PDA

View Full Version : gq brakes not releasing

kwdmtm
17th May 2015, 02:18 PM
Have a gq patrol with right hand front caliper dragging and causing pad and hub to get hot.
driving locally appears ok but on expressway gets quite hot.
have replaced master cylinder new , replaced calipers fully reconditioned, have replaced hydrolic hoses all the flexible ones , seems odd only d/s/f .
brakes work ok.
car has 3 inch lift with proportioning valve bracket to suit.
any ideas?

threedogs
17th May 2015, 02:21 PM
did you do the left hand front?

kwdmtm
17th May 2015, 02:34 PM
Yep have done all driving me insane..

threedogs
17th May 2015, 03:41 PM
When you lubed the piston did it move in and out smoothly

kwdmtm
17th May 2015, 04:00 PM
Purchased from patrolapart ,calipers like new ...slides were easy and smooth to operate and you could push pistons in with your hands very good o/haul but this problem has been there before i replaced the calipers thinking they were the problem.
l

threedogs
17th May 2015, 04:12 PM
do you think you may have a crimped line somewhere, stopping the fluid from returning

kwdmtm
17th May 2015, 04:56 PM
No as i can get a really good flow when bleeding ,none of it makes sense the supply line comes from the m/cyl to a distribution block ,front to rear the front goes directly to the rubber hydrolic line which is new then to the drivers and passenger side calipers, not rocket science, i'm stumped.
The only thing I can think of is the drivers supply is the shortest side so it is more suseptable if there is some form of blockeage but it would be a blockeage in one direction only. GEEE don't know So frustrating.

threedogs
17th May 2015, 06:49 PM
just throwing it out there but is the pedal returning freely ?

kwdmtm
17th May 2015, 06:56 PM
Yeah got the measurements from manual and its pretty damn close it gives a measurement also at the brake switch of .3 to 1mm and its good you can actually look at pedal pushrod and see free play before booster piston starts to move so it would suggest a clearance.

And thaks any suggestions are worth a thought at the moment ☺

threedogs
17th May 2015, 07:04 PM
Im snookered can only think a crimped hose or linkages binding up.
I think as everything is new or newish is pull it all apart and re assemble it'
its all I have.

EDIT no the wheel bearing on that side is it

kwdmtm
17th May 2015, 09:06 PM
To be honest haven't check Wheel bearing but they have no movement ,thank anyway threedogs will give it a go.

threedogs
19th May 2015, 02:51 PM
Bumped any up date.???

kwdmtm
25th May 2015, 07:14 PM
Lack of time at the moment will let you know,thanks mate

kwdmtm
30th May 2015, 03:13 PM
Looks like I've worked it out maybe slackness on my behalf / over sight....
the brake pad backing shim has deformed , bowed and when piston pushes out it deforms more and when brake released the shim binds up in the upper and lower caliper mount and not allowing it to fully release.
I would never have thought such a skinny piece of tin would have such a gret effect,go figger.

nicksamaniac
1st June 2015, 09:56 AM
Good to see you have a result.
Out of curiosity? Was it noticeably dragging and pulling the steering etc or was it just causing it to get hot at speed?

kwdmtm
6th June 2015, 10:15 PM
Getting hot at speed heat was also transfered to the hubs and you could eventually start to smell the brakes.

kwdmtm
6th June 2015, 11:00 PM

Pic of brake pad shim