PDA

View Full Version : Advice needed - Angle grinder suddenly died

Cuppa
21st April 2015, 06:52 PM
I’ve had my Bosch GWS 8-125C angle grinder for 10 or 15 years without problem, but today it suddenly died mid job..... was only cutting some colorbond stormwater pipe so it wasn’t working especially hard. No smoke, no heat, I thought we’d had a power cut.

First thing I checked having removed the cover was the brushes but they look fine & have plenty of meat left on them.

The only thing which doesn’t look right is a ‘black box’ which has 5 wires coming out of it & is split or burst. A parts diagram online calls it a suppression filter. No.12 in the diagram here (http://www.toolspareparts.com.au/shop_image/category/GWS%208-125%20C%2006013777D7.pdf) - listed on another page (http://www.toolspareparts.com.au/page/shop/browse_parts/a/category/e/Bosch-Angle-Grinder-Spare-Parts-Bosch-GWS-8-125-C-06013777D7-Spare-Parts) of that site for $30.

The question I have is .... would a dead suppression filter be likely to stop the tool working? It seems like a reasonable punt, but I don’t want to waste $30. A replacement grinder (same model still available) is $169.

Can anyone knowledgable about these sort of things offer an opinion. I want to get it sorted asap. It’s a tool I rely on.

Here’s a pic of the offending part. (the moisture is a bit of WD40 I sprayed on it to try to make it easier to read what was printed on it - didn’t help much).

Ben-e-boy
21st April 2015, 06:56 PM
You might be able to get one from a motor rewinder, as long as all the cables can be reterminated ie terminals or lugs of some description

growler2058
21st April 2015, 06:56 PM
15 years!!............... Don't be a tight arse, time to buy a new one hahahahahhahaa

nissannewby
21st April 2015, 07:29 PM
How much meat are you talking on the brushes?

Cuppa
21st April 2015, 07:30 PM
Clearly Ben-e-boy is old school & Growler & Nisshead are merely products of our modern throwaway society.
It’s not just the money ..... making it last another 15 years is right on many levels if it can be done.

Cuppa
(Tightarse & proud of it!) :)

BigRAWesty
21st April 2015, 07:37 PM
Well the pic looks like you have a heck of a lot of build up internally. This could have created a short.
So pull it down further. Check all the windings for any black spots. The clear may have rubbed threw and shorted something in the coils.

If all looks good, and test it if you please, I'd say go the replacement part, and a good clean down with degreaser and contact cleaner lol.

Maxhead
21st April 2015, 07:39 PM
Hahah, 15 yrs is a pretty good time to get out of a grinder. Looking at the wiring you'll probably get electicuted next time you use it...LOL

Seriously, if you get it going and do not spent too much muney and time on it then you're on the winner...unless something else goes next week...hahah

Cuppa
21st April 2015, 07:39 PM
How much meat are you talking on the brushes?

9 or 10mm(ish)

TPC
21st April 2015, 07:42 PM
If the suppression filter is in series with the supply and has gone open circuit this would cause it to not work, hard to tell from the photo though.

Nightjar
21st April 2015, 07:46 PM
I'm with you Cuppa, still have my old Black & Decker 1/4" drill (50yo):tease: + 1/2" (40yo)
My advice would be to strip the grinder completely and clean up the commutator with emery tape then clean out the groves (a broken hack saw blade will do the trick.)
Make sure the brushes slide freely and the springs press them firmly onto the commutator, no sparking when power applied.
Give this a try before spending money.

Clunk
21st April 2015, 07:48 PM
I reckon youll be spending more than $30. Im with Growlers, just buy a new new one, why waste time effort and money............. it would be a different matter if it cost 500 a new one..

Missus wasnt to happy wiyh me the other week, her Dyson died after 10 years of use. She asked me what i was doing when she saw me stripping it apart, told her its just the motor burnt out, so may just need new bushes. ...... She mentions something about wanting a new vacuum cleaner. I told her if i can fix it then she can get a new one...... motor winding were stuffed, she was getting her hopes up, found a place in the UK selling genuine OE for $80 including shipping........ ta very muchly, I'll have one of those. A week later, vacuum was fix, i was happy id saved 800 on a new one and the thing worked like new.......... Was the missus happy, well not overly.

