bottom screws out of the tray to slide the tray out and the sounds gone!

Noticed the screw holes don't line up by a mm so maybe it was forcing it down.

Happy days!

Fan 3 blasting hot air and in my jocks, living the dream!!!

Bloodyaussie
4th June 2015, 07:00 PM
You idiot.... thanks for planting that image in my head

Stropp
4th June 2015, 07:16 PM
You idiot.... thanks for planting that image in my head

not a pleasant thought :)

Winnie
4th June 2015, 07:31 PM
I know you are all dying to know the outcome...lol

I pulled the bottom screws out of the tray to slide the tray out and the sounds gone!

Noticed the screw holes don't line up by a mm so maybe it was forcing it down.

Happy days!

Fan 3 blasting hot air and in my jocks, living the dream!!!
I am with you there... Just been playing with the car our in the cold for the last hour and come inside and the house is nice and toasty.... Oh yeah!