PDA

View Full Version : $15000.00 to spend what would you do?

Lumbnuts
10th April 2015, 12:26 PM
Ok so if you had 15k to buy and build a touring 4wd what would you buy? what would you do?

threedogs
10th April 2015, 12:30 PM
GQ TD 4.2 with 2" lift and 285 tyres, awning and cargo barrier
and travel as light as you can, will leave plenty of change for
long range tanks and a winch if you think you'll need it

BigRAWesty
10th April 2015, 12:38 PM
A tidy td42 gq turbo with 3"lift and 33's..
Winch bar and winch.
Draw system
Air on board system
Roof rack
Uhf and hf radios
Long range sub tank.

That should see fit to the 15g

Gecko17
10th April 2015, 01:14 PM
What they said...

FNQGU
10th April 2015, 01:29 PM
HF radio? Are you sure that is of real value for a startup? Definitely something to consider for remote stuff.

Otherwise I agree, a good clean GQ 4.2 diesel, with bar, rack and a 2" lift with 285's. You may find a good one without a turbo, and it is always something you could add later.
UHF radio;
Air compressor - I find the air compressor is the single most used bit of kit I have, so definitely include a good one when you are putting together your recovery gear.
A long range tank is a good addition and;
Spotties if you intend on covering the miles at night.

If you have any change, put it into your suspension and brakes right from the start, unless it has already been done. Otherwise, start collecting spare bits and pieces like radiator hoses, fan belts, tools etc.

Cuppa
10th April 2015, 01:41 PM
with 3"lift and 33's..

For touring? Why?

What sort of fit out depends very much on both where you want to go, (blacktop with occasional off road excursions, long but reasonably well travelled dirt roads or tracks where you may not see another vehicle for days at a time), your travelling style (eg, moving on most days vs staying put for a week or two at a time), how long you want to go for, how long you want to be able to stay bush between re-supplies & what level of comfort you are seeking, travelling alone or with other vehicles, how many in your vehicle etc etc.

It’s hard to know if you haven’t previously travelled much but nevertheless it important to nut it out before you start fitting a vehicle out, or it’s easy to waste the resources you have
If you can say more about those things you will get answers from others which best suit your needs.

Different folk have different priorities so what suits one won’t suit another.

Other things not yet mentioned which I consider essential (for the way in which we travel) are:

An awning/rain & sun shade
An electrical system to run a fridge/freezer without need to regularly visit caravan parks
Sufficient water & food storage
A set up which is quick & easy enough to prevent it becoming a chore if moving on most days.
Recovery gear including a winch (because we intend travelling alone in remote areas).

Generally lp gas stoves are the simplest as an alternative to the camp fire, although there are a few alternatives.

Hot water - just go to a caravan park for a shower every few days, have a swim or have other means of heating water

Sleeping accommodation can be, a mattress under a tarp, swag, ground tent, rooftop tent, camper trailer or caravan.

Consider your toilet needs. Wives & girlfriends often prefer greater comfort/privacy. Don’t add to the crap that others leave - consider a portapotti or similar.

Around Australia servos can generally be found every 300kms or so unless going more remote & then the long range tanks become highly desirable, but for the routes that 95% of travellers take they are not needed.

In remote areas emergency communication is important. Minimum should be an epirb. After that you have the choice between UHF (CB) & HF radios, mobile phones, satellite phones & a few gadgets which combine communications & tracking. A Telstra mobile phone will give you the best phone coverage. Much of the main highways are covered & anywhere within 25kms of a town or a mine generally.

There really is an infinite way of setting up for touring & many more things to consider. It may feel overwhelming at the beginnng but it really is worthwhile working out what will suit you before starting a fit out. Avoid the temptation to buy *everything* just in case . .... doing that is expensive & heavy & I can guarantee that those who do find that they don’t use half the stuff they’ve lugged all round the country.

Check out as many other set ups as you can first. Go camping with the bare minimum & suss out what is important to you. Whatever you end up with will be a compromise between many things.

Winnie
10th April 2015, 02:08 PM
For touring? Why?.

I'm sure you agree that suspension should be upgraded from standard for any real touring, a small lift is even better than stock!
Bigger tyres are better for a number of reasons, the larger width is the most important thing for touring I would say.

Ben-e-boy
10th April 2015, 02:15 PM
15k wouldn't be enough, that would only cover a GQ td42 suspension, tyres, basic engine mods with nothing left over for touring mods and accessories

Winnie
10th April 2015, 02:40 PM
15k wouldn't be enough, that would only cover a GQ td42 suspension, tyres, basic engine mods with nothing left over for touring mods and accessories

You could get an awesome TD42 GQ with tyres and suspension pretty well setup for 10k,with 5k leftover for whatever else needs to be spent.

threedogs
10th April 2015, 02:55 PM
$15k was the limit thats why I was wondering if the expense of a winch was neccessary.
But I would probably add a 80watt panel to compliment a dual battery system. As we all know you can spend $$$$$$ and still not be finished.
But $15 grand would be a budget tourer, Ive seen backpackers buy an old Tojo for $1000 do a lap and sell or take it to the tip when finished.
So recapping as some went over budget, long range tanks a must IMO. Awning not expensive but great for keeping out of the outback sun.
Totally agree on the compressor plenty of uses when touring for sure, A decent ice box reason being I'd go over budget buying an Engel or similar . As Im travelling I need fuel every other day so ICE is no problem, and if I have water issues [radiator] I have plenty of water to top up. You cant do that with an engel.
Wont need driving lights as night driving outback is a no no. 285s as that size is every where even if stuck you can throw on a 7,50 x 16.
Think that makes a decent tourer depending on the value on the Patrol, Im hoping the Patrol will alreaady have a bull bar.

