PDA

View Full Version : Timing belt

dom14
27th April 2015, 01:42 AM
Hey guys,
I'm just about to replace the timing belt in my GQ RB30.
There are quite a few of them on the internet.
I thought I might post few here and get some opinions on them.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/261863154246?ssPageName=STRK:MESINDXX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1436.l2649

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/BERLINA-COMMODORE-CALAIS-NISSAN-PATROL-SKYLINE-TIMING-BELT-KIT-KIT028-/141066370007?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_15&hash=item20d835fbd7

First one is the timing belt alone.
The second one is the kit, which includes the tensioner.

Do I have to replace the timing belt using the whole kit?
tensioner doesn't seem to be giving any problems at the moment(no funny noises that I'm aware of)
So, I'm not sure whether it's necessary to replace the tensioner as well(regardless of what it looks like).

Any opinions, suggestions will be much appreciated.

Thanks guys

kevin07
27th April 2015, 08:26 AM
for such an important item I would be buying genuine or repco or something like that.

firm351
27th April 2015, 10:13 AM
I would be changing the belt and the tensioner. The extra cost is alot cheaper than the cost of repairs if the tensioner does fail later on. Buy a quality kit like gates or dayco.

4bye4
27th April 2015, 10:31 AM
Hi Dom, as above, replace the lot and use genuine or reputable brand. If you scrimp and save on this part of the motor it can cost you a complete engine.

dom14
27th April 2015, 02:31 PM
Thanks guys. Yeah, I can see, it's not a good idea to save money with cheaper parts when it comes to the internals like timing belt.

catchinjack
15th May 2015, 06:59 PM
I bought mine off ebay but was a good brand and still cheaper than any shop could supply, it came with ALL parts required, just wish the idiot I took it to actually used all the parts that I supplied, he failed to replace crank seal gasket because "it wasn't leaking" and then manager of store when approached said it wasn't his problem as mechanic left haha

mudnut
15th May 2015, 10:41 PM
As has been said, get a OE or

or a Gates. When refitting the

bottom cog, make sure you have

the two washers facing with

the lip away the belt or they will

chew into the belt.

To get the timing marks to

match I used a mirror.