PDA

View Full Version : Rear axle seals

Bloodyaussie
30th April 2015, 05:19 PM
Just finished doing an axle seal on the rear left and job was completed in less the 30 min.
You only need a 19mm spanner for the calipers and and 17mm for the housing and a large Phillips head for the disc plate.

Also helps to have a decent sized pry bar and a seal driver.

Remove wheel and caliper the disc.

Undo 6 17mm nuts and with a hammer gently tap the main hub assembly out.

The whole lot will fall out with the axle.

Pry out old seal and with a oiled up new seal and using a seal driver replace.

Of course clean as you go and re assembly is reverse of disassembly.

Very straight forward.

Job can be done in 20 min.

5767357674576755767657677]57678

Parksy
30th April 2015, 05:45 PM
Nice work. How did you go getting the axle back in? They are so bloody heavy and when you can't find the bloody spline you're worried about crushing the fresh seal.

Bloodyaussie
30th April 2015, 05:47 PM
Nice work. How did you go getting the axle back in? They are so bloody heavy and when you can't find the bloody spline you're worried about crushing the fresh seal.

A little bit of fetling but went in much easier than the last time I did a front seal on Drews car... had a quick look at the rear bearing and can see that is a little more involved and from what I am told it needs to be pressed.. is this correct?

Hodge
30th April 2015, 06:05 PM
Good write up and instructions mate. Definitely bookmarking this. Are GU's pretty much the same setup, does anybody know?

Bloodyaussie
30th April 2015, 06:07 PM
Pretty sure they are but am happy to be educated.

Parksy
30th April 2015, 07:56 PM
I'm pretty sure the GU setup is almost identical. I have a spare set of axles in the shed that I'll have a go at replacing bearings. Will have to make some tools but shouldn't be too hard.

Bloodyaussie
30th April 2015, 07:58 PM
I'm pretty sure the GU setup is almost identical. I have a spare set of axles in the shed that I'll have a go at replacing bearings. Will have to make some tools but shouldn't be too hard.

Cheers Andrew... i will be rebuilding my steering pump next week so that should be another good one.

Parksy
30th April 2015, 08:01 PM
Post lots of pics of the pump rebuild Jonathan. Keen to see that.

Bloodyaussie
30th April 2015, 08:11 PM
Post lots of pics of the pump rebuild Jonathan. Keen to see that.

I'll just send them to you Andrew as i couldn't be stuffed posting them here..

Winnie
30th April 2015, 08:17 PM
Cheers Andrew... i will be rebuilding my steering pump next week so that should be another good one.

Yeah that will be an interesting read!

Clunk
1st May 2015, 01:41 AM
I'll just send them to you Andrew as i couldn't be stuffed posting them here..

And what about the rest of us?