PDA

View Full Version : Any home theater tecs out there?

NissanGQ4.2
7th May 2015, 04:39 PM
Hi guys n girls

Looking at getting an AV Receiver and DVD Recorder as I still have an outstanding 1000 buck store credit with Harvey Norman. I can't afford to get a 7.2 and a DVD recorder but can get a 5.1 and DVD recorder for just over $1000 ( have to pay the difference ).

Would there be really much difference between 5.1 and 7.2 in a below average size lounge room?

I don't use a stereo at home much but the missus does, I would only want it when watching DVD's

Any advise will be much appreciated

Cheers

Toddie

P.S: This is what I was looking at getting

AV Receiver: http://www.harveynorman.com.au/tv-blu-ray-home-theatre/home-theatre-speakers/av-receivers/yamaha-5-1-channel-av-receiver-209264.html

DVD Recorder: http://www.harveynorman.com.au/tv-blu-ray-home-theatre/blu-ray-dvd-recorders/blu-ray-players-recorders/lg-3d-capable-blu-ray-recorder-500gb.html

Clunk
7th May 2015, 04:55 PM
There will be a difference but for your requirements in a medium size room, 5.1 will work just fine. I've got an older model 6.1 Yamaha amp and it works very well indeed. Rear 3 speakers are flush mount ceiling jobbies. If you can I'd maybe look into getting a matching Yamaha blue ray recorder jobbie, that way you can get away with only using the one remote.

Oh and I recon you should be able to get HN to know a few hundred off the price

Winnie
7th May 2015, 05:30 PM

Yeah definitely don't forget this mate, they'll be able to drop the price a fair bit! Just don't tell them you have store credit until after you've decided on a price with them.

NissanGQ4.2
7th May 2015, 05:49 PM
Yeah definitely don't forget this mate, they'll be able to drop the price a fair bit! Just don't tell them you have store credit until after you've decided on a price with them.

no go with that, Its not really a store credit it has to go through there insurance division and be sent from them, I can't just walk into our local HM and haggle the price, I have already tried on numerous occasions tries to get a store credit so I could do just that.

NissanGQ4.2
7th May 2015, 05:51 PM
There will be a difference but for your requirements in a medium size room, 5.1 will work just fine. I've got an older model 6.1 Yamaha amp and it works very well indeed. Rear 3 speakers are flush mount ceiling jobbies. If you can I'd maybe look into getting a matching Yamaha blue ray recorder jobbie, that way you can get away with only using the one remote.

Thanks mate, Already though about getting a Yamaha DVD recorder if they do them but HM don't stock them anyway so will have 2 be a different brand :(

dave97
7th May 2015, 06:11 PM
5.1 in a medium room will be fine unless you are an audiophile in which case hn wouldn't have what you want lol can always look at getting a universal remote if more than 1 remote is too annoying.

NissanGQ4.2
8th May 2015, 05:21 PM
Ok, another q for the tech heads out there

The speakers I already have are

2 x Front Speakers: 150W,4ohm

1 x Subwoofer: 150W, 4ohm

3 x Surround Speakers: 50W, 6ohm

From what I can gather from the AV receiver specs its

Rated Output Power (1kHz, 1ch driven) 95 W (6ohms, 0.9% THD)
Rated Output Power (20Hz-20kHz, 2ch driven) 60 W (6ohms, 0.09% THD)
Maximum Effective Output Power (1kHz, 1ch driven) (JEITA) 125W (6ohms, 10% THD)
Dynamic Power per Channel (8/6/4/2 ohms) 90 / 110 / 140 / 160 W

Will my speakers be ok to use with this AV receiver or will I kill them or the receiver????

