PDA

View Full Version : ZD30 Engine Light and No Power

Remmy
20th April 2015, 01:15 PM
Having an issue with my ZD30 and a lack of power and the engine light coming on when you put the boot in to climb a hill. It revs to about 4k and the light comes on, boost is ok and there are plenty of revs but no power and EGTs are running at 400 deg. If I stop and turn off the engine light goes out but comes on under hard acceleration.

Any help would be great

Cheers

threedogs
20th April 2015, 01:35 PM
Try cleaning the MAF or swap with someone to try

Hodge
20th April 2015, 07:21 PM
Could it be limp mode? Does limp mode ever throw a engine light ?

Rock Trol
20th April 2015, 08:10 PM
Is it a Di or a CRD?

OrthO
8th May 2015, 01:21 AM
Had the same problem with mine, turned out it was a problem with the oil pump. Had it back to the dealership a few times, wasn't til I had some other issues that this one turned up. There was a couple of bolts that hold the oil pump in place that were incorrectly tensioned at some stage and were loose and a couple completely out, only became a problem under acceleration and then the engine light would come on. There were no error codes recorded and I had both top and bottom oil pressure switches replaced before we found out. As soon as the engine was turned off the light would be gone. I was told by my diesel mechanic that the best way to see if there was an issue was to use an oil pressure gauge and look for a drop of pressure under higher revs. My mechanic also believes that this could have been an issue from new out of the factory. The other sign that I had was a rattle that we just couldn't find which was related to the bolts in the end. Once that was fixed and replaced, no light and power back to normal.

mudski
8th May 2015, 05:36 PM
Had the same problem with mine, turned out it was a problem with the oil pump....
Yours would be a CRD yes?
Remmy's I think is a Di from memory. A few things we need to know Remmy. What boost level? When you get the no power. If you lift your foot off the go pedal and back on, do it go away? When was the last fuel filter change?

With limp mode, my Di never bought the engine light on. But since using the HPD maf housing, if I screw the boost up to 30 psi, the engine light would come on but still no limp. Lol. The engine light I think came on so you could see the overboost issue maybe via a scan tool of some sort.

Another thing that comes to mind is that your VP44 Injector pump has seen better days and can't push enough fuel at those revs. It maybe a fuel pressure code it might be putting up??? Mine does similar to yours but at around 4300rpm. Yes I like to rev mine.. Lol. From what I have found the IP can't keep up the fuel delivery if they have a few K's on them. So I will see what happens when I eventually get the lift pump mod done to pump up the fuel pressure.

First thing I'd try is what TD has suggested, cleaning the maf, or even getting hold of another to try. Just so you know...