PDA

View Full Version : GU turns to the right under Acceleration. What could this be ?

pedals
18th May 2015, 10:45 AM
Hello,

This is my first Tech question post, so go easy on me, hah.

Just bought a 99 GU 4.5 Petrol, loving it, loving the thought of pimping it out a bit too, however I need to address a few things as it's second hand. It looks as though its been owned by an old couple who towed a van, not taken off road.

When I accelerate from crawling it turns slightly to the right. this doesn't effect the driving in any way I can notice and I only picked it up a week after I bought it.

I always work on my own vehicles so I'd like to address this myself, any tips in where to look or fault finding tests?

Much appreciated.

Pedals.

MEGOMONSTER
18th May 2015, 11:13 AM
Not that I can help any, but obviously start would be checking all components for loose nuts or bolts.

threedogs
18th May 2015, 11:34 AM
First I'd be checking tyre pressures 35 psi for all four should be a good starting point

4bye4
18th May 2015, 11:53 AM
What TD said, but also check that all tyres match on axels. Hasn't got a worn tyre on one side and new near new on the other side of the same axel. Check that they are the same tyre size as well.

Figjam
18th May 2015, 12:25 PM
All of the above to check.
Under hard acceleration you may just be experiencing some torque steer as the chassis twists

threedogs
18th May 2015, 01:02 PM
All of the above to check.
Under hard acceleration you may just be experiencing some torque steer as the chassis twists

I used to love that on my 350 chev 4x4 2nd to third hang on lol

BillsGU
18th May 2015, 10:26 PM
Have a look at your control arm bushes.

pedals
21st May 2015, 09:59 AM
The control arm bushes are caput.

So I've ordered a new set of HD arms from Roadrunner. all good.

But I also notices the mount for the left side front looks slightly crooked. like the arm comes into the bracket on a slight angle. Is this normal ?:confused:
I measured the tire position to the body and the tyres are in the middle. All the other rods seem to be aligned with the brackets and central.

As an ex mechanical fitter this looks weird to me. Like it will load up the front bush constantly.

Anybody seen this before ?

4bye4
21st May 2015, 10:06 AM
The control arm bushes are caput.

So I've ordered a new set of HD arms from Roadrunner. all good.

But I also notices the mount for the left side front looks slightly crooked. like the arm comes into the bracket on a slight angle. Is this normal ?:confused:
I measured the tire position to the body and the tyres are in the middle. All the other rods seem to be aligned with the brackets and central.

As an ex mechanical fitter this looks weird to me. Like it will load up the front bush constantly.

Anybody seen this before ?

Can you put up a pic mate?

Bloodyaussie
21st May 2015, 10:06 AM
Mate I was going to say after my recent experience with my panhard bush flogging out on the front upper the car would steer to the right or left depending on the camber of the road..

Nice you have it sorted.

threedogs
21st May 2015, 11:13 AM
With your background,,, if it looks wrong chances are it is.
post a pic to confirm your thoughts

pedals
31st May 2015, 09:46 AM
Just to close this off, trailing arms arrived, fitted them on the ramps without a drama, the ends are joined at a slight angle, this makes sense now. Bolts were FT though but it was a good excuse to buy a long breaker bar and swear a lot. She handles way better now. thanks for all the feedback, this forum rocks.

Pedals.