PDA

View Full Version : Limp mode, can't fix.

Covo71
18th April 2015, 02:36 PM
Hi guys,
I have a 2004 3lt DI. I have done some mods. Blanking plate EGR, Dawes and needle valve, catch can, upgrade inter cooler, HPD MAF housing and air box lid, k&n air filter, 3" exhaust.
Max psi is at 15psi trying to eliminate boost.
Have an extra MAF sensor from another car that has no faults in other vehicle but my patrol still goes in to limp.
Need help to fix, driving me crazy.
HELP!!!
Scott

Sir Roofy
18th April 2015, 02:51 PM
Hi guys,
I have a 2004 3lt DI. I have done some mods. Blanking plate EGR, Dawes and needle valve, catch can, upgrade inter cooler, HPD MAF housing and air box lid, k&n air filter, 3" exhaust.
Max psi is at 15psi trying to eliminate boost.
Have an extra MAF sensor from another car that has no faults in other vehicle but my patrol still goes in to limp.
Need help to fix, driving me crazy.
HELP!!!
Scott

have you tried backing the dawes of to 14psi or even a bit lower all these 3ls have a mind of there own
disconnect the battery for an hour or so preferably over nite to reset the ecu if you have,nt already and see how that goes

threedogs
18th April 2015, 03:02 PM
X 2 lower your Max boost a little at a time , disconnect the battery for a while as you do it to'
re set the ECU

Covo71
18th April 2015, 03:27 PM
I am struggling to get it to max boost as it is hitting limp before hand. Anyone got an ECUTalk close to bathurst? Maybe the voltage is spiking? Any other way to check?

threedogs
18th April 2015, 03:32 PM
I was told those HPD maf housings were the bees knees for over boost issues.
open up the needle a bit to stall the spool up rate, are you hitting 15 off idle??

I think you need to take two spanners to suit the Dawes
and allen key for the NV and go for a drive,

Covo71
18th April 2015, 05:00 PM
Ok so this car is obviously perfectly suited to me as I worked backwards and think I may have fixed it. Screwed Dawes in completely and closed needle valve. My boost gauge only goes to twenty but it was obviously much higher and only went in to limp if I floored it while I was moving. Adjusted it out to 20psi and only opened the needle half a turn and it is all good. Not sure if running at 20psi is an issue but it seems to be working ok.
Thanks for answering once again my questions.

Rock Trol
18th April 2015, 08:41 PM
Hope its fixed now Covo71. When do you see 20 psi? Under heavy load or moderate load (slight hill) etc.? With the upgraded intercooler I think it should be OK but I have a CRD and they are different.

mudski
18th April 2015, 11:09 PM
Sorry for the late reply Scott. Been flat out... good to see hopefully things are sorted. Keep the maf I sent you bud and just send the one you dont need back. PM me your number mate and Ill be in touch mate.

Covo71
19th April 2015, 08:18 AM
Hope its fixed now Covo71. When do you see 20 psi? Under heavy load or moderate load (slight hill) etc.? With the upgraded intercooler I think it should be OK but I have a CRD and they are different.
On the highway in fith gear 2700rpm 15psi, pushing up hill takes it to 20psi. Only goes up to just over 400deg on a longer hill. I don't want to change it as it is all working.

Covo71
19th April 2015, 08:18 AM
Thanks heaps for your help Mudski.

Sorry for the late reply Scott. Been flat out... good to see hopefully things are sorted. Keep the maf I sent you bud and just send the one you dont need back. PM me your number mate and Ill be in touch mate.

threedogs
19th April 2015, 10:06 AM
On the highway in fith gear 2700rpm 15psi, pushing up hill takes it to 20psi. Only goes up to just over 400deg on a longer hill. I don't want to change it as it is all working.

I take it yours is a manual, that would sound about right compared to my auto in the lower range.
Like you said its working so dont alter it, but whats your boost at 100kph is that 2700rpm and 15psi.

Rock Trol
19th April 2015, 12:08 PM
Sounds OK to me. I am running about 18-19psi max and it sits around 15 when I am cruising at 100 kph as well. My engine seems to like this set up the best. Any less boost and the egt's go up/performance drops. I have thought of dialling in more boost but I don't want to over do it.