PDA

View Full Version : Blown ZD 30

Burto
18th May 2015, 05:24 PM
Hi there, well it looks like the fuse finally went off, running with miss, lots of smoke, no rattles thank heavens. Question do you really have to remove the transmission in order to remove the upper sump ??. If so seems like a huge backward step in engine design.

Looking to do a in chassis rebuild, don't really want to remove the engine or the tranny if this can be avoided.

Thanks in anticipation
Burto

Hodge
18th May 2015, 07:11 PM
As far as I know mate, there is bolts that hold the sump in, which can only be undone when gearbox is out. And there is no way from avoiding it, as far as I've been told.

Hodge
18th May 2015, 07:25 PM
http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=58111&stc=1

Burto
18th May 2015, 07:36 PM
Thanks for your reply, Hodge much appreciated. Looks like Nissan has struck again, probably the only motor in the world that requires the gearbox to be removed to repair a leaking sump for example.
Can understand why however, with an alloy sump the extra bolts are required to prevent flexing of the unit and subsequent leakage/breakage still a crap design.

Thanks muchly for the illustration, now will look at removing the engine and a bench/stand rebuild.

Burto

Hodge
18th May 2015, 07:37 PM
No worries mate. I am in the same boat as I need the gear box and maybe engine out for a coolant leak at timing cover which needs, sump removed.
That photo is one I saved somewhere a while back, so don't know how "exact" it is in terms of which bolts etc...