PDA

View Full Version : RD28 failure

Sharky1
12th May 2015, 12:58 AM
I have to post this just to find out if something similar has happened to anyone else.

A friends RD28 has been sitting in my front yard for 3mths with what we thought was a blown turbo & seized motor. The story goes that he was away for the weekend & the oil light came on, motor got instantly noisy & he shut it down & pulled over. The dip stick read empty so he filled it up immediately & proceeded to drive. About a km up the rd the same thing happened expect this time something went bang & all the oil dropped onto the rd.

By the time I got to see the car, the turbo was covered in oil. I've never liked the turbo as it wasnt standard & seemed to produce way too much power than what it should. The crank case had been recently pressurising causing the rocker cover gasket to keep blowing. Why he drove the car 700km from Perth to Esperance with it like that I dont know. I told him to put a boost guage, pyro gauge & oil pressure gauge on it ages ago.

Anyhoo so we've been debating whether to rebuild or replace this motor. My opinion was to pull it out, strip it & see hwta it looks like 1st. Well he finally came around & removed a few external components on the weekend. In the process of this we discovered a nice chunk of engine block missing with what looks like a hydraulic lifter sticking out of it, right behind where the a/c compressor bracket bolts on. I haven't removed the a/c compressor yet so I can't see too much or get pics but I will soon.

I'm just curious to know whether anything like this has happened to you or anyone you know?

P.S. All I can say is that this is precisely why I will only have a TD42.