PDA

View Full Version : Glow plugs or module

luvpsi
28th April 2015, 10:36 AM
Hey guys I've been researching this topic but still can't seem to find the answers I'm after. I have a gu td42t non intercooled. The morning starts have been have Ben hard but geting harder. I'm not sure whether glow plugs or module. I can hear the relay click off after about 3 secs there is power going to glow plug rail. The car used to take about 3 turns of the key to start but now takes about 5 (this is when cold) however once started no issue for rest of day. If I leave the key on for a bit it seems to get a little easier but I can't hear the relay clicking on and off like my old gq did. If I turn key on and off a few times it seems to start on second go. My question is glow plugs or module?

If it's my module could I just wire my plugs to a toggle switch as my wallet wont let me get a new module?

mudski
28th April 2015, 11:06 AM
Grab your multimeter and see what voltage each plug is getting. There is a more accurate way too test glow plugs with a dmm but you reckon I can think of it right now? :rolleyes:

luvpsi
28th April 2015, 11:07 AM
Ohms? On the multimeter?
Do I have to take the glow plugs out or can I leave them in

4bye4
28th April 2015, 11:44 AM
Hey guys I've been researching this topic but still can't seem to find the answers I'm after. I have a gu td42t non intercooled. The morning starts have been have Ben hard but geting harder. I'm not sure whether glow plugs or module. I can hear the relay click off after about 3 secs there is power going to glow plug rail. The car used to take about 3 turns of the key to start but now takes about 5 (this is when cold) however once started no issue for rest of day. If I leave the key on for a bit it seems to get a little easier but I can't hear the relay clicking on and off like my old gq did. If I turn key on and off a few times it seems to start on second go. My question is glow plugs or module?

If it's my module could I just wire my plugs to a toggle switch as my wallet wont let me get a new module?

mate if you do end up using a manual switch, get a hight current switch. Your normal SCA toggle switch won't handle the current for long. Hopefully it won't come to that. Good luck.

luvpsi
28th April 2015, 01:09 PM
Ok will do cheers

luvpsi
30th April 2015, 11:51 AM
Ok so I tested my glow plugs I have 2 plugs within in the lineup that are not giving me a ohms reading the rest give me some sort of reading. I cleaned the contact points in the glow plug rail etc for now so I'm guessing I'm in need of glow plugs? But I didn't think only 2 would cause such a hard start. I also counted how long until the glow plug relay switched off. On cold start so first thing in the morning it only stayed on for 5 secs then I turned key off and back on and they only stayed on for 3 secs. How long should they stay on. The mrs got the car to start yesterday morning first kick after turning key on and off for a while

Nissanpatrol97
3rd February 2016, 03:14 AM
Ok so I tested my glow plugs I have 2 plugs within in the lineup that are not giving me a ohms reading the rest give me some sort of reading. I cleaned the contact points in the glow plug rail etc for now so I'm guessing I'm in need of glow plugs? But I didn't think only 2 would cause such a hard start. I also counted how long until the glow plug relay switched off. On cold start so first thing in the morning it only stayed on for 5 secs then I turned key off and back on and they only stayed on for 3 secs. How long should they stay on. The mrs got the car to start yesterday morning first kick after turning key on and off for a while

Same problem here :( did you fix it?

BigRAWesty
3rd February 2016, 09:46 AM
I would say plugs.