PDA

View Full Version : Dilemma - 1990 GQ original shocks!

CaptainNewman
20th May 2015, 04:40 PM
Hi all,

I have a bit of a dilemma for my 1990 RB30 GQ with 315,000km on the clock. One of the rear Polyair bags has sprung a leak (the material has perished at the base). Suspension set-up is currently old but in decent working condition (previously used to tow a small camper trailer):

2" lift springs all round (RED - pedders? some flaky surface rust). AGE: 7 years? Don't seem TOO saggy...
FRONT: aftermarket shockers (unknown brand, yellow) AGE: 7 years?
REAR: Polyair bags with black shockers (Nissan brand markings - surely not OE?). AGE: 25 years?!

Anyway, with a limited budget... what is my best bet? I don't tow anything; just camp as a family of 5 (plus all that gear and water), and car has a 145lt Long range tank. So need something to take a full GVM load, but not towing...

1. Just replace the air bags ($240 for 2 - might as well do both)
OR
2. Ditch the airbags altogether and buy new heavy-duty springs ($250?)

Also, I find it hard to believe that the rear are the original 25 year old shocks, as the car handles well and stops bouncing quickly after the "jump on a corner" test (with airbags empty). Is it worth replacing these just to be sure or is there another way to tell if they're shagged... ?

Many thanks in advance,
Chris

threedogs
20th May 2015, 05:50 PM
I would be putting heavier springs in the back for towing,
using airbags is just something else to go wrong,
You onle want a slight down hill look

MudRunnerTD
20th May 2015, 06:27 PM
To be honest mate I would be reviewing the suspension and fitting a new 2" kit front and rear with fresh springs and shocks. You think it's OK but a fresh kit will transform the car.

Using airbags as the primary dampening is terrible option. They really are designed as a flexible option when towing allowing you to run lighter springs the rest of the time.

It sounds like the previous owner just did dribs and drabs mate and may even have fitted second hand Speings back then even. A new kit will be awesome. Even a cheap kit will make a difference. Buy the best you can afford though. This will carry your family into the next decade.

Clunk
20th May 2015, 06:47 PM
^^^^^^^^ what he said

Patrol'n
20th May 2015, 09:11 PM
Yep I'd vote for the new springs and shocks, cost a bit but wow, the difference in my truck (RB30 with 330,000 k's), with the new springs and shocks vs the original springs and shocks was unbelievable. If you can scrounge the coin that's what I'd go for!

Punderhead
22nd May 2015, 07:35 PM
Mate, a decent 2" lift kit is just springs and shocks, won't cost you an arm and a leg, and makes a huge difference to the ride. I'm gunna jump on the new kit solution with everyone else.

Cheers

GQ TANK
25th May 2015, 06:31 AM
The replacment springs and shocks is a good idea.

I have had a few vehicles running poly airs, they help with the ride but should not be the primary shock relief.

Have you pulled the faulty air bag, as whn mine have failed it has been due to the hose being damaged or seperating from the bag.

Also if the bag is faulty - you might be able to obtain a replacement from poly air - they do sell bits.

CaptainNewman
25th May 2015, 10:45 AM
Thanks everyone! Yep I reckon I'll just sit tight, pump up that slow leaky airbag every second day, and save for a new set of springs and shockers! If I pull the airbag kit I think there's another cost of rear bump stops (removed to fit airbags), but hopefully can pick these up from the wreckers a bit cheaper ! Cheers again :)

CaptainNewman
11th November 2015, 02:51 PM
UPDATE:
They were the original shocks in the back - and they were STUFFED! New shocks made big difference to handling!

Replaced June 2015 with KYB Skorched 4's. Can't argue with a 3 year warranty, and handled corrugations on a recent big trip fine. $280

Ended up replacing rear springs (September 2015) with King Springs (300kg Constant Load P/R). Told by the King Springs tech consultant that the KYBs are well suited to the springs. Car sits great now. Lifetime warranty - bloody oath! $240

threedogs
11th November 2015, 04:13 PM
great news bet it rides nice now

the evil twin
11th November 2015, 05:29 PM
Thanks for the update, Cap'n.

Sooo many people don't bother coming back and that pisses me off.
A post like yours helps everyone from now onwards as there is feedback on what caused and/or what did/didn't fix an issue