PDA

View Full Version : GQ 2.8 Glow Plugs

BSRT.Beast
9th April 2015, 07:34 PM
http://www.onlineautoparts.com.au/buy/6-glow-plug-set-relay-conversion-kit-patrol-gq-y60-rd28t-diesel-turbo-nissan/ZPN-02526

Anyone done this conversion from 6.5v to 12v ??? and is it easy to do ????

Yendor
12th April 2015, 12:27 AM
There are heaps of threads on forms regarding modifying the GQ 2.8 glow plugs to 12v type.

By the looks of it this kit would simplify it.

BSRT.Beast
12th April 2015, 03:18 PM
Kit is ordered ..... I'll follow up on how easy or difficult it is

BSRT.Beast
15th April 2015, 03:13 PM
Kit arrived yesterday and If I wasnt a complete noob when it comes to diesel's and wasn't afraid of stuffing shit up I'd have a go but I'm hoping a mate will come over tonight.

noel_w
13th May 2015, 03:17 PM
How did it go?
I had my 2.8 in at a mechanics getting fixed for a smoky & rough cold start problem which they couldn't fix. They sent it off to a diesel place who (without my consent) changed the whole shebang over to a 12v system with aftermarket controller. My mechanic tried to charge me $1200 for the conversion until I reminded him I had not authorised the conversion and he hadn't even talked to me first before they did it. The original problem was still there after I picked it up as well so it was a a case of "I told you so". Ended up being a faulty (intermittant) glow plug which another diesel place found. Ended up with a free conversion I guess. Haven't had a problem since (75K ago)

BSRT.Beast
22nd May 2015, 05:55 PM
How did it go?
I had my 2.8 in at a mechanics getting fixed for a smoky & rough cold start problem which they couldn't fix. They sent it off to a diesel place who (without my consent) changed the whole shebang over to a 12v system with aftermarket controller. My mechanic tried to charge me $1200 for the conversion until I reminded him I had not authorised the conversion and he hadn't even talked to me first before they did it. The original problem was still there after I picked it up as well so it was a a case of "I told you so". Ended up being a faulty (intermittant) glow plug which another diesel place found. Ended up with a free conversion I guess. Haven't had a problem since (75K ago)

Nice one in a roundabout sorta way ........ I haven't done it yet been to busy sorting out the BS wiring job the young fella who I got it from did it been about 7 night work so far and I'm finally close except for one headlight which only wants to be 1/4 as bright as the other on low beam.