PDA

View Full Version : AVM Hubs

Evo
13th April 2015, 02:59 AM
Hi guys,

Just wondering what people think.

Was given a set of AVM freewheeling hubs, so, for something to do, I stripped them down, and gave them a good clean.
They were all good, one had some crud in it, but I'm putting that down to one of the top cap bolts missing.
Put them back together, very, very lightly smearing all the mating parts with some grease using my finger.
Tested them in hand and are nice and smooth, lock in and out with a click.

With the one bolt missing, I'm going to be looking for an alternative to the AVM ones as I've heard things, and if I can find something suitable, I will replace all 12 plus get spares.

Now, do I keep these as a spare set, or is is worth my effort to get them put on to replace the factory auto locking hubs that are on the Patrol now?
If so, or if not, why?
And if it is worth putting them on, do I get 0.5mm gasket paper and cut my own for the hub to AVM flange, or just run a smear of RTV type gasket goo?

Cheers,

Evo

jay see
13th April 2015, 04:28 AM
Haven't had much to do with these, so can't really comment.

I'll keep them as a spare set.

If it ain't broken, don't fix it.

Bigcol
13th April 2015, 07:57 AM
the AMV ones are not as strong as the original GQ ones - and are prone to breaking - under use

even the original ones can fail, but I would keep them as spares.........

mudski
13th April 2015, 08:29 AM
The Factory GU auto hubs I think, are better than the AVM hubs, when they are converted from auto to manual... I replaced my autos with AVM hubs and I didn't like the tiny tamper proof screws used. They are tapered and easily get crud caught behind the taper, then they lock up and you will have a bugger of a time removing it. It makes a simple wheel bearing nip up go form a 10 minute job to 20 minutes plus if one of the screws is farked.

lucus30
13th April 2015, 11:15 AM
I run AVM blacks and mine are fine. I've undone them a number of times for wheel bearings etc.

Use gasket goo or just use a neutral cure silicon, scrap the shitty gasket and make sure its all clean

I honestly don't mind they are a bit weaker as they essentially become the weak link. I'd rather break a hub than a CV