PDA

View Full Version : Dual Battery System or not.

wonder
17th April 2015, 06:42 PM
Picking up a new 3lt turbo diesel Patrol on Monday. I'm going to get a Safari snorkel fitted and I'm wondering if I should also get a dual battery system fitted as well, considering I am planning on taking an Engel fridge with us when we travel.

Thanks,
Wonder.

Winnie
17th April 2015, 06:45 PM
Picking up a new 3lt turbo diesel Patrol on Monday. I'm going to get a Safari snorkel fitted and I'm wondering if I should also get a dual battery system fitted as well, considering I am planning on taking an Engel fridge with us when we travel.

Thanks,
Wonder.

Absolutely mate, I'd say it's essential if travelling with a fridge. In my last patrol I did not have dual batteries and used the Engel, but it's not good for your cranking battery

oncedisturbed
17th April 2015, 07:06 PM
Other option is to get a battery box like an ARK pack, that way the fridge isn't confined solely to your car.

SonOf
17th April 2015, 07:17 PM
I would fit one. Not only for the fridge but for your spotties and accessories. You could also use it to run additional lighting for a camp site etc without the fear of sending your cranking battery dead

AB
17th April 2015, 07:20 PM
One of the very first mods for any dedicated enthusiast mate, you'll never look back with piece of mind you can start the car to drive home the next day!

Winnie
17th April 2015, 07:34 PM
I would fit one. Not only for the fridge but for your spotties and accessories. You could also use it to run additional lighting for a camp site etc without the fear of sending your cranking battery dead

I run my driving lights off the cranking battery, the car is running whenever those lights are on so it does not matter.

ed12371
18th April 2015, 10:33 PM

Thanks,
Wonder.

As everyone here has said, a second battery is always a great idea. Even if you keep the vehicle running with lights on you are still wearing down (shorten it's life) the cranking battery.

I basically run everything of the second battery and keep the cranking battery for just that. You will have to consider a battery isolating switch as well, if going for a second battery and a battery tray if you don't already have one?

Depending on which battery you go for (hopefully a good quality AGM deep cycle?) and the rest you will need it will cost a little bit but once you have it you'll never look back.

I have a 140 watt solar panel (off ebay) and that plugs into my dual sensing red arc isolator which keeps the battery charged / fridge running throughout the entire camping trip without having to starting the vehicle.

Rough costs for something good :

RED ARC BATTERY ISOLATOR SMART START SBI 12V 100A (SBI12) $130.00 or REDARC SBI12D DUAL SENSING BATTERY BATTERIES 12V 12 VOLT SOLINOID ISOLATOR SOLAR $149.00

D34M Optima battery - blue top $250 - $300 (these are good as they have 4 terminals).

Battery Tray - Projecta sell them from $25 up to $250

140 watt solar panel - $220.00

Regards Ed