PDA

View Full Version : New member with a Question

BobA
5th May 2015, 09:32 AM
Hi,

I joined this forum to share my experience with my Y62 TiL Patrol. I have owned about 4 Discoveries and a Landcruiser and this is definitely the best of the bunch even allowing for advances in technology over the years. I bought it mainly because of its value for money following massive price reductions following the Australian launch and because it was the only vehicle this side of $130k with all of the safety features I wanted. Goes like a rocket if needed and it was a pleasure to leave the diesel clangers behind. Economy has settled down to 15.3/100km using 98 octane with mostly highway cruising. I figure since the speedo overreads by about 10% the economy is also 10% optimistic. I attempt to reduce the refuel price shock by not waiting until I have used all 140 litres, buying $5 worth of chocolates at Woolies Caltex to ensure I get my full 8 cent per litre discount and finally convincing myself that it is worth every damn cent anyway to drive this vehicle. I spend a fortune on insurance for cars, houses, life insurance etc and this is the best way to ensure I and my passengers are as safe as possible. I have travelled 18k in it to date. Great vehicle. The thing I like about it most is its size. Lots of room for grandkids. What I hate most about it is its size - parking is a nightmare in suburbia and I have learnt to cruise around the shopping car parks to pick the best spot to minimise door dings from other inconsiderate car owners. The all-round camera system is poor resolution and next to useless but I can live with it if I don't rely on it. Good for avoiding pets running around the car in the driveway though.
I am considering trying to put the 3rd row 'missing' seat belt in the rear (TiL only has 2 instead of the other models 3). When I asked Nissan prior to purchase about this issue they were none responsive but they eventually said it was a weight issue because of all the extra gear on the TiL. In other words they had no idea. The cutouts are there in the headliner and since all the bodies are the same I suspect it is just a matter of getting a seatbelt from the dealer and paying a certified installer to put it in. I wouldn't even bother asking a dealer to put it in as we can all guess what their response would be. The only down side from my 'purchase experience' has been support from Nissan Australia and the dealer I purchased it from. Shocking is probably the only word I care to use in this forum. They really need to clean their act up and yes, it would influence my next purchase. My local dealer basically told me to go elsewhere to buy one because he didn't have one in stock and probably thought I was not a serious buyer (my thongs may have had something to do with it). Several weeks later he was dumb-struck when I booked it in for its first service after buying it inter-state at the best price I was given. I guess the dealership missed out on a substantial $ benefit from the sale. Cheers.

4bye4
5th May 2015, 09:40 AM
Welcome to the forum mate. Unfortunatly your experience with dealerships is not unusual, and not restricted to Nissan. The aim these days is to move product, be it cars or toothpicks. Changes and upgrades take time and therefore are low on the priority list.

BobA
5th May 2015, 09:48 AM
Thanks. If I was CEO Nissan Australia I would be reading this forum daily - and I bet he/she is! I forgot my question - it was about the seat belt issue to see if anyone else had done this. Cheers.

threedogs
5th May 2015, 02:48 PM
Hi Bob and welcome to the forum. congrats on your new Patrol.
Sadly Mr Nissan doesnt make many friends here, regardless of the problem
Dont forget to throw up some pics of the beast,
Only a few here have a Y62,, Kevin 07 being a regular here
enjoy

Dhuck
5th May 2015, 06:51 PM
Welcome to the forum mate.

Clunk
5th May 2015, 07:36 PM
g'day Bob and welcome aboard

Bigcol
5th May 2015, 07:42 PM
welcome to the forum BobA
I have been semi-seriously toying with the idea of upgrading to the Y62
except
as you said, Mr Nissan dont give a flying fook for you once you give him the money

real pity

anyway - enjoy your beastie for what it is - awesome

growler2058
5th May 2015, 07:45 PM
Gday mate welcome aboard

Hodge
5th May 2015, 09:03 PM
Welcome to the forum Boba. Nice choice of car mate. Maybe one day for me ... One can only dream.
Nissan isn't isolated from sometimes being a pain like this... Most stealerships can play these sorts of cards at times unfortunately.

Bob
6th May 2015, 08:40 AM
Welcome Bob from another Bob.
Enjoy the experience

MEGOMONSTER
6th May 2015, 05:51 PM
Welcome mate, surely the best forum on the net. If you need it, you can get it, if you want to know it, just ask it.
If you want to find it, go to the search bar for a universe of information.
Enjoy the sights and sounds of the greatest show on earth.

mudski
9th May 2015, 12:36 AM
Welcome to the forum. Enjoy.

kevin07
9th May 2015, 04:58 PM
welcome to the forum BobA
I have been semi-seriously toying with the idea of upgrading to the Y62
except
as you said, Mr Nissan dont give a flying fook for you once you give him the money

real pity

anyway - enjoy your beastie for what it is - awesome

seriously toying with the idea go take one for a drive and the serious will dissappear and the 62 will appear in your driveway

kevin07
9th May 2015, 05:00 PM
gday bob and welcome, awesome car. see everyone he took one for a drive

Patto
9th May 2015, 05:08 PM
Gday mate welcome aboard

Sherro
10th May 2015, 11:25 AM
G'day Bob welcome to the forum mate.

Bigcol
10th May 2015, 11:33 AM
seriously toying with the idea go take one for a drive and the serious will dissappear and the 62 will appear in your driveway

have taken one for a test drive (poor salesman - he was a bit worried where I took it) yes, they are nice yes I would buy one

but

not keen on scratching up a new car, with where I take my 16yr old GU usually

one day I will succumb to the urge, but not right now............

BobA
12th May 2015, 04:50 PM
Thanks Guys. I'd buy some shares in Nissan if you were all employed them them. Cheers Bob.

noel_w
13th May 2015, 02:31 PM
Hey Bob, would love one if I could afford one but alas. Saw one with some fruit on it the other day and it looked 100% better than off the showroom floor.

BillsGU
14th May 2015, 12:37 AM
Try this mob. This is where I get my ADR approved seat belts from. Much cheaper than original.

https://www.seatsafe.com.au/