Anyway, all im trying to say is sometimes things are worth fixing, other times its not worth the time and effort

TPC
21st April 2015, 07:51 PM
I reckon youll be spending more than $30. Im with Growlers, just buy a new new one, why waste time effort and money............. it would be a different matter if it cost 500 a new one..

Missus wasnt to happy wiyh me the other week, her Dyson died after 10 years of use. She asked me what i was doing when she saw me stripping it apart, told her its just the motor burnt out, so may just need new bushes. ...... She mentions something about wanting a new vacuum cleaner. I told her if i can fix it then she can get a new one...... motor winding were stuffed, she was getting her hopes up, found a place in the UK selling genuine OE for $80 including shipping........ ta very muchly, I'll have one of those. A week later, vacuum was fix, i was happy id saved 800 on a new one and the thing worked like new.......... Was the missus happy, well not overly.

Anyway, all im trying to say is sometimes things are worth fixing, other times its not worth the time and effort

Wow, that is the most I have seen you write and make sense.

Ben-e-boy
21st April 2015, 07:54 PM
Clearly Ben-e-boy is old school & Growler & Nisshead are merely products of our modern throwaway society.
It’s not just the money ..... making it last another 15 years is right on many levels if it can be done.

Cuppa
(Tightarse & proud of it!) :)

Not old school, just a sparkie who works with fitter turners/machinist and boilermakers, I have repaired more grinders than I care to mention

growler2058
21st April 2015, 09:10 PM
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Bosch-125mm-Angle-Grinder-GWS-850-c-Set-Brand-New-In-Sealed-Box-/281666653311?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_15&hash=item4194a40c7f

Cuppa
21st April 2015, 09:57 PM
Thanks Growler. I saw that, but decided I needed to get things sorted quicker than waiting for that auction to end so I can get on with the job I started.

I’ve seen the the same angle grinder for sale for up to $229!

As it is I’ve taken a bit of a punt. I bought the suppressor for $40 including ($10 postage), & also bought a new grinder, same as the old one & as shown in your link. Comes with 4 grinding discs, 4 cutting discs, a 70mm wire cup brush, a rubber sanding backing plate, gloves & safety glasses for $113 delivered (from Melbourne so I may get it this week).

If the suppressor gets the old one going, having two grinders will often save the need for frequent disc swaps.

http://justtools.com.au/bosch-850w-angle-grinder-gws850ckit

kevin07
21st April 2015, 11:12 PM
cuppa something so old could be a broken wire anywhere and concealed as well. flogging a dead horse but there again ive got the old mans 1952 sher drill kit and 7" angle grinder although I have not plugged them in yet.

Cuppa
21st April 2015, 11:50 PM
I’ll give it a good check before fitting the new supressor & using it Kev, but I reckon it should be ok. It’s never been apart before & there is very little room for wires to move inside. Although dusty, everything appears as it should be on initial examination & the insulation on wires is solid.

I still use a 240v Black & Decker drill I bought more than 35 years ago in the UK when Black & Decker had a good reputation before they started building down to a price. Mind you it doesn’t get pulled out much since I got my first drill with a keyless chuck - a Metabo hammer drill, & even that has seen little use since I bought the Makita cordless drill.

threedogs
22nd April 2015, 10:51 AM
My 4" makita is 25 years old and I have a full aluminium 9" grinder from days of yore. could be B&D
Ill just polish and display it, Kids brought me a 9" grinder, rarely use it ,
As that is your go to tool I find my 125mm grinder more versitile, I use the 125mm with the 1mm cutting disc
and the 4" for Flap disc work, but the disc are more affordable these days not the $12 each they used to be.
Check the switch with a multi meter too just cause it clicks doesnt mean it works.
Also check wires where they exit machine, and naturally the plug. with you saying it just stopped thats what Id be checking