PDA

View Full Version : Soft or hard...?

Bloodyaussie
14th April 2015, 09:14 AM
No not suspension but beds.. While camping up in NSW last week I was on my camp bed with my swag on top and my back was pretty good for the days we were there, now last night (still bloody tired) I fell asleep early and slept for nearly 10 hours and woke to a bloody sore back again.. my bed is soft but with heaps of support.

Now I weigh 100kg and trying to figure out what is right for me... the last 2 mattress's we have bought do not seem right to me?

The only problem I have with a hard mattress is my shoulders are stuffed from racing and my arms go to sleep.... cannot win..lol

Rossco is a twig of a man and can sleep on a wafer fin piece of cloth and he is comfy... he is not human.. ha ha ha.

rusty_nail
14th April 2015, 09:27 AM
Rossco is a twig of a man and can sleep on a wafer fin piece of cloth and he is comfy... he is not human.. ha ha ha.

haha, too funny mate, sorry i cant offer any advice for u but have to agree... Bloody Rossco hey

Clunk
14th April 2015, 09:30 AM
Memory foam mattress mate

Bloodyaussie
14th April 2015, 09:37 AM
Memory foam mattress mate

Tried that.... seem to make it worse.

Sir Roofy
14th April 2015, 09:58 AM
egg shell foam helps with the shoulders but your ageing fast as my shoulders and arms do the same but think that's because I did a bit of rodeo when younger bulls and saddle bronc

Bloodyaussie
14th April 2015, 10:03 AM
egg shell foam helps with the shoulders but your ageing fast as my shoulders and arms do the same but think that's because I did a bit of rodeo when younger bulls and saddle bronc

Yes mate I am... made the mistake of starting work when I was 13 and at 14 I was riding horses for a job with a few bad falls.

Never want my kids to do the sort of work I have as the body will not make it to 70 before retirement....lol

Its funny after such a good nights sleep that was very much needed I am so sore in the back.... blah!!!

Sir Roofy
14th April 2015, 10:09 AM
Yes mate I am... made the mistake of starting work when I was 13 and at 14 I was riding horses for a job with a few bad falls.

Never want my kids to do the sort of work I have as the body will not make it to 70 before retirement....lol

Its funny after such a good nights sleep that was very much needed I am so sore in the back.... blah!!!

cant beat a good egg shell foam though

graeme1969
14th April 2015, 10:36 AM
We had what i thought was a very comfy pillow top mattress, but awoke with the same symptoms as you. After putting up with it for a couple of years ditched the pillow top and went for a firm mattress and all good.

Sir Roofy
14th April 2015, 11:25 AM
cant beat a good egg shell foam though

as it is there on special at spotlight queen size $35

Clunk
14th April 2015, 11:48 AM
I found those Tempur mattresses too soft, so got one of these http://www.harveynorman.com.au/comforpedic-by-beautyrest-daydream-29-queen-mattress.html . Bit firmer for the back but good for my neck and shoulders, had it almost a year now and so far so good

nissannewby
14th April 2015, 12:38 PM
Apparently you can sleep to well. The problem is when you sleep really well you dont move. Normally what suppose to happen is you sleep just enough to get rest but not enough that you will move if in an awkward position.

Do you sleep with a pillow?

threedogs
14th April 2015, 01:38 PM
Jonathon go to Beds for Backs thats all they do,
you can have a soft mattress and still have support
At camp I have inflatable [100mm]on a stretcher and I feel great in the morning.
not so in the camper with the same inflatable mattress as the floor is timber flooring
Take from that what you will

Bloodyaussie
14th April 2015, 01:51 PM
Apparently you can sleep to well. The problem is when you sleep really well you dont move. Normally what suppose to happen is you sleep just enough to get rest but not enough that you will move if in an awkward position.

Do you sleep with a pillow?

Yes a bloody expensive one... ha ha ha.

Normally I cannot sleep on one side too long as my hips hurt or my arm falls asleep.. I am almost never allowed to sleep on my back for some strange reason?

Those mattresses you shared Adrian are on special at 50%off but we are still broke..... lol I cant win.

threedogs
14th April 2015, 01:57 PM
Sounds like a pillow problem, buy the best pillow you can afford you might be surprised

BigRAWesty
14th April 2015, 02:03 PM
What about a firm base with soft pillow top.
I like firm but wife not so much. And I also suffer from dead arms.

So after changing to this is still happens but nowhere near as often. And I still get the back support

Bloodyaussie
14th April 2015, 02:05 PM
The mattress we have at the moment cost a small fortune and is a pillow top... I wish there was a try before you buy option on buying a mattress.

