PDA

View Full Version : TD42 low power high fuel useage

KNN
23rd May 2015, 11:23 AM
Hi guys
I have TD42 2000 model it is low on power and uses a LOT of fuel it gets about 16L per 100K highway use and worse around town, it has 330K on the clock starts easy doesn't blow black smoke has new fuel filter and air cleaner and has a stock exhaust . I have put some fuel treatment in and it did improve slightly. It is a gear to 2 gears slower on the hills around my place than the wife's stock 80 series. It has pretty good low down power upto about 2000 rpm over that its like a petrol engine wife the timing retarded. I am thinking pump timing any other ideas before I take it to the diesel man.

Keith

MudRunnerTD
23rd May 2015, 11:37 AM
Hi kieth, is it a turbo?

Chimo
23rd May 2015, 12:37 PM
PM sent,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

KNN
23rd May 2015, 01:16 PM
I have forgotten about the precleaner so I need to check (throw away) that,, and yes no turbo

Keith

KNN
26th May 2015, 03:56 PM
Ok precleaner is not there so it can't be that, what have noticed on closer inspection is that sometime in the past someone has replaced the fuel filter pump body with an after market pump this has inlets and outlets that are under 1/4 inch I mean really small, I am thinking this is the culprit as the standard housing has 3/8 (10mm) in and out. I will try and source a housing with larger in and out. If not I will putt a fuel maximizer housing and a electric pump at the tank, I have a carter hi flo unit just sitting here taking up space and the fuel maximizer setup is a good one.
I will let you know how I go.

Keith