PDA

View Full Version : Recommended service for a new purchase?

Daddy D.
19th April 2015, 06:39 AM
Hi everyone,

I m looking to purchase a 1999 2.8 td , what would be good to schedule as service after purchase?
The car has 225000 km on the clock, what needs to be done at this time?

Newbe, needs some pointers...

lucus30
19th April 2015, 09:35 AM
I can't comment about anything diesel related as mine is petrol. But I'd be changing all the fluids. Engine oil, transfer oil, transmission oil and your differential oils. I'd also be checking your brakes and rotors and possibly change the brake fluid.

Check all belts and hoses and possibly check your bushes for you panhards, radius arms etc.

Check for play in your wheel bearings, potentially repack them with grease. Replace them if they are buggered. Same goes for king pins

At least then you know when everything was last changed.

Edit: should mention your filters. Air,oil and fuel are a good idea too

threedogs
19th April 2015, 09:57 AM
MudNut will be able to tell you more, even though mine had full service history,
I changed all fluids and filters, to give me a fresh starting point and then did oil and filters every 5000,
I was able to put it up on a hoist to check bushes and all other components underneath, checked wheel bearings and brake pads.
Pretty much what Lucas said
I also service the Auto once a year

Daddy D.
19th April 2015, 04:52 PM
thanks guys for the good tips, I definitly gonna edit a check list and go through with my mechanic (at this point I can do very little myself).