Winnie
14th April 2015, 02:13 PM
We have what I believe to be the softest mattress in the world and it is crap! We end up sleeping on top of each other in the middle because we sink in... ha ha ha

threedogs
14th April 2015, 02:15 PM
"Dead arm" is a sign of old age lol lol
I sleep on a King coil Queen mattress "not happy Jan"
as thats what insurance said to get,
Might get another mattress soon

threedogs
14th April 2015, 02:19 PM
We have what I believe to be the softest mattress in the world and it is crap! We end up sleeping on top of each other in the middle because we sink in... ha ha ha

Not so much a bad thing eh lol
meeting in the middle

nissannewby
14th April 2015, 02:42 PM

Normally I cannot sleep on one side too long as my hips hurt or my arm falls asleep.. I am almost never allowed to sleep on my back for some strange reason?

Those mattresses you shared Adrian are on special at 50%off but we are still broke..... lol I cant win.

Try without the pillow...

Bloodyaussie
14th April 2015, 02:52 PM
Try without the pillow...

Thought about that... may take some getting use to that's for sure.

Clunk
14th April 2015, 02:56 PM

Yeah we got ours on special, pay monthly. Had to as our other mattress was just painful to sleep on. We also got high loft memory foam pillows made by the same company. Very expensive at $250 each but got our on a 2 for one deal but damn they're comfortable. Used to have one of those contoured pillows but did no good.

Clunk
14th April 2015, 03:05 PM
Thought about that... may take some getting use to that's for sure.

with out a pillow, you may find it stuffs your shoulders more. You'll end up sleeping on your back more often and piss the missus off even more lol

You need to spend a good 15-20 minutes at least laying on a mattress to see if it may work out.

Winnie
14th April 2015, 03:09 PM
Without a pillow is bad for your neck.

Maxhead
14th April 2015, 03:55 PM
Last couple of mattresses i have had have been hard (7 or 8/10). Make sure they are 5 or 7 zone pocket spring mattresses too as they need different type support for different weights across your body..

Always sleep very well . Hmm what else

.....on the move

nissannewby
14th April 2015, 04:21 PM
Without a pillow is bad for your neck.

You can roll a towel or something similar to support your neck.

It cant be all bad how many babies sleep with pillows? ....

Clunk
14th April 2015, 05:18 PM
You can roll a towel or something similar to support your neck.

It cant be all bad how many babies sleep with pillows? ....

but their heads are bigger than their bodies

Winnie
14th April 2015, 05:25 PM
Yeah an adult head weighs about 5Kg too

nissannewby
14th April 2015, 05:29 PM
but their heads are bigger than their bodies

Isn't jono's? Lol

Winnie
14th April 2015, 05:30 PM
Isn't jono's? Lol

Yeah but weighs less than the 5Kg... full of air!!

Bloodyaussie
14th April 2015, 05:30 PM
Isn't jono's? Lol

Bwa ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha.......

Clunk
14th April 2015, 05:51 PM
Yeah but weighs less than the 5Kg... full of air!!

His heads like a weather balloon

NissanGQ4.2
14th April 2015, 06:07 PM
Come back to NSW and sleep on your camp bed, problem solved.

Oh and were was my visit while in NSW?

Bloodyaussie
14th April 2015, 06:25 PM
Come back to NSW and sleep on your camp bed, problem solved.

Oh and were was my visit while in NSW?

Mate we were under the pump time wise and The Blue Mountains were a bloody long way away...?

Plus the fuel was paid for by Matts boss thats one of the reasons we went when we did.

NissanGQ4.2
14th April 2015, 07:08 PM
Mate we were under the pump time wise and The Blue Mountains were a bloody long way away...?

Plus the fuel was paid for by Matts boss thats one of the reasons we went when we did.

excuses, excuses....... I know there is no love

Clunk
14th April 2015, 07:38 PM
excuses, excuses....... I know there is no love

talking of which, did you manage to sort out a sim card yet?

NissanGQ4.2
14th April 2015, 08:12 PM
talking of which, did you manage to sort out a sim card yet?

nah mate, going up the road 2morrow arvo 2 sort it out, rang them this arvo and the cost is nothing, just haven't gotten my lazy old ass there!

