PDA

View Full Version : Spark issue

kellane1
10th May 2015, 10:22 AM
Howdy folks,

I am having a torrid time trying to diagnose an electrical fault on a mates antique patrol, its a 12/97 4.5Ltr petrol, the first i think with electronic ignition and fuel injection, Y61 motor.

To cut a long story short, the issue is no spark to any cylinder, I can measure voltage at the plug going into the dizzy but there in nothing converted to spark coming out.

Have replaced the rotor and cleaned all terminal points on the dizzy, checked all leads etc and all seems to be good.

I guess my question is this, could it be and does it have an ignition module that if broke would cause this issue and if so is it located in the distributor itself?

Would anybody recommend sourcing a 2nd hand entire distributor and just replace as a complete unit to see if this is the issue and is it a common thing for the dizzy to die with these electronics.

The dizzy itself 2nd hand is not expensive but getting it to me is an issue, I am currently located on Warraber Island in the Torres Straits and there are no facilitys available here.

I would really appreciate any potential solutions to this issue as it is inconveniently rusting in my driveway in the way of my boat..

Regards Kel

ablast
21st November 2015, 08:44 PM
Having a similar problem myself. Did this happen after disconnecting and reconnecting the battery?