PDA

View Full Version : Stopping Manual Hunters

graeme1969
4th May 2015, 11:29 PM
Gday All,

I know this has been discussed before, but surely there has to be some way to stop people just showing up for an hour on the forum to get some manuals then disappear into the www never to be heard from again.

I don't post very much but do enjoy hitting the "What's New" button to see what is going on, but don't enjoy a long list of dribble from people wanting manuals with absolutely nothing to add to the forum, and not really giving anything in the way of what's new.

Would changing the 25 post rule to something like a time period e.g 24, 48 hours or maybe even a week after joining the forum before the manuals can be downloaded stop the quick fire bombardment of shite.

Just my thoughts.

4bye4
4th May 2015, 11:56 PM
I agree. It really doesn't bother me that they come just to get the manuals, but I do get a bit peed off reading "good post mate, thanks." 25 times, especially if its on a serious thread for example the depression thread. A time would be a good idea or even limiting the number of posts that could be made in one sitting.
It would be good also if state and/or country were mandatory when registering. I get frustrated when I read things like anyone no a good diesel mechanic? Like where and why?

katwoman
5th May 2015, 12:04 AM
Unfortunately it's a long endless argument, and I think AB is just too much of a nice bloke to make it hard for anyone..

Stropp
5th May 2015, 12:50 AM
Unfortunately it's a long endless argument, and I think AB is just too much of a nice bloke to make it hard for anyone..

Personally I think AB is a bastard but don't tell him! 😀

katwoman
5th May 2015, 01:13 AM
Personally I think AB is a bastard but don't tell him! 😀

hehe.. A nice bastard.Your secret is safe with me..

Clunk
5th May 2015, 01:36 AM
I get frustrated when I read things like anyone no a good diesel mechanic? Like where and why?

It gets up my nose too, so do what I do and correct them. "It's know, not no, you illiterate fool"............ just like that see

kevin07
5th May 2015, 08:26 AM
why not try, yes do the 25 post thing then apply to the mods for the privilege of being accepted and be allowed to download. I get pissed as well reading the crap these pricks dribble at us

AB
5th May 2015, 08:30 AM
Let me just get the forum onto the new server folks and we can revisit it again if you like.

4bye4
5th May 2015, 09:44 AM
It gets up my nose too, so do what I do and correct them. "It's know, not no, you illiterate fool"............ just like that see

I new that:o

Clunk
5th May 2015, 10:00 AM
Let me just get the forum onto the new server folks and we can revisit it again if you like.

What........... you mean to say you haven't made any Redback Rooftop bags?

growler2058
5th May 2015, 11:39 AM
It's not on Tappacrap yet ;)

threedogs
5th May 2015, 12:43 PM
Most would be better off posting a Question IMO.
Maybe not so much for the OS members.

graeme1969
5th May 2015, 12:55 PM
If the time required was a day or two people would be more likely (possibly) to hang around and see that the information on here is probably more valuable than any manual anyway rather than just swoop in grab the manuals then never be heard from again.

Woof
5th May 2015, 01:38 PM
We have been running since 2010 and have only had 127 people who only posted the required 25 posts and no more, really surprised me as I thought it was more

growler2058
5th May 2015, 01:54 PM
We have been running since 2010 and have only had 127 people who only posted the required 25 posts and no more, really surprised me as I thought it was more

Plenty got banned before they hit the 25 post mark though, so wouldn't be on that list ay

gaddy
5th May 2015, 02:49 PM
There's manuals :)

threedogs
5th May 2015, 02:51 PM
There's manuals :)

Come in auto too lol

Woof
5th May 2015, 02:52 PM
Plenty got banned before they hit the 25 post mark though, so wouldn't be on that list ay

Yes there are a lot with only 24 posts, nothing feels better than banning them when they think they have just about got to 25 posts

threedogs
5th May 2015, 02:58 PM
Yes there are a lot with only 24 posts, nothing feels better than banning them when they think they have just about got to 25 posts

Anyone would think you take pride in doing that, 24 you're gooone mate ha ha Muahaaaa muhaaaaaa

graeme1969
5th May 2015, 06:58 PM

That's still 3175 posts that have come up when I hit What's New.

Maxhead
5th May 2015, 07:10 PM
Get rid of the 25 post rule asll together!

When Andy migrates the server to one bigger then Google US we wont need the rule and no more manual spammers...simple
The onses with brains will stick around and have a look anyways.lol

taslucas
5th May 2015, 07:12 PM
.........simple

And also you

Maxhead
5th May 2015, 07:15 PM
And also you

I'm no manual grabber I saw the drunken thread and now you can't get rid of me....LOL

gaddy
5th May 2015, 07:29 PM
Who needs a manual , don't you just disconnect the battery for halfa and clean maffamajig !

Clunk
5th May 2015, 07:33 PM
Get rid of the 25 post rule asll together!

When Andy migrates the server to one bigger then Google US we wont need the rule and no more manual spammers...simple

I like the 25 post rule, gives the mods something to chase.................... and besides I'd rather that than have the forum slow down to a bloody crawl because of bandwidth being chewed up

NissanGQ4.2
5th May 2015, 07:36 PM

That figure would be incorrect Wayne, would be way more than that, Originally I believe you could download with 0 post count as long as you were a member, then I'm pretty sure it was something like 2 post counts before you had access and now the 25 posts.

And that figure would not include members that post 25 post of crap to get the manual that got banned and had there post removed.

And in reply 2 the OP, I say only have them available to forum sponsors *L* :)

Bigcol
5th May 2015, 07:36 PM
you could do like the Forums in the UK - Pay per download............

let them do 25 posts, then when they go to download a manual - BAM - $25.00 thanks to be a FULL member with download rights
no pay
no membership
no manual

Clunk
5th May 2015, 07:37 PM
And in reply 2 the OP, I say only have them available to forum members *L* :)

do you mean "sponsors" Nobby?

growler2058
5th May 2015, 07:59 PM

I like taking 1 post a time off them for a while just to stuff em around then ban em ;)

growler2058
5th May 2015, 08:03 PM
I like the 25 post rule, gives the mods something to chase.................... and besides I'd rather that than have the forum slow down to a bloody crawl because of bandwidth being chewed up

Same I'd get bored only modding yours and nisspissd posts

Clunk
5th May 2015, 08:14 PM
Same I'd get bored only modding yours and nisspissd posts

I'm sure we could step it up a bit more if you like ;):D

Rock Trol
5th May 2015, 08:34 PM
I new that:o

Good won mate!

Clunk
5th May 2015, 09:05 PM
Good won mate!

Ow dont ewe start

4bye4
5th May 2015, 10:12 PM
This could go on four ever.

Clunk
5th May 2015, 10:13 PM
This could go on four ever.

I seen right threw what ewe did their

NissanGQ4.2
5th May 2015, 10:28 PM
do you mean "sponsors" Nobby?

yeh that thing

4bye4
5th May 2015, 10:37 PM
I seen right threw what ewe did their

We seam two be getting to far off topic.

Avo
5th May 2015, 11:36 PM
know don't bee like that