PDA

View Full Version : Steering box replacement

Gettnstarted
26th April 2015, 04:52 PM
Have fitted new steering box and got no power steering ? Any help much appreciated ! steering alignment spot on !

BigRAWesty
26th April 2015, 05:02 PM
Probably an air lock in the pump. Make sure it's bleed or you'll cavitate the pump and shag it

Gettnstarted
26th April 2015, 05:12 PM
Bleed ? Just lock to lock jacked up ?

BigRAWesty
26th April 2015, 05:18 PM
Nope. Fill reservoir and let it gravity feed threw to return line which is loose sitting next to reservoir but below oil level.
If you've run it already with an air lock you may damaged it

Gettnstarted
26th April 2015, 05:50 PM
Cheers mate !! but Reservoir never drained so as long as pump feed line
( suction ) hadn't got air then cavitation shouldn't be a problem and after pump new flow should just push air back to reservoir ? i took line off but no oil gravity feeding ?

MudRunnerTD
26th April 2015, 06:02 PM
Jack the front off the ground and turn the wheel by hand lock to lock. Not the steering wheel, the wheel. Do that a couple of times and it should bleed out.

Gettnstarted
26th April 2015, 06:06 PM
All good just went lock to lock and kept topping up as needed and power steering is back :) so must've just not got around yet !!
Thanks for reply mate !

BigRAWesty
26th April 2015, 06:09 PM
All good just went lock to lock and kept topping up as needed and power steering is back :) so must've just not got around yet !! Thanks for reply mate ! Good to hear mate. If the pump is quiet then all good.

Can I ask what's wrong with the old one?

Gettnstarted
26th April 2015, 06:23 PM
Yeah I think I was just a bit quick to get concerned. Was worried I'd got a dud second hand box.
I twisted the pitman arm spline on the output shaft.

BigRAWesty
26th April 2015, 07:07 PM
Yeah I think I was just a bit quick to get concerned. Was worried I'd got a dud second hand box. I twisted the pitman arm spline on the output shaft.

Wow. That's pretty serious damage. How did that happen

Gettnstarted
26th April 2015, 07:40 PM
Just slid off ledge full lock to left and noticed steering wheel upside down. I still can't believe nothing else bent or broke first.

BigRAWesty
26th April 2015, 08:15 PM
Just slid off ledge full lock to left and noticed steering wheel upside down. I still can't believe nothing else bent or broke first.

That's bloody crazy.
owell jobs sorted now.

nissannewby
26th April 2015, 10:31 PM
That's bloody crazy.
owell jobs sorted now.

Fairly common with the smaller style boxes and running larger tyres.

BigRAWesty
27th April 2015, 08:40 AM
Fairly common with the smaller style boxes and running larger tyres.

Ok I thought the gu box was upgraded and was a common upgrade to a gq?
Or was there 2 gu styles?

Gettnstarted
27th April 2015, 03:56 PM
What do you mean smaller boxes ? Is there an upgrade ?
Also airbag light is on after changing and I've got a suspicion the bloody kids have thought it was fun to turn steering wheel unlimited times whilst steering shaft removed any ideas on that ?

the evil twin
27th April 2015, 04:02 PM
snip...
Also airbag light is on after changing and I've got a suspicion the bloody kids have thought it was fun to turn steering wheel unlimited times whilst steering shaft removed any ideas on that ?

Broken wire/pigtail in the steering column for the Drivers Air Bag

Gettnstarted
27th April 2015, 04:41 PM
Cheers thanks mate ! Was half expecting to hear something like that. Where would I find it ? Remove plastics ?

nissannewby
27th April 2015, 07:43 PM
Ok I thought the gu box was upgraded and was a common upgrade to a gq?
Or was there 2 gu styles?

Yeah the gu box is better. I had to go back through and find Gettnstarted intro thread to discover he had a gu. They arent immune to it just can take a bit more punishment.

Either way its a big hit to twist the splines. I twisted a bigger style box on my gq with 35's

BigRAWesty
27th April 2015, 08:31 PM
Broken wire/pigtail in the steering column for the Drivers Air Bag

Do they run fixes wires or a plate and contact setup like the horn usually is?