PDA

View Full Version : turbo oil seals?

luvpsi
20th April 2015, 07:15 PM
hey guys this gu ute i have bought is becoming a nightmare. i recently was doing some other checks to find some oil on the turbo. at first i thought it might be the oil drain gasket however i followed it and it seems to be coming from the 3 bolt inlet flange. this is bringing me some concern as there should not be oil coming from there. the crossover pipe ( non intercooled) seems to have a fair bit of oil in it. the alloy inlet pipe seems to have oil in it swell but not as much which is making me believe its not blow by but turbo seals. I'm going to vent my blowsy to atmosphere for a few days and clean the crossover pipe and inlet etc and see if that changes anything. if not it will be turbo seals.

now I'm not after big power etc i was only going to intercool later down track and get a bit more boost out of the stock turbo and that was it. what is my best option if the turbo seals are gone. rebuild stock turbo, upgrade to a slightly bigger turbo or source a second hand turbo. now funds will be a issue as I'm not rolling in it as much as i wish i was.

nissannewby
20th April 2015, 07:26 PM
Has it still got the crankcase breather hooked up in the pre turbo pipework?

luvpsi
20th April 2015, 07:28 PM
Has it still got the crankcase breather hooked up in the pre turbo pipework?

at this stage yeah but as i mentioned I'm going to block it off at the inlet piping and run the breather to atmosphere and clean out piping and run for a bit to see if its blow by or not

nissannewby
20th April 2015, 07:42 PM
How many k's does this thing have? 200k with the breather hooked up is enough to see residue and even a drip

luvpsi
20th April 2015, 07:46 PM
it seems to be a bit more than a drip its done 380 000kms when i got car a few weeks ago it had nothing then i looked today and it has been enough to run down near oil drain pipe car doesn't burn any oil as such as there doesn't seem to be any blue smoke

nissannewby
20th April 2015, 07:56 PM
More than likely if the turbo seals are gone there would be other symptoms as the oil pressure is greater.

luvpsi
20th April 2015, 08:30 PM
More than likely if the turbo seals are gone there would be other symptoms as the oil pressure is greater.

What are these symptoms

nissannewby
20th April 2015, 08:34 PM
What are these symptoms

Blueish tinge smoke, oil usage, Visible leaks etc etc.

luvpsi
20th April 2015, 09:51 PM
Blueish tinge smoke, oil usage, Visible leaks etc etc.

Ok I have not had it long enough to notice oil usage the only visible leaks are on the turbo as mentioned the smoke well I have not noticed blue tinge smoke as it doesn't do it without a load

luvpsi
20th April 2015, 10:25 PM
just had the mrs drive behind me and she reckons no smoke unless its a little bit of black smoke when changing gears or accelerating hard