PDA

View Full Version : 3L Oil Leak

Shaun blank
10th May 2015, 07:32 PM
Just got back from a road trip today, noticed engine oil dripping off the engine, from what i can see the block is wet up behind the alternator
Any ideas where the oil could be coming from?
thanks
Shaun
2003 3.0L

Sir Roofy
10th May 2015, 09:17 PM
Did you crawl under neath it could be the harmonic balance seal

dom14
11th May 2015, 02:55 PM
It's best to spray some degreaser and hose it off.
You will be able to clearly see where it's leaking from after that.

threedogs
11th May 2015, 02:59 PM
Do you have a catch can fitted

4bye4
11th May 2015, 04:19 PM
Just got back from a road trip today, noticed engine oil dripping off the engine, from what i can see the block is wet up behind the alternator
Any ideas where the oil could be coming from?
thanks
Shaun
2003 3.0L

Mate, I agree with what others said and check those things but I had oil all over the alternator and dripping from the bottom rear the engine and it was my genuine Nissan (porous )intercooler. New i/c and pressure clean motor all fixed. That was about 8 months ago btw so I am confident that is what it was.

threedogs
11th May 2015, 04:26 PM
check all your IC hoses as well if loose they can spray oil around especially on the fire wall

Hodge
11th May 2015, 05:39 PM
Behind alternator? Is there any coolant in the leak ? This could be the famous ZD30 timing cover leak. Just googled it or search this or the other patrol forum. Tons of info about it.

Shaun blank
2nd June 2015, 12:57 PM
thanks for the helep guys, i have just installed a catch can, so sounds like it can cause a timing cover leak, there does look like there is some coolant leaking as well.

threedogs
2nd June 2015, 01:06 PM
you dont want that ask hodge ,

mudski
2nd June 2015, 08:15 PM
Have you got a catch can Shaun? Take the hose off the turbo outlet and see how much oil is in there. It should be wet, like just a film of oil. Not really wet though. Maybe the the ic is leaking as others hafe suggested.

Shaun blank
3rd June 2015, 01:33 PM
Have you got a catch can Shaun? Take the hose off the turbo outlet and see how much oil is in there. It should be wet, like just a film of oil. Not really wet though. Maybe the the ic is leaking as others hafe suggested.

I have recently intalled a catch can, and checked ic for leaks, all good, can the catch can cause the timing cover seal to leak?

mudski
3rd June 2015, 01:44 PM
I have recently intalled a catch can, and checked ic for leaks, all good, can the catch can cause the timing cover seal to leak?

If the catch can is blocked then yeah i could be pressurizing the motor maybe.

You haven't changed the belt tensioner lately have you? I changed mine a while back and the front seal started to leak within days. I just assumed as the load on the old tensioner was closed to non existant, then a new tensioner went on, it was just adding that tiny bit more load, or pull, on the balancer and seal, it started to leak.
The front seal isn't hard to do, if you have the right tools. And enough beer to drink whilst doing it. Took me a few hours. Its just weeping now, but I should have put a speedie sleeve on the balancer where the seal runs as there was the slightest of grooves.

I think you need to get under there a see exactly where this leak is coming from.

Shaun blank
4th June 2015, 04:46 PM
I have installed a catch can recently, and checked the ic and cleaned it all up, this leak has started since then, can the catch can cause the timing cover to start to leak?

mudski
4th June 2015, 04:48 PM
I have installed a catch can recently, and checked the ic and cleaned it all up, this leak has started since then, can the catch can cause the timing cover to start to leak?

If the catch can is blocked then yeah i could be pressurizing the motor maybe. Could be just coincidence too.

Shaun blank
6th June 2015, 05:22 PM
Thats interesting i have just replaced the belt tensioner recently, it might have unsert things, do you keep the front seals in stock?

mudski
7th June 2015, 11:01 AM
Thats interesting i have just replaced the belt tensioner recently, it might have unsert things, do you keep the front seals in stock?
Yeah i keep the front seals... its a bit of a prick of a job to do, but with the right tools, can be done.....

Hodge
7th June 2015, 11:03 AM
Which seal are we talking about here ? The full timing cover seals/gaskets ?

Shaun blank
7th June 2015, 02:57 PM
I've got a few day off next week, so ill try and pin point where its coming from, and ill let you know what i need

Shaun blank
20th June 2015, 03:38 PM
After removing the alternator, the leak is from the front cover where the head and block join, which gasket would that be?

Rumcajs
20th June 2015, 05:43 PM
After removing the alternator, the leak is from the front cover where the head and block join, which gasket would that be?

Assuming ZD30
This one ==> (indeed if that is the one then run for cover as the engine needs to come out to replace that one)

Hodge
20th June 2015, 05:55 PM
Assuming ZD30
This one ==> (indeed if that is the one then run for cover as the engine needs to come out to replace that one)

Yep as per my very early comment early in this thread, it's got the dreaded timing cover leak written all over it.
Depending on the mechanic, it's a gearbox and/or engine out job.
I was qouted various figures, $1800 - $4600. Lowest being 4x4 obsession and highest nissan dealer (obviously).
But most of them have told me, if it is coolant only, sweating out, not to worry about it and leave it.

Shaun blank
21st June 2015, 05:32 AM
Thanks for all that good news boys, thats just made my day, its just dripping a small amount of oil after a drive, just enough to make a mess, it might have to stay that way for a while

threedogs
21st June 2015, 08:54 AM
Yep as per my very early comment early in this thread, it's got the dreaded timing cover leak written all over it.
Depending on the mechanic, it's a gearbox and/or engine out job.
I was qouted various figures, $1800 - $4600. Lowest being 4x4 obsession and highest nissan dealer (obviously).
But most of them have told me, if it is coolant only, sweating out, not to worry about it and leave it.

@ Hodge couldn't you put some flakes in the system to block it up harmlessly
rather than use chemiweld

Hodge
21st June 2015, 02:24 PM
Thanks for all that good news boys, thats just made my day, its just dripping a small amount of oil after a drive, just enough to make a mess, it might have to stay that way for a while

Yeah sorry to be another bearer of bad news but welcome to the world of grenades mate. I'm just keeping an eye on mine, no oil, mine is just coolant but still very annoying.

@ Hodge couldn't you put some flakes in the system to block it up harmlessly
rather than use chemiweld

I haven't tried mate, as my leak is very minute, I am not too stressed at the moment. Might look into it though.