PDA

View Full Version : 3.0L Replacement Intercooler

Shaun blank
11th April 2015, 06:14 PM
Just found the usual crack in my 2003 3.0L IC, just woundering weather its worth spending $1000+ on a hi flow IC. Do they make much performance increase or can you do the same with a cheaper aftermarket replacement with a thermo fan?

4bye4
11th April 2015, 06:27 PM
Decide if you want to start mods or just replace the I/C. Just make sure you get a fully tigged (welded) one not the crimped one that is OEM. Not sure which state your in but I got one here in Perth from Brownes radiators for considerably less than the OEM model.
http://www.brownsradiators.com.au/shop/index.php?page=more&id=CACNIS1024

Lexx
11th April 2015, 06:46 PM
I got a significantly larger outback 4x4 IC with thermo fan, it made a huge difference for me, but I also did a full NADS fit out at the same time, once you start, you should really do the whole shebang. Take a look at your intake manifold, it may need cold tanking due to the sludge!

Rock Trol
11th April 2015, 08:34 PM
I think if you are heading in the direction of chipping the motor then a larger I/C is worth it. If its going to remain standard then a tig welded standard one will do.

Covo71
11th April 2015, 09:23 PM
I got tig welded from diesel smart for just under $500. Looks pretty good. Temp has not gone over 450deg. I would presume it is doing it's job.

threedogs
12th April 2015, 08:44 AM
IMO I dont think the gains are there for the price they want for a larger IC.
As COVO says temps stay below 450C, the money you save could be spent
elsewhere, say towards a chip. Look for a second hand one as they too are getting pretty pricey.
Jury is out if the fan is worthwhile, maybe for sand work, again the gains may be small

Wetty
12th April 2015, 10:09 AM
Have a Cross Country IC, it made a little bit of difference to the engine but not the difference I was expecting. I did have the fan under it but I have since removed it as it was stopping airflow at hwy speeds my temps were around 350 at 110kph and with no fan they're around 290. A larger bonnet scoop to force more air through the IC would be a better investment as far as bang for buck goes, but you still want to get a TIG welded IC to stop air leaks.
Cheers
Andrew
BTW, mine is a 2003 model as well. . . .

threedogs
12th April 2015, 10:28 AM
Have a Cross Country IC, it made a little bit of difference to the engine but not the difference I was expecting. I did have the fan under it but I have since removed it as it was stopping airflow at hwy speeds my temps were around 350 at 110kph and with no fan they're around 290. A larger bonnet scoop to force more air through the IC would be a better investment as far as bang for buck goes, but you still want to get a TIG welded IC to stop air leaks.
Cheers
Andrew
BTW, mine is a 2003 model as well. . . .

Sorry forgot to add I have the higher ARE scoop as well
temps around town are 200c and 320c approx on the freeway

Lexx
12th April 2015, 07:12 PM
I've found that the highway temp for me is around 290 as well on the hwy, with the fan on. However, now it's been said, might chuck a switch in and see what happens at fwy speeds. I find the fan works well in traffic and slow heavy work on hot days. But, every engine is different I reckon.

the evil twin
12th April 2015, 07:20 PM
If your engine loads are mainly below 40 K's average IE 'low and slow' a fan helps and big scoops do squat
If your engine loads are mainly above 60 KPH IE towing or cruising then fans do squat and the big scoops make a considerable difference
If you put in both you get the advantages of both
If you put in a fan get the biggest that will fit and set it as a puller for the best results

Winnie
12th April 2015, 07:23 PM
If your engine loads are mainly below 40 K's average IE 'low and slow' a fan helps and big scoops do squat
If your engine loads are mainly above 60 KPH IE towing or cruising then fans do squat and the big scoops make a considerable difference
If you put in both you get the advantages of both
If you put in a fan get the biggest that will fit and set it as a puller for the best results

Do you think that fan restricts air flow at high speed? I have a fan and a big scoop but have been thinking of removing the fan

mudski
12th April 2015, 07:43 PM
I wouldn't think the air flow restriction would be anything noticeable. You have it on there, you might aswell leave it I reckon.

Covo71
12th April 2015, 09:28 PM
No fan on mine and only gets up to 450 if pushing up biggish hill. Generally stays under 300. Mine is a late 2004.

the evil twin
12th April 2015, 11:20 PM
Do you think that fan restricts air flow at high speed? I have a fan and a big scoop but have been thinking of removing the fan

If you have a big scoop and a fan the amount of restriction caused by the fan would be all but neglible.
IMHO if you don't need the fan then take it off.

I removed mine once I stopped doing lots of low range stuff but it never caused an issue at cruise anyway and that was a 9 inch puller on a factory 'cooler, scoop and a chipped engine turning 33's