PDA

View Full Version : zd30...

milsomr
10th May 2015, 06:49 PM
milsom here in Chrisrchurch NZ

just enrolled. just bought a patrol. company car goes back at the month end, used to have a 100 series cruiser, bought a GU3 zd30 2002 as my new car.

anyone who has concerns over longevity - mine has done 420,000km. former company directors car, did a lot of long and hot running. totally standard. keen to understand more about how the zd30 failed - my investigations to date suggest lack of oil capacity and turbo boot spikes... comments?

just giving it the once over, looks like the front wheel bearings need tightening at least - im a bit confused that the front hubs dont run in oil like a land rover one does? looks like the shims have been removed so maybe its new bearings required. i recon by the time ive taken them to bits i might as well put the new bearing in?

was changing the speakers in the front today and now my passenger window is down and wont come back up - i did mess with the door switch but ive taken it off, no action on either front... any suggestions/ i wondered if i had ended up with the switch jammed on and burned something out? all the other windows work fine - no no action from either the drivers control or the passenger door switch

i was going to wire in some fog lights but i can figure out which switch blank the wiring is behind on the dash? theres a purple lead to blanks behind the bumper - any advice?

safari snorkel on order - some suggestions around removing the baffles in the inlet pipes between the air box and the

it has a catch tank fitted recently, thinking of the egr blank, dawes valves and egt gauges - possibly a 3" exhaust but TBH its in 'as new' condition underneath

currently building a false floor for the boot (3rd seats out) dog guard (i heard a modified commodore one fits? so i took a punt for $30)

advice on diff oils? and diff locks - might need to review breather pipes too.

im quite excited about all these jobs but the passenger door window has me scratching my head.... lets start there?

Sherro
10th May 2015, 08:50 PM
G'day Milsom welcome to the forum mate. Maybe check the wiring in the doors for a pinched wire and your fuses just a thought.

MEGOMONSTER
10th May 2015, 08:59 PM
Welcome mate, surely the best forum on the net. If you need it, you can get it, if you want to know it, just ask it.
If you want to find it, go to the search bar for a universe of information.
Enjoy the sights and sounds of the greatest show on earth.

Sir Roofy
10th May 2015, 09:05 PM
Welcome aboard mate

Dhuck
10th May 2015, 10:43 PM
Welcome to the forum mate

4bye4
10th May 2015, 11:31 PM
Welcome to the forum mate. Can't answer all your questions, but about why zd30's fail, there are possibly as many theory's as failed motors. The two you mention are probably on track. No doubt IMO that NADS helps if not prevents common failures.
About the window problem - check all the wires and plugs/sockets near where you were working. Also GU's are notorious for earth problems. Make sure you don't have corosion around earth wires and terminals.

threedogs
11th May 2015, 07:45 AM
Hello Milson and welcome to the forum,
Start a build thread and you'll get a better response to your questions.
in the meantime jump in anytime and enjoy

milsomr
11th May 2015, 09:09 AM
3 windows work... im assuming that they aren't individually fused

Clunk
14th May 2015, 11:41 AM
g'day mate and welcome aboard

Patto
16th May 2015, 05:32 PM
Gooday welcome to the forum mate