PDA

View Full Version : GU Rear door frame cracking

Bruce McGregor
16th April 2015, 05:23 PM
I would imagine this is acommon fault with GU patrol wagons where the door frame cracks.
Is there a known cause and cure for this problem.

4bye4
16th April 2015, 06:17 PM
Hi Bruce. Can be caused or at least exacerbated by carrying large/heavy spare tyre, particularly on corrigated roads. It can be reinforced and welded. depends how good you are at panel work.

Clunk
16th April 2015, 06:31 PM
this might help

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/showthread.php?28237-GU-Patrol-Barn-Door-crack-repair-guide&highlight=CRACKING+DOOR

Rumcajs
16th April 2015, 06:33 PM
The cure is to remove the spare wheel(even the standards factory one) off the door . This stopped the crack on mine getting bigger immediately after I notcied the crack.
Another issue which may contribute is: do you have to slam the door shut really hard to get the warning or interior light to go off?
It means the door striker adjust ment is less than ideal and the the door actually hangs off the top striker flexing with spare wheel in where the reinforcing double skin of the door ends. Crack develops right next/alongside.

Regards

Rock Trol
16th April 2015, 07:50 PM
Only two options:
1. Weld and reinforce the door
2. Take wheel off back door. Carry on roof rack, inside cargo area or get a rear bar with wheel carrier (most expensive option).

I opted for the wheel carrier/rear bar but it is expensive and heavy. If I had to do it again I might pick another option.

HV2002
17th April 2015, 01:43 AM
Welcome mate, this is a grate forum heaps of info and friendly people willing to help you out.