Gecko17
14th April 2015, 08:55 PM
It really depends on a number of factors Jono, when it comes to choosing a bed for you... I am 6' and 120kg. I have a gel bed that is firm enough to support me and soft enough to let me sleep on my side. I hate sleeping on my back, as it is bad for my health. (Every time I do, the Minister of War tries to smother me with a pillow!) I prefer to sleep on my side but keep cutting of circulation to my arms. I have dislocated both shoulders, several times playing rugby, and need the mattress soft.
About the only way I know of sleeping without a pillow is by sleeping on your front and that can lead to a stiff neck.
If funds are limited, I suggest the eggshell underlay, as a starting place.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Clunk
14th April 2015, 10:10 PM
It really depends on a number of factors Jono, when it comes to choosing a bed for you... I am 6' and 120kg. I have a gel bed that is firm enough to support me and soft enough to let me sleep on my side. I hate sleeping on my back, as it is bad for my health. (Every time I do, the Minister of War tries to smother me with a pillow!) I prefer to sleep on my side but keep cutting of circulation to my arms. I have dislocated both shoulders, several times playing rugby, and need the mattress soft.
About the only way I know of sleeping without a pillow is by sleeping on your front and that can lead to a stiff neck.
If funds are limited, I suggest the eggshell underlay, as a starting place.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Exactly, a fix for one may not work for another. ........... so toughen up Jono ys big poof and harden the feck up ;):D

Winnie
14th April 2015, 10:11 PM
Exactly, a fix for one may not work for another. ........... so toughen up Jono ys big poof and harden the feck up ;):D

Him or his bed? Haha.
We flipped our mattress over so that the pillow top is on the bottom and it is so much better... Hahaha

MudRunnerTD
14th April 2015, 10:42 PM
You
I found those Tempur mattresses too soft, so got one of these http://www.harveynorman.com.au/comforpedic-by-beautyrest-daydream-29-queen-mattress.html . Bit firmer for the back but good for my neck and shoulders, had it almost a year now and so far so good

I have had my Tempur matress for 15 years and it's as good today as the day we bought it. Best thing I ever did. I also use a Tempur pillow and it's great.

I use a Memory foam 70mm matress topper in the canper and it's uncomparable to the Tempur.

The Tempur pillow has a large side and a small side for different neck support options. I grew up using 2 pillows cause that's what the parents said was right. I now use the Tempur pillow on the shallow side for perfect support. But the Tempur matress absorbs a fair bit of shoulder. In the swag I need more pillow.

You tend to not roll over during sleep on the Tempur as your fully supported and your body doesn't ache so I can wake in the same position as i fell asleep.

You really should use the tempur matress on a slat base. The Tempur designed slat looks wicked too. I don't have it but would love it.

My next matress will be a Tempur King Size. Best money can buy, best money I've spent. Worth every cent. They designed and developed the Tempur for NASA and the Space Shuttle. Love it.

Clunk
15th April 2015, 03:27 PM
You

I have had my Tempur matress for 15 years and it's as good today as the day we bought it. Best thing I ever did. I also use a Tempur pillow and it's great.

I use a Memory foam 70mm matress topper in the canper and it's uncomparable to the Tempur.

The Tempur pillow has a large side and a small side for different neck support options. I grew up using 2 pillows cause that's what the parents said was right. I now use the Tempur pillow on the shallow side for perfect support. But the Tempur matress absorbs a fair bit of shoulder. In the swag I need more pillow.

You tend to not roll over during sleep on the Tempur as your fully supported and your body doesn't ache so I can wake in the same position as i fell asleep.

You really should use the tempur matress on a slat base. The Tempur designed slat looks wicked too. I don't have it but would love it.

My next matress will be a Tempur King Size. Best money can buy, best money I've spent. Worth every cent. They designed and developed the Tempur for NASA and the Space Shuttle. Love it.

Like i said before, what might be good for one might not be good for another. Just found the Tempur mattresses to soft for me, and tried their different thicknesses and densities. Used to have one of the contoured memory foam pillows but just couldnt get on with it, so bought hiloft memory foam pillow from the same manufacturer as my mattress.... bloody love it now

threedogs
15th April 2015, 05:50 PM
still reckon go to Beds for backs, they can dial in a mattress to suit you and your wife

mudski
15th April 2015, 07:23 PM
still reckon go to Beds for backs, they can dial in a mattress to suit you and your wife

Definitely. Albeit expensive their beds are awesome. Because of my spinal bifida in my lower back it used to take me 30 minutes from waking up to just sitting upright on the bed. Now I can get out straight away. But I reckon I have the same shoulder injury as BA, my left shoulder hurts like hell when in bed and lieing on my side. I am trying to get myself to sleep on my back. Not used to this but I'm working on it.