EDIT and a decent window tint

mudnut
10th April 2015, 02:56 PM
If you reckon you need a lift, go the 2 inch first as that is only springs shocks and brake bias bracket. If you find that you need a higher lift, then flog off the 2 inch stuff and go higher. As has been said, you should get a very good GQ for your budget.

mudski
10th April 2015, 04:48 PM
After reading the heading my first thought were to bet the lot on black. Then I opened the thread up...
What do you want first? GQ or GU? You'd get more for your money in a Q thats for sure, but a GU is more comfy for touring. Buuuut you'd have to spend more.

BigRAWesty
10th April 2015, 05:50 PM
Again depends whole and solely on the scope.
I have a 2" atm and yes it's fine.
If I had my time again I'd go 3 straight up. Gives that bit more flex, which means more traction more often.
With the budget yea probably 2" as its simple springs and shocks.

A winch though if self touring is must. You need to be self sufficient. Max tracks are great but are limited.

A decent bull bar. Well there is some big wildlife out there. And live stock.

Decent tyres will pay for themselves.
Again depending on the scope. But a set of 33's not only gives a nicer ride, gives that little extra diff clearance and really that's were the most benefit it.

It really is an open question.
If I had $15g to do everything then my list is what id do.

Most on car sales atm will see you in a td42 turbo with steel bar, winch, roof rack, and snorkel for $11-12g..
4g is a good budget for the rest. If your clever.

Cuppa
10th April 2015, 06:03 PM
I'm sure you agree that suspension should be upgraded from standard for any real touring, a small lift is even better than stock!
Bigger tyres are better for a number of reasons, the larger width is the most important thing for touring I would say.

I can’t disagree ‘cos I have no idea what standard suspension is like on a Patrol having only had OME & Lovells but whether an upgrade is needed depends, I would have thought on the definition of ‘real’ touring. If the stock suspension is truly crap then upgrading to do things like the Simpson or the Canning would of course make sense, but if the touring is going to be what 95% of the travelling population do then an upgrade may not be the highest priority.

Lots of people like to have a 4wd to tour with no intention of getting into the gnarly stuff.

Same with the lift. It’s reasonable to argue that any stock 4wd would benefit from a lift but again with a $15k budget, is it a high priority ...... & anyway why a 3” lift & not a legal 2” one. If the toughest driving expected were, for example the Birdsville or Oodnadatta tracks, or the Gibb River Road a lift isn’t a necessity. I doubt that all those Britz Troopy campers getting around have a lift.

Bigger tyres for touring are not something I would suggest are a good idea. Wider tyres are very useful in some situations, but for touring it is generally better to compromise in the interests of fuel economy.

I expect we are probably not really in disagreement Winnie, just that we are each thinking of different meanings of ‘touring’ - a good example of needing to know more detail about the actual intended usage.

Winnie
10th April 2015, 06:12 PM
Well when you think that stock Springs will be 20 years old roughly, I think you're right cuppa... I have a 3" lift and there are not many tracks in the high country I cannot do. I would only suggest a 2" for touring though.

nissannewby
10th April 2015, 06:21 PM
You would be surprised where 2" of lift and 33's will get you. Especially with what is available today. Getting the correct gear in the front will see a 2" lifted out perform a 3" lifted one that doesn't have the right mods.

I must come down there as you are shit out of luck getting a well setup tidy gq for 15k up here.

DX grunt
10th April 2015, 06:25 PM
Welcome to the world of touring.

Here's a list to tantalize your taste buds. Don't spend all your money at once. lol

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/showthread.php?17709-The-mother-of-all-camping-lists

Take care out there.

Rossco

AB
10th April 2015, 06:33 PM
If it's a long term investment you want to use and tour for many years I would...

Be all over every car sale avenue for months until you find an honest stockish low km mid 200,000km td42 gq for around 10k

Spend the 5k on 2" ome gu suspension, snorkel and 33" tyres, UHF etc Budget done but a great start to your journey!

Ben-e-boy
10th April 2015, 06:49 PM
You could get an awesome TD42 GQ with tyres and suspension pretty well setup for 10k,with 5k leftover for whatever else needs to be spent.

Going by what's on offer at the moment, I couldn't do it for that. Not to build what I want in a tourer.

Maxhead
10th April 2015, 06:57 PM
Going by what's on offer at the moment, I couldn't do it for that. Not to build what I want in a tourer.

Yeah but not everyone is after a extreme rock crawling , trophy vehicle, tough truck that can handle a track or two ...lol

Ben-e-boy
10th April 2015, 07:38 PM
Yeah but not everyone is after a extreme rock crawling , trophy vehicle, tough truck that can handle a track or two ...lol

Maybe not, I have the ute for play, but a now over 5 year build time on the ute has taught me what can be done to build a tourer that will perform, be tough, reliable and legal

growler2058
10th April 2015, 07:54 PM
Plus turbo plus drawers plus cargo barrier
http://i1189.photobucket.com/albums/z428/GrowlersGQ/FORUM%20MEETUP/AgathaFlexinit.jpg (http://s1189.photobucket.com/user/GrowlersGQ/media/FORUM%20MEETUP/AgathaFlexinit.jpg.html)

DX grunt
10th April 2015, 08:01 PM
Those wheels are too wobbly for me. I feel sick. lol