PDA

View Full Version : No spark

kellane1
9th May 2015, 10:52 AM
Howdy folks,

I have been on this forum for quite a while but unfortunately when i signed in it did not recognise me so i have rejoined as a newbie.

I am having a torrid time trying to diagnose an electrical fault on a mates antique patrol, its a 12/97 4.5Ltr petrol, the first i think with electronic ignition and fuel injection, Y61 motor.

To cut a long story short, the issue is no spark to any cylinder, I can measure voltage at the plug going into the dizzy but there in nothing converted to spark coming out.

Have replaced the rotor and cleaned all terminal points on the dizzy, checked all leads etc and all seems to be good.

I guess my question is this, could it be and does it have an ignition module that if broke would cause this issue and if so is it located in the distributor itself?

Would anybody recommend sourcing a 2nd hand entire distributor and just replace as a complete unit to see if this is the issue and is it a common thing for the dizzy to die with these electronics.

The dizzy itself 2nd hand is not expensive but getting it to me is an issue, I am currently located on Warraber Island in the Torres Straits and there are no facilitys available here.

I would really appreciate any potential solutions to this issue as it is inconveniently rusting in my driveway in the way of my boat..

Regards Kel

4bye4
9th May 2015, 11:04 AM
Welcome back mate. Unfortunately I can't help you, but hopefully someone here can. Is there a similar motor on the Island that you swap can dizzy bits with until you can see what the prob is?

threedogs
9th May 2015, 01:45 PM
Hello and welcome back

growler2058
9th May 2015, 01:52 PM
Gday mate welcome aboard...............again

kellane1
9th May 2015, 09:46 PM
Thanks mate, No, Nothing this old here in the way of bits, used to a short wheel base but they buried her, all the rest have rusted away. Which is why my patrol currently resides in the shed back on the farm.

Sherro
10th May 2015, 11:15 AM
G'day Kel welcome back mate.

Patto
10th May 2015, 11:43 AM
G'day mate welcome

MEGOMONSTER
11th May 2015, 10:29 AM
Welcome mate, surely the best forum on the net. If you need it, you can get it, if you want to know it, just ask it.
If you want to find it, go to the search bar for a universe of information.
Enjoy the sights and sounds of the greatest show on earth.

Missy
11th May 2015, 11:41 AM
There was electronic ignition and fuel injection in the gq as well. The 4.5L to my knowledge is basically just a bored out 4.2L. So maybe, just maybe a later gq dizzy might fit. Maybe.... Don't quote me on it. Lol.

Dhuck
11th May 2015, 06:27 PM
Welcome back to the forum mate

Wornoutwoolclasser
11th June 2015, 11:02 AM
The NATS key caused a similar issue with my 4.5. Try another key if you have one

Clunk
11th June 2015, 04:03 PM
G'day mate and welcome back to the forum

threedogs
11th June 2015, 04:17 PM
bumped any up dates

ablast
21st November 2015, 06:01 PM
I have a 1997 GQ too. Mine is on gas/petrol. I just replaced my battery box as it had rusted away. When I reconnected the battery I have no spark at the plugs either. I also am not getting any fuel (petrol or gas). I'm fairly sure that if the injectors are not primed with petrol, you won't get spark either. Has anyone had experience with this and if so what was the fault and solution.
Cheers
ablast.

MB
22nd November 2015, 07:00 AM
Welcome mate!