PDA

View Full Version : Exhaust manifold gasket for TB turbo

jff45
19th May 2015, 04:13 PM
I'm trying to find what gasket is best for a TB turbo installation.

My research seems to show that the TD42T exhaust ports are much smaller than the TB engines although the stud pattern is identical.

Can anyone who has done a TB42 or TB45 turbo install help me here?

billyj
19th May 2015, 04:28 PM
ports are the same as the manifolds interchange, that said ive been running a std permaseal brand tb42 exhaust gasket in my turbo tb42e for over 18 months now with no issue

jff45
19th May 2015, 05:39 PM
The manifolds interchange because the stud patterns are identical but the TD42T ports are visibly smaller.
The images of the exhaust manifold gaskets on the ATOC site clearly show the smaller port for the turbo model TD42.
Images I checked on Google also show the much smaller port on the TD42T.

I have found the Permaseal part No but can't find an image that shows they match a TB engine.

nissannewby
19th May 2015, 06:19 PM
Td42 ones are bigger than the td42t ones. I have a part number for the ones i use which are a touch bigger than the ports on a dts manifold for the td42.

Or no gasket and use some copper sealant.

jff45
19th May 2015, 06:45 PM
Cheers Matt, I was thinking good multi layer gasket + copper sealant :).

So obviously the original TD42T gaskets would have created a restriction on the TB45E.

I'll try to get correct measurements so I don't make a mistake.

nissannewby
19th May 2015, 06:55 PM
Permaseal MG0006. They arent a multilayer type but have used them on a few turbo setups now with the dts manifolds.

jff45
19th May 2015, 07:19 PM
Permaseal MG0006. They arent a multilayer type but have used them on a few turbo setups now with the dts manifolds.

Ok, I'll go for that.
billyj mentioned he also used a Permaseal on his TB42

I ordered the turbo studs from Partsouq. I used the GU turbo part no. so I'll see what turns up.

nissannewby
19th May 2015, 09:03 PM
I have some of those studs here if you want measurements?

Sorry i have the manifold studs. I might have some old turbo ones floating around.

jff45
19th May 2015, 11:40 PM
Sorry Matt I wasn't too clear. I meant to say I ordered the GU turbo manifold studs and nuts. Apparently they're different to standard studs.
I'm pretty sure I could use my original studs that I changed when I fitted my extractors but I've ordered the new turbo ones now.

billyj
20th May 2015, 07:51 PM
id never noticed the td ports being smaller, but now i know next time i have my manifold off ill be making sure that it isnt blocking any of the tb ports. guess ill have get my stroker ute running so i can fix pull the turbo and fix my major boost creep issues

jff45
21st May 2015, 04:16 PM
Sorry Matt I wasn't too clear. I meant to say I ordered the GU turbo manifold studs and nuts. Apparently they're different to standard studs.
I'm pretty sure I could use my original studs that I changed when I fitted my extractors but I've ordered the new turbo ones now.

Wasted my money, the TD turbo manifold studs are M10 x 1.50 and the TB45 studs are M10 x 1.25 on the head end.
Oh well, at least the nuts are good.

billyj
21st May 2015, 04:54 PM
std studs should be fine, what manifold and turbo are you going to be running?

jff45
21st May 2015, 05:27 PM
std studs should be fine, what manifold and turbo are you going to be running?

I did a thread with loads of pics. Manifold is steampipe on 12 mm flange.

nissannewby
21st May 2015, 09:56 PM
Wasted my money, the TD turbo manifold studs are M10 x 1.50 and the TB45 studs are M10 x 1.25 on the head end.
Oh well, at least the nuts are good.

I will take them off your hands if you like :p

jff45
22nd May 2015, 01:56 PM
I will take them off your hands if you like :p

It wasn't much money so I don't need to pass them on. Who knows, maybe I'll dump the 4.5 one day and fit a 4.2 :)