Cheers

Toddie

NissanGQ4.2
9th May 2015, 10:17 AM
bump bump bump

Clunk
9th May 2015, 11:53 AM
I think you may run the risk of damaging the amp using lower (4ohm) impedance speakers with your higher (6ohm) impedance amp. Unless of course theres a switch on the amp that allows you to switch to a lower impedance. But if you're amp is 4ohm then running 6 ohm speakers isn't necessary a problem ............... hope I've got that the right way round

NissanGQ4.2
9th May 2015, 02:11 PM
I think you may run the risk of damaging the amp using lower (4ohm) impedance speakers with your higher (6ohm) impedance amp. Unless of course theres a switch on the amp that allows you to switch to a lower impedance. But if you're amp is 4ohm then running 6 ohm speakers isn't necessary a problem ............... hope I've got that the right way round

Fark..... not what I wanted 2 hear, better look for a different receiver :(

Clunk
9th May 2015, 03:04 PM
Fark..... not what I wanted 2 hear, better look for a different receiver :(
Dont take my word for it mate but thats the way I understand it. The amp may well be able to run those speakers ........... i just dont understand the rest of the stuff at the bottom of the specs.

NissanGQ4.2
9th May 2015, 04:03 PM
Dont take my word for it mate but thats the way I understand it. The amp may well be able to run those speakers ........... i just dont understand the rest of the stuff at the bottom of the specs.

Yeh I don't understand it but have read if you run 4ohm speakers with a 6ohm receiver you risk damaging both.

Why is it so hard :(

my third 256
10th May 2015, 11:31 AM
dvd player go the same as tv and dont forget the connections as they can be quite expensive
for good quality cables as you spent all this money on quality stuff why put ebay cables on
i used all monster cables / very costly / but hdmi you can tell the difference in quality
stay with 5.1 you dont need to go higher you wont tell the difference in my opinion
mine is a yamaha ht 3063 and is 5.1 with blue ray works well with sony bravia tv sony blue ray player / projector &
100 inch screen

NissanGQ4.2
12th May 2015, 05:04 PM
Well I ordered the 2 in the links :), the Harvey Norman guy on there website chat said my speakers were ok to use with the receiver and I kept a copy of the chat so if it blows up I'll blame him *L*

I did read conflicting info from various sites saying it didn't matter about matching the ohms and other sites saying you had 2 match them.... guess I'll find out.

Thanks all that replied for the help in deciding, much appreciated :)

LaughingBeagles
12th May 2015, 10:05 PM
Hey mate,

Better late than never but....

Love my surround sound system and like Clunk, I use a Yamaha (I have the RX-A2020). My speakers are energy take classic speakers (see http://www.amazon.com/Energy-Classic-Theater-System-Black/dp/B001202C44) which cost me a bomb when I bought them but as you will see they are affordable now. My amp is a 9.2 system.

I have never used more than 5.1 because the room size have never really needed it and with the Yamaha, there's a function that will set up optimum sound for your room characteristics.

In terms of recording, all my gear is through a windows 8.1 machine running Windows Media Centre. I have four x 4TB hard drives to store all my DVD and Blu ray images so I don't have to stick DVDs in. The PC looks like an amp so it sits nicely in the room. It also has a Blu Ray burner so it does it all at little cost. I use a logitch universal remote which replaces my Yamaha and TV remote so I don't have to swap remotes all the time. The PC plays 3D no worries as well.

In short, you can't go wrong with Yamaha, the speakers you have will pop so don't use them, think about what do you really want to listen to / watch and how and go from there.

When it all works together, it's a real WOW! factor no matter if your an audiophile or not, so if you can afford a little more, it's well worth it.

Oh, and as for cables, my third 256 is correct if you are wiring a big room - for you average room size, mid price will do the trick (the longer the distance the more shielding, esp over 2meters).

Hope that helps mate.

NissanGQ4.2
12th May 2015, 10:29 PM
I'm running Windows Media Centre but yet to consolidate all my movies, mp3's all into one place, have hard drives knocking around everywhere.

I don't / won't use it a great deal other than movies, my missus listens to music and she is not a tech head so she doesn't care what I get as long as it works and sounds good *L*

Speakers will have 2 do for now, until the $$$$ permits and if they blow, it gives me an excuse 2 upgrade :)

Thanks 4 the link, I will look into those speakers

LaughingBeagles
12th May 2015, 11:24 PM
I hear you mate. Same